solo cruising on Princess, your experience/suggestions

vmom

One problem I noticed w/ traditional dining is if the rest of the table doesn't show up. We had a six or 8 top near our 8 top and noticed one day that a lady was sitting at the big table by herself. We just assumed the rest of the table would show up. Next day, same thing (we had late dining and the rest of her table had been trying to get early seating and evidently succeeded). We wound up asking if she would like to join us at our table.
Sitting alone at a table for 2 isn't so bad but at a big table it seems so LONELY. Maybe not to her but it LOOKED lonely to me. Doing select/anytime dining would make it easy to ask to be seated w/ ppl each night.

[quote name='spyro1952'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Would anyone who posted on this thread be interested in doing a solo group cruise on Princess? I'd be more than willing to organize it. I can pretty much cruise at any time as long as I have internet access. Let me know by responding on the thread.[/FONT] :)[/quote]

I would definitely be interested in a solo Princess cruise. I would be open to any ship or itinerary.

I think its a great idea!

[quote name='wizard-of-roz'][COLOR=indigo][B]I think that's really fair and certainly helps in taking the sting out of the supplements.[/B][/COLOR][/quote]

[COLOR=seagreen][B]Yes, but once you reach Elite status, the sting returns.[/B][/COLOR] ;)

[COLOR=indigo][B]Since I travel with a Service Dog dining can be problematic (when I'm a lone) and expecting everyone to love my dog as I do is not fair to some. So, I find that eating in the buffet, when I'm alone can be the best idea. [/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][B]Although, once a lovely couple invited Brenda and me to dine with them in Anytime and it was fun but a bit restricting. I find I'm always checking to make sure that no one's stepping on her head of shuffling their feet and kicking her.......it's sometimes just better to keep her/him in the open, against a wall and tied to a table, with a strong command of "down/stay", I know I have a short window to go, get my food and come right back.[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][B]There's always a dining room staff person who will watch her/him for me to just make sure she doesn't take off with the table![/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='Ldyandrea']I've cruised and traveled internationally as a solo traveler for years, and I love it! It's fun to have friends around too, but it is great to have the freedom of doing what you like without having to consult other people. Sleep in, or get up to watch the sun come up....head to bed early, or stay out til OMG-thirty in the morning........play some slots, play some bingo, play trivia, or just sit out on the pool deck and read a book. You can do whatever you like whenever!

I have attended some of the solo traveler gatherings on Princess, and the folks who showed up were definitely not of the "younger kids" crowd. I think you'll do just fine! Additionally, I find that hanging out at the lounges on your own pretty much guarantees that you'll have someone to talk to shortly. I've met lots of people and had some lovely conversations while out in the public spaces of the ship. You might also check out the trivia games, bingo, and other activities as a way to meet new folks as well.

If you want to look at some dedicated singles cruises, just do a google search under those key words and you'll find some options to do so.

Personally, I have my next solo cruise coming up on the Caribbean Princess going from SJU to NYC on 4/29. Haven't yet done a repo cruise, so this should be fun!

Hope you decide to head out and sail on your own. I'm sure you'll have a great time! :)[/quote]
I'm doing the same cruise as a solo! I love it, the only thing I don't like is having to pay for two. My last cruise as single was March 2011, I did the Wester Caribbean on the Crown Princess. I upgraded myself to a Balcony and loved it! I spent a lot of time on the Balcony, just reading and enjoying the ocean. I have people say to me " how can you travel on your own" my feeling is if waited for someone else when I want to go then I would still be waiting! So I say go and enjoy!!!!

[quote name='stoneharborlady']As a long time devotee of Cruise Critic, although I have only cruised twice myself, in reading posts and reviews by many others I must disagree that few choose the traditional dining route. Traditional seems to be the one that is always waitlisted, and that folks are trying to get into. I did anytime once, and much prefer traditional.[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree with you! I have found it quite difficult to get first traditional dining - it is always full!

[quote name='spyro1952'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Ok, this is a good start. Since we are almost half way thru 2012, 2013 is a great option.
1.How many days could you all get away for?
2.Do you like sun and beach, exotic places, repositioning?
3. Anyone partial to a particular ship?

I just booked a window suite on the Caribbean transatlantic (15 days) for next April at a ridiculously low price. I'm not sure if I'll be solo or my friend will come but repositioning cruises are a great value if anyone's interested in that. Let me know your thoughts!!
[/FONT][/quote]
[COLOR=Purple]
I've never have cruise solo.....I have traveled solo and do love it. I would consider going solo with a group after Jan. 2013. My answers to your questions are below:

[/COLOR][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Purple][COLOR=Black][I]1.How many days could you all get away for?[/I][/COLOR]
7 Days if going out from West coast or Gulf coast.

[COLOR=Black][I]2.Do you like sun and beach, exotic places, repositioning?[/I][/COLOR]
I like sun, beach...no repositioning at this time

[COLOR=Black][I]3. Anyone partial to a particular ship?[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=Purple]
I like all the ships.

Hope we can work something out!

I came back to add this thread link to my post. It is a thread devoted to Solo-Single Bargins CC members find. Make sure to click to the last page. It is an ongoing-updated thread. Check it out:

[URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=851324"]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=851324[/URL][/COLOR]

I'm watching this thread to see what develops. I've cruised solo but it would depend on the time/ship etc if I were to be ready to commit. I'm pretty go-with-the-flow so I'll see what others come up with.

And isn't it funny and interesting (at least for me) the difference between cruising "single" (I'm not) and cruising solo (I'd definitely do again.) Similar words but w/ a pretty different connotation IMHO.

LOL Bugsy. I hope I didn't come off as judgmental. All of us have been single. Some of us over and over again. So single (or not) is good. I'm in a relationship w/ my darling who can't get a lot of time off nor can he afford to cruise often. So a "singles" cruise is out of the question, but a "solo" cruise is not. Maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better about it! LOL....
"Gee sweetie, I'm not cruising w/ SINGLES. I'm cruising w/ SOLOS!" LOL

[quote name='bighairtexan']LOL Bugsy. I hope I didn't come off as judgmental. All of us have been single. Some of us over and over again. So single (or not) is good. I'm in a relationship w/ my darling who can't get a lot of time off nor can he afford to cruise often. So a "singles" cruise is out of the question, but a "solo" cruise is not. Maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better about it! LOL....
"Gee sweetie, I'm not cruising w/ SINGLES. I'm cruising w/ SOLOS!" LOL[/QUOTE]

Nah not judgemental at all. By the way hopefully by the end of this summer I'll be a resident of the great state of Texas :D

[quote name='bighairtexan']I like the "end of the summer" thing. I'm telling you last summer was BRUTAL and might make you change your mind. About 70 days in a row of temps over 100. YIPES! Then again we pretty much never have to shovel snow!!![/QUOTE]

Oh I know. I was down there last August looking at homes :D

[quote name='vmom']Thank you all so much for your encouragement and suggestions. Now I'm excited to give solo traveling a try. I am outgoing and really enjoy meeting new people but not yet adjusted to being alone yet so your encouragement has been very helpful.

Am thinking of a fall 7 day Caribbean cruise or maybe a 10 day on the Emerald to start off with.

[/quote]

I took a 10 day cruise on the Emerald back in February around the Caribbean and had a wonderful time solo. I had great help from members of the Roll Call, both before and during the cruise, and never felt lonely at all. People were just so friendly and my dinner companions in Traditional Dining were lovely!

Yes, there were times when it would have been nice to share thoughts and experiences with someone who knew me well, but overall I had a ball!!

Cruising solo beats holidaying alone in a resort hotel hands down!!!

[quote name='bighairtexan']LOL Bugsy. I hope I didn't come off as judgmental. All of us have been single. Some of us over and over again. So single (or not) is good. I'm in a relationship w/ my darling who can't get a lot of time off nor can he afford to cruise often. So a "singles" cruise is out of the question, but a "solo" cruise is not. Maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better about it! LOL....
"Gee sweetie, I'm not cruising w/ SINGLES. I'm cruising w/ SOLOS!" LOL[/quote]

[COLOR=Purple]Sharon,
I know exactly how you feel...my DH vacation time is limited also, whereas I can take as much or as little time off work as I want since I have a home/online biz of my own. So taking vacations as a solo or with the 'girls' is always fun for me. I would certainly enjoy a solo cruise and will do one for sure.:D[/COLOR]

Archived