We are grateful....

jacksan1

and we so wish we could mention our TA's name here (we are not doing that) because my wife and I have received an unbelievable level of service from our travel agent in booking with Celebrity. Here is what happened:

In May 2011, aboard the Celebrity Equinox, we made a booking for a westbound transatlantic cruise in December 2012. As you know, booking while cruising entitles you to a nice OBC (ours was $300) as well as a free cabin upgrade and a reduced deposit. This booking then went to our TA, who has always been wonderful to us.

Recently, we have realized that we will not be able to make the above December 2012 transatlantic cruise, so contacted our TA to book the same cruise, but in December 2013.

As many of you know, if you cancel a booking that you have made while cruising, it creates a clean slate - meaning that the special OBC, reduced deposit, free upgrades and on disappear, and you have to start anew with a full deposit, no OBC and the like. And we were prepared for all that.

But, our TA, whose name and company we wish we could mention here but cannot, worked extra hard to advocate for us. He kept the original OBC of $300 and transferred it to the new booking. He kept the reduced deposit and successfully applied it to the new booking. He kept even the same exact cabin (#1075) we had originally chosen. We are just blown away by his service! Our TA had to talk to and persuade Celebrity into doing all this because normally cruise lines do not allow any of this.

Again, we know the rule here that we cannot mention the names of TAs or even something that can potentially identify the agents, so we will stop here. But we are hoping that this posting will stay, just as a proof that caring, helpful and professional agents are out there, and that ours is just that, and we are grateful for his service. We just hoped to share this story of excellence by a certain TA without infringing upon the forum rule.

Thanks all!

and we so wish we could mention our TA's name here (we are not doing that) because my wife and I have received an unbelievable level of service from our travel agent in booking with Celebrity. Here is what happened:

In May 2011, aboard the Celebrity Equinox, we made a booking for a westbound transatlantic cruise in December 2012. As you know, booking while cruising entitles you to a nice OBC (ours was $300) as well as a free cabin upgrade and a reduced deposit. This booking then went to our TA, who has always been wonderful to us.

Recently, we have realized that we will not be able to make the above December 2012 transatlantic cruise, so contacted our TA to book the same cruise, but in December 2013.

As many of you know, if you cancel a booking that you have made while cruising, it creates a clean slate - meaning that the special OBC, reduced deposit, free upgrades and on disappear, and you have to start anew with a full deposit, no OBC and the like. And we were prepared for all that.

But, our TA, whose name and company we wish we could mention here but cannot, worked extra hard to advocate for us. He kept the original OBC of $300 and transferred it to the new booking. He kept the reduced deposit and successfully applied it to the new booking. He kept even the same exact cabin (#1075) we had originally chosen. We are just blown away by his service! Our TA had to talk to and persuade Celebrity into doing all this because normally cruise lines do not allow any of this.

Again, we know the rule here that we cannot mention the names of TAs or even something that can potentially identify the agents, so we will stop here. But we are hoping that this posting will stay, just as a proof that caring, helpful and professional agents are out there, and that ours is just that, and we are grateful for his service. We just hoped to share this story of excellence by a certain TA without infringing upon the forum rule.

Thanks all!

I hate to burst your balloon, but any reasonably competent TA could do the same thing. If the same cabin were available on the new sailing. It is not true that normally cruise lines to not allow any of this. Well, I don't know about other cruise lines, but I have personal experience with Celebrity. It is simply a matter of moving your booking number (which was associated with your passages cert) to the new booking. Then the OBC and the reduced deposit comes along with it. I have personally experienced this.

I have also changed sailings with Celebrity and kept the onboard booking perks. As long as you keep the original booking/reservation number, you can switch cruises and keep OBC and other benefits. I have even done this when switching between a RCI ship and a Celebrity ship - kept the same booking number and also the perks.

But I am glad that you love your TA, it is nice to have someone reliable you can trust.

Happy Cruiser is correct.

Furthermore, you could have done the same thing yourself even if you had booked directly with Celebrity and used no TA at all.

As long as it is before final payment (which your original cruise definitely was), anyone can cancel a booking and move a Celebrity Passage to another cruise.

This TA should be a successful one since he was able to make such a strong impression with the techniques he used, convincing you to believe that he "worked extra hard" to do you a favor while conveniently overlooking the fact that he was the one who benefited the most by getting to keep his commission.

But apparently you are very pleased with him, and that is what matters.

Oh we did not know all that! Thanks. But our TA is still very helpful, and it is good to know that he has given us everything that was supposed to happen.:)

And he gave us $200 OBC of his, so we now have a combined $500 OBC.

It is so nice to see someone posting that they are happy about something. It makes a pleasant change from the complaining threads that we often see.

To the Original Poster (OP): thank you for starting a happy thread. :)

It is so nice to see someone posting that they are happy about something. It makes a pleasant change from the complaining threads that we often see.

That is SO nice of you to say. Thank you! :)

And we have learned a lot about cruise booking by this thread. We feel better educated. :p

I agree 100%. I've even decided in the interests of my sanity to quit reading negatively titled posts.

Oh we did not know all that! Thanks. But our TA is still very helpful, and it is good to know that he has given us everything that was supposed to happen.:)

And he gave us $200 OBC of his, so we now have a combined $500 OBC.

It does feel great when your TA goes to bat for you like this doesn't it? I don't care if all good or competent TA's can do it, some don't. It's refreshing to see someone not just take it for granted but to be indeed grateful.

We have a wonderful TA too and I'd never ever change (as long as she's a TA). Perhaps, to some, she doesn't do anything truly unusual, but for us she's always been on the ball, pleasanat, efficient, never tired of our questions and/or changes, generous with her OBC gifts and I know if we ever got into a traveling problem, she'd also be there to help us out with that. So I understand your OP about being grateful for them. :D

In looking at some transatlantic cruises for next year, I noticed that many categories are priced lower than for the same cruises this year.

I hope your TA informed you that you are entitled to receive any price drops offered up until final payment.

Price drops must be requested as they are not issued automatically.

Since you are using a TA, you cannot request price drops yourself but must have the TA do it for you. So anytime you see a lower price for the category you booked, immediately contact your TA.

Also, if you see a higher category stateroom for the same price you paid, or for less, or even for a little more, you may want to upgrade.

(Unless you have booked a Penthouse Suite :) )

Yes, it is sometimes possible to find a higher category priced lower than a lower category. The prices keep fluctuating, sometimes even changing day to day as it is all supply and demand, much like airline ticket prices.

So sometimes a lower category sells out and then the prices drop on a category above it that still has a lot of empty cabins to sell.

Since your cruise is so far away, you may yet find some nice price drops before final payment.

(There are some exceptions for which you would not be eligible; for example, special rates for new bookings only.)

Also check for any special category discounts for which you may qualify (such as senior or military or resident rates).

Those special rates come and go. It can be easy to miss them. Some TAs find them for their customers, but that doesn't always happen so it is a good idea to keep an eye out for them on your own.

Good job by the TA to be aware of how to make the transfer of booking.

The only penalty from doing so is that you lose the 3 cat upgrade you might have received from booking on board.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Archived