Better Price – PCC or TA ?

FLchick2

Hi Everyone,

I just booked my second NCL cruise with an online TA. I got a really great price.

Do you ever save money using a PCC?

Will the PCC match a rate you received from a TA?

Just wondering what (if any) financial benefit there is to using a PCC.

Thanks in advance!

You'll usually save $$ with a TA. They'll offer things like OBC's to make it worth your while to book with them.

The only real advantage to booking with a PCC is that you own your reservation and can call NCL at anytime to make any changes you may need. When you book with a TA, all questions about your reservation must go through them.

Although TAs cannot discount the price, there are many ways that the financial benefits are usually better (if not, you should shop around). As already mentioned, most larger agencies block groups of cabins when they are first offered, and can pass along those savings or prices to the consumer. Cruiselines also offer incentives to agencies, which again, can be passed along. Agents may be allowed to utilize their commission to grant OBC or other perks.

There are pros and cons. Those who feel a real need to "control" their reservation book direct. We've found we get a better price or perks through a TA, and have received up to $600 pp OBC. Of course, it pays to shop around and find a TA that best meets your needs.

I fall into the camp of wanting complete control over everything, so I avoid TAs. A couple of times I entertained the idea of using a TA but found they were lacking. The first time was in October or November last year. I knew the date, ship, and cabin we wanted (Celebrity Eclipse, Aqua class). From CC, I saw a couple of TAs they suggested for Celebrity. The TA's website promised special prices or OBC for the cruise I wanted. When I contacted them, the TA sounded disappointed I wanted Aqua and not a standard balcony (Aqua is more than a standard balcony for those not familiar with Celebrity). After discovering I was pretty set on Aqua, he said he'd have to investigate and call me later if they can do anything for me. A day later, he calls and says that they can't do anything for me despite their website offering OBC for that particular cruise. So I booked directly with Celebrity. Earlier this year, I decided to try again but with a TA a fellow CC member highly recommended. Although I would have received a decent OBC, I thought their telephone etiquette and service were lacking. So I opted to go solo gain. A couple of weeks ago, I spoke with a NCL personal cruise consultant and thought she was great. So I ended up booking three cruises with her. I am pretty happy with the OBC received from them and like knowing that she is only a phone call away to address any questions/changes I have.

A couple of weeks ago, I spoke with a NCL personal cruise consultant and thought she was great. So I ended up booking three cruises with her. I am pretty happy with the OBC received from them and like knowing that she is only a phone call away to address any questions/changes I have.

My wife and I booked with a TA after she found a lower price advertised for the cruise we wanted to go on. The TA was nice and friendly up front, but after she got our deposit she didn't really want to talk to us again until final payment. Maybe one day I'll find a good TA like some people on here have found. Until then, my next cruise is booked with NCL directly.

• 3 months later...
My wife and I booked with a TA after she found a lower price advertised for the cruise we wanted to go on. The TA was nice and friendly up front, but after she got our deposit she didn't really want to talk to us again until final payment. Maybe one day I'll find a good TA like some people on here have found. Until then, my next cruise is booked with NCL directly.

I have your experience too. TA is not as 'available' after the initial booking and I definitely knew more than she did about the cruises so it is just too frustrating to have to wait for them to do things for me. Rather book through NCL directly and have total control over my booking. Also, my TA never did anything extra for me and got no extra perks so really no gain to use them vs NCL. Glad others have better luck.

As ridiculous as this sounds and I heard this first hand from my PCC, the best prices are Costco. Yes he actually said this to me because I was pissed off that I got a better price thru Amex TA than thru NCL. I feel NCL should offer the lowest and best prices

I'm for booking direct and often book far out so that I can jump on any price drops or promo's which happen often. I'm still not convinced u get better price via on line TA Ive done that in the early years of cruising when I didn't know to compare apples to apples.

I have not had luck with TA's. My first cruise was booked through a TA that told me that it was just a waste of money to fly from BOS to FLL the day prior to the cruise. He said he always flys down the day of embarkation. Well if my wife and I didn't almost have coronarys wondering if the ship would leave without us due to delayed flights. We made it, but that was the only time we flew day of. Also that was the most expensive cruise we ever took. We were even charged $90 for him to book our flights per person, there were three of us including our 11 yo son.

Next cruise was booked with another highly rated agency. Our new TA said this other cruise line was better than the one we took the first time. This cruise was our 2nd most expensive cruise. We cruised, but we did not find the new (to us) cruise line was any better. Later she told us that she had never cruised any line except the one she booked for us. How can that be objective?

Afterwards I found out that I could book directly with out a TA. Our cruises now cost only about 1/2 to 3/4 the prices from the TA's I have worked with. I do like being able to go to the cruiseline web sites and look at the details of my reservations too.

I always hear of others who do have good TA's. I guess if you can find a good one, hold on to them.

Jon

There is no one correct answer.

If people are solely looking for price, shopping around is their best option.

If people want to deal with NCL's direct sales team 'a PCC' that's an option also.

But if you're using a TA Remember they work for you! Don't let them talk you into something you're not comfortable with.

If you are relying on a TA's knowledge remember everyone has a different specialty or knowledge base. Just because a foot dr is a doctor doesn't mean he's going to answer a question about your migraines.

I found my TA on cruise compete. Since then I have recommended many friends and family to book with her. Her price is always comparable or lower than the CL and she always gives us OBC. I will say the first cruise we went on the OBC was amazing since then its gone down a bit. I brought it to her attention and she did say she lures customers in with the big OBC and hopes they stay for her service. Her service is amazing always available price drops at no charge and always gets back to us within 24 hrs. When you use online TA you always risk not getting the OBC since you don't see it til you board. Make sure you use someone reputable. I would rather get a bit less OBC with my current TA than be hopping from TA to TA.

Archived