Get me excited about Miracle Panama Canal

Cruise Arizona

Hi, I know there are a lot of fun loving enthusiastic Carnival cruisers over here and I need a little evangelizing.

Here's my background. My husband and I have really enjoyed Celebrity over the past years. We've cruises both with our kids and as just a couple 8 times since 2003. We like the excellent service and laid back elegant ambiance.

However, we are trying to be open to new ideas and new things, and we know that while Carnival Miracle may not have a laid back elegant ambiance, there are lots of other things at which Carnival excels.

To name just a few, we think the kids, now teens, will really like the teen activities and the water slide. I think the Steak House might be a nice option for my husband and I to have for a romantic evening. I am some what of hobby singer and enjoy performing and Karaoke. I've heard Carnival does a great job with Karaoke and sing alongs. Maybe even there are a few places like the new serenity area that we might be able to find a laid back elegant ambiance.

The cruise we are strongly considering is the 15 day New York to LA cruise next spring. Our kids' high school as a two week spring break and the have searched high and low for a vacation option that fits into our budget and vacation dates. This is one of the only cruises that fits perfectly into that scenario. My husband likes longer cruises and the kids would probably enjoy both the itinerary and the amenities. At the end of the cruise we have an easy flight home from LA.

So I need a little evangelizing. What will I love about Carnival that I might not have even known I was missing on previous cruises? What makes a Carnival cruise really special? What areas where I find that Carnival will exceed my expectations?

p.s. My husband and I are wine lovers so if you have any information about wine selection and service that would be appreciated too.

Hi, I know there are a lot of fun loving enthusiastic Carnival cruisers over here and I need a little evangelizing.

Here's my background. My husband and I have really enjoyed Celebrity over the past years. We've cruises both with our kids and as just a couple 8 times since 2003. We like the excellent service and laid back elegant ambiance.

However, we are trying to be open to new ideas and new things, and we know that while Carnival Miracle may not have a laid back elegant ambiance, there are lots of other things at which Carnival excels.

To name just a few, we think the kids, now teens, will really like the teen activities and the water slide. I think the Steak House might be a nice option for my husband and I to have for a romantic evening. I am some what of hobby singer and enjoy performing and Karaoke. I've heard Carnival does a great job with Karaoke and sing alongs. Maybe even there are a few places like the new serenity area that we might be able to find a laid back elegant ambiance.

The cruise we are strongly considering is the 15 day New York to LA cruise next spring. Our kids' high school as a two week spring break and the have searched high and low for a vacation option that fits into our budget and vacation dates. This is one of the only cruises that fits perfectly into that scenario. My husband likes longer cruises and the kids would probably enjoy both the itinerary and the amenities. At the end of the cruise we have an easy flight home from LA.

So I need a little evangelizing. What will I love about Carnival that I might not have even known I was missing on previous cruises? What makes a Carnival cruise really special? What areas where I find that Carnival will exceed my expectations?

p.s. My husband and I are wine lovers so if you have any information about wine selection and service that would be appreciated too.

Hi:

I singend up for that same boat trip. I think it will be fun too just like the other cruses I been on! The Manicle really will sail from Sea to shining Sea too! Maybe you can be in the Harry Chest Contest...that is fun too.

Hi:

I singend up for that same boat trip. I think it will be fun too just like the other cruses I been on! The Manicle really will sail from Sea to shining Sea too! Maybe you can be in the Harry Chest Contest...that is fun too.

LOL I'm the female half of the picture but maybe I'll get my husband to enter!:p

I wish I could do this cruise! Unfortunately, we can't take the required time off. DH and I are in our early 50s; as you will see in my signature, we've cruised only Carnival. It suits us well; we're not party-hearty types, we don't participate in silly games (although we've been known to watch the hairy chest competition:o), and we do dress up for elegant nights (although we've gotten away from having our sons wear tuxes, much to their relief), and we find there are lots of people aboard who are just like us. Other people really get into the games and parties, but what I really like is that Carnival gives you the opportunity to do whatever suits you - whether you want to be part of everything or just chill out with a book. On a two-week cruise, I suspect you'll find a laid-back crowd that isn't into party-till-you-drop.

We did an 8-day NYC-Caribbean cruise on Miracle 3 years ago - the two sons who went with us were 13 and 9 at the time. Both of them love the water slides and the mini golf. The older one also spent a lot of time playing basketball, either with kids from the kids' club or playing a pickup game with any other kids he met there. There's also an arcade; on our last cruise, the older one had a challenge going with some of the other kids playing air hockey. (He finally lost a game on the last sea day.)

Steakhouse - You will enjoy it. The Spirit-class ships have the nicest steakhouses in the fleet, with a portion of the funnel serving as a skylight. The food and the service are excellent. You might also enjoy trying the Chef's Table, which is a "foodie" experience - the chef d'cuisine gives a galley tour with appetizers and prepares a multi-course meal for 12-14 people. It's $75 and worth every penny.

I've never had a complaint about the dining room on any Carnival ship. There have been a few dishes here and there that I didn't enjoy, but you run into that anywhere. One thing Carnival does especially well for me are soups - they've all been excellent. The buffet area on this class of ship tends to get crowded, especially on port days when the dining room is closed for lunch, so I would recommend going either early or later for lunch.

Wine - You can purchase a five-bottle package aboard. There are three levels (regular, deluxe, premium). We've generally done fairly well with these wines. Zydecocruiser has a recent listing at http://zydecocruiser.net/Bloggers2012/02_Embarkation/Embark2.htm. There is also a full by-the-bottle wine list.

As for Miracle's decor - I think you'll be surprised. Yes, there are some rather garish spaces (IMHO, Miracle has the ugliest dining room afloat:p). However, as you walk along the Promenade Deck you will see lounges with old-time photos of NYC that are really interesting. The fountain on deck 2 forward is really nice. Serenity wasn't on Miracle when we sailed, but we've sailed on other Carnival ships with Serenity and it is really a nice, quiet area. We've never had a problem on any of the Spirit-class ships in finding some out-of-the-way area to get a specialty coffee and play rummy on sea day mornings, which has become our cruise routine.:)

I would love to take my kids on a Panama Canal cruise. Five years ago we did a cruise that stopped at Colon and we took a tour to the Gatun Locks to watch container ships lock through. Our oldest son was fascinated. Today, he's a junior at the US Merchant Marine Academy, studying to become a licensed ship's engineer. He's done two Panama Canal transits and describes them as among the high points of his sailing experience.

I hope I've been a decent evangelist here....:D

We've been on the Miracle 2x. I agree with NYbumpkins thoughts on the dining room. It's over the top. We'll be on the Splendor going around South America on it's way to NYC while the Miracle is going to LA.

I think you'll find a good mix of people on the Miracle, especially on the longer cruises. We aren't the partying type either, we like the laid back atmosphere and we can always find a quiet area to read. We also like the comedians and live musicians. A nice quiet area is Gatsby's Gardens which is deck 3 around the theater. It has seating and windows that let in the light. We also were on before the Serenity was added so I can't tell you about the area.

Have a great cruise!

One more thing. You are allowed 1 bottle of wine per person over 21 in your carry on when boarding the ship. You may be charged a corkage fee of $15 (I think it could be higher) if you bring the bottle to the dining room with you. I have been charged 2x in 6 cruises. The last cruise we took was a 15 day and I purchased the basket that had a bottle of wine, crackers, fruit, and cheese. The food was nice when we needed a snack but didn't want to over do it. You can check the Bon Voyage section of the web site for the different items offered (http://www.carnival.com/BonVoya/Default.aspx?cat=Gourmet+Delights) they also sell wine packages here.

They also usually have a wine and food pairing demonstration one sea day I always wanted to try it, other have said it is good.

I also forgot Tea Time, 3:00 or 3:30 on the Miracle it is in the dining rooms upper section. The scones and pastries they serve are very good.

@CruiseA... We sailed the Carnival Paradise from LA to Tampa last year and it was great. We loved the ports as well as the quiet days at sea (and of course the canal transit). Our sailing was between Thanksgiving and Christmas so there were almost no kids or families, in your case, being mid-March, I would expect more but suspect the 15 days will limit how many. For us, it was our first at most of the ports visited and our first 14-day sailing, Cartagena (even with the recent SS news) was our favorite and we can't wait to go back.

Oh, btw, we went through 28 bottles of Red Wine in 14-days, so buy the coupons and save a few $$ for other things. ;)

As far as the ship, we sailed the Mircle years ago out of Miami and loved it (even the dining room).

B&B

They also usually have a wine and food pairing demonstration one sea day I always wanted to try it, other have said it is good.

I also forgot Tea Time, 3:00 or 3:30 on the Miracle it is in the dining rooms upper section. The scones and pastries they serve are very good.

I forgot to mention these! We did the wine and food pairing and it was really good. You get a selection of 5 or 6 wines to try with various cheeses, fruits and crackers - it's really amazing how wine can taste different depending on the food served.

Last year on Glory they also had a cooking demonstration in the steakhouse at lunchtime. They had a mushroom cappuccino (essentially a mushroom puree soup), a spinach salad with sautéed mushrooms, broiled chicken with a port wine reduction, and tiramisu. Samples for everyone - I didn't need much in the way of lunch afterward.

Also love tea time. The scones are to die for.:cool:

I know you didn't ask for specific info re the Canal, but I would be remiss if I didn't recommend the book The Path Between the Seas by David McCullough.

It is a wonderful account of the history of the Panama Canal and well worth the read.

Carole

Being a singing enthusiast, you may enjoy the Live Star Karaoke, karaoke with a live band. Very fun, but the song choices are limited and they cannot change the key for you.

There is also the talent show, Legends. You can "audition" at karaoke night (the specific artist auditions for that evening are listed in the Fun Times.) Sometimes it's really easy to pass the audition as no one else is willing to perform in the show lounge. But they have costumes and wigs and the Carnival dancers will be on stage with you when you perform. It really is fun.

You have me looking into this cruise now. We really enjoyed the Miracle last year and are cruising on her again next week.

Hi Cruz Az.

DW and I are on that sailing as well. We have cruised Carnival MANY times and I still love it. I am a later 50's guy who loves to party. I can be found most nights dancing in the disco until closing time. I also tend to frequent the late night karaoke location (doing old school rap of course...).

However, I also like to lounge around and do nothing during the day but read, watch TV, and take naps. And that's OK too.

As for the food, I like it. I am a simple food kinda guy who hates weeds in a salad or sauces on my meat. For me, Carnival is just right. We just finished a 9 day MR on the Spirit and the new menu suited me just fine. I loved the gourmet burger, the meatloaf, and the bacon mac & cheese. I could have lived the entire cruise on the comfort menu alone. But that's just me.....

As was stated by an earlier poster, I also really like the Spirit class ships. Very easy to get around and learn the floorplan. Just enough space/passengers that it doesn't feel too crowded. Sure, the buffet gets crowded at 9, 12, and 5, but the salad bar rarely has a line, and there are 2 hot dog, burger, and chili bars for a quick fix. Or I can call room service and have a wonderful bay shrimp sandwich delivered to my room.

After it's drydock, Miracle also gained a new serenity deck that is common on this class ship. Some love it and others hate it, but it is a nice place to relax on those ample sea days. With all the chair hogs in full force it is often hard to get a lounger, but they have nice pads on them if you can get one.

For the kids, most Spirit class ships have a nice waterslide and some have a waterpark. On the Spirit we had Green Thunder (youtube it to see what a rush it is) added in drydock.

All in all, if you can live with a bit simpler (yet still very good) food, and not too many frills, you will have a great time on Carnival. I certainly do. And this cruise fulfills 2 of my desires... going to New York and going through the Panama Canal. What more could I ask for?

Bob

Hi:

Good Evening

Harry loves the Hairy Chest Contest. I prefer the drunk making contest on sea days. Woooo Hoooooo

I forgot to mention these! We did the wine and food pairing and it was really good. You get a selection of 5 or 6 wines to try with various cheeses, fruits and crackers - it's really amazing how wine can taste different depending on the food served.

Last year on Glory they also had a cooking demonstration in the steakhouse at lunchtime. They had a mushroom cappuccino (essentially a mushroom puree soup), a spinach salad with sautéed mushrooms, broiled chicken with a port wine reduction, and tiramisu. Samples for everyone - I didn't need much in the way of lunch afterward.

Also love tea time. The scones are to die for.:cool:

Aren't the scones amazing? :D

I hope the Glory has the cooking demo when we're on her in June, it's a 4 day so, they may not have it.

Does any body know where I can look at the MDR wine list? Just curious about the prices and selection. We usually select moderately priced wines but occasionally we will splurge for some thing special.

Also cooking demonstrations? My teenage daughter is quite the cook!!! She would love to attend some demonstrations and lessons. We she be allowed to participate in the chef's table (sans alcohol)? I know I can look it up but does anybody know off the top of their head what the min age is for the Steak House?

Oh almost forgot, how much is an internet package on Carnival?

We like fancy food, but don't know that we'd really notice the difference. The buffet food and grill food look very good in pictures too.

You'll LOVE the Miracle. And the dining room....I swear, if I hadn't read about the "decor" in every single post about the ship, I would hardly have noticed that it was a bit....over the top! As carynh mentioned, look for Gatsby's Garden. It's easy to miss. We did the cooking demo when we went last May for the lst time and it was wonderful. Go EARLY and get a seat in the front! HAVE FUN planning!

Does any body know where I can look at the MDR wine list? Just curious about the prices and selection. We usually select moderately priced wines but occasionally we will splurge for some thing special.

Also cooking demonstrations? My teenage daughter is quite the cook!!! She would love to attend some demonstrations and lessons. We she be allowed to participate in the chef's table (sans alcohol)? I know I can look it up but does anybody know off the top of their head what the min age is for the Steak House?

We like fancy food, but don't know that we'd really notice the difference. The buffet food and grill food look very good in pictures too.

No minimum age for either the Chef's Table or the steakhouse. No reduction in price, either. They will provide unlimited non-alcoholic drinks at Chef's Table - we had some underage folks who had sparkling cider during the appetizer round, then soda during dinner.

We brought our then 10 YO to the steakhouse on Pride two years ago. He knew the menu ahead of time (thanks, zydecocruiser) and did pretty well with the appetizer and salad. He started to falter with the entree (managed the lobster tail just fine but couldn't finish the filet) and left before dessert.

There are several Internet packages available. Usually you can get some pretty good deals if you sign up on the first day (if you know you're going to use the time). The Internet on the ship is slow, though.

Suzanne

There is no minimum age for the Chef's table. If you think your teens have the attention span and are willing to pay the $75 charge for them then they can enjoy it.

Same for the Steakhouse. Kids of any age who are used to fine dining and lingering over their meal will love it. I would actually take my steak loving 9 yr old grandson. He is quite the young Foodie! It is $35.

The Serenity Deck is not, however, a place that teens will be welcome as it is Adults only. But the Waterslides are nearby and they would likely be happier there anyway!

My husband and I are also taking the Canal Transit cruise and we have been on the Miracle before. The decor is a matter of taste. And there are a lot of places to relax and play cards or visit with a friend or 2 over Sushi or hors d'oeuvres.

Carnival is more of a relaxed/Come as you are kind of line. Great for family cruises.

I don't remember how much internet is. We just get a minimum pkg for my husband to check on business a couple times. Someone else may know. If you decide to book we hope to see you on the Roll Call!

I would love to do this cruise but I have to say I dont think my boys (17 and 19) would. I think it being a longer cruise there probably wont be alot of families onboard with older(teen) kids because most will be in school. Have you considered a back to back? You would get the longer cruise you desire and there might be more teens for the kids. Alot of the ships do 2 different itineraries so you could visit more ports. I picture an older crowd on the 14+ day cruises. Just thinking of my kids. Have a great time.

I would love to do this cruise but I have to say I dont think my boys (17 and 19) would. I think it being a longer cruise there probably wont be alot of families onboard with older(teen) kids because most will be in school. Have you considered a back to back? You would get the longer cruise you desire and there might be more teens for the kids. Alot of the ships do 2 different itineraries so you could visit more ports. I picture an older crowd on the 14+ day cruises. Just thinking of my kids. Have a great time.

We are on this cruise too...with teens...18 and 16...we felt it was worth taking them from school for 2 weeks for the experience. This itinerary is nicely broken up, alternating port and sea days, which I think will help with the teens. This is a the cruise of a lifetime for us, and cannot wait. We love the Miracle too, and it will be our 3rd time aboard her! Also, I love the whimsy of the MDR!

What can I say I have weird kids. Most of our cruises have been on Celebrity when school was in session at least part of the time. That was when they were in elementary school and the school was very flexible about them missing school. Now that they are in high school we all feel like too much is at stake for them to miss school.

And this is the wierd part... on many of those cruises they were among a handful of kids on the ship... one a TA it was them two toddlers and one other teenage boy who was sailing around the world with his family for a year. (His Dad, Grandfather, and Brother were sailing across the Atlantic on a family sail boat, and he and his mother were on the Summit because she got too sea sick on their first crossing. It was so nice meeting them...) They were pre-teens then, but they really liked being some of the only kids on board. They liked the individual attention from the youth counselors and having some flexibility in the the scheduling. They also got a big kick out of dressing up for formal nights and all the positive attention they got from crew and fellow passengers.

Any way, we are trying to decide between this cruise and a BTB on Celebrity. The pricing is about $1000 more for the BTB on Celebrity, but because we have so many Celebrity cruises under our belt we qualify for lots of freebies, the most attractive of which is a two hour free coctail party every night from 5-7. We get some free Wifi, two bags of laundry, and a few other hosted events. I tried to put a dollar value on the some of those benefits and I figured it is worth about $1000 over two weeks.

Both options are very attractive but both have a bit of sticker shock... at over 7K for two weeks of cruising. Those prices are not really that outrageous, but we have been spoiled by taking most of our cruises during off peak times and two recent TA's that were about 1/2 that price.

My daughter and I told my husband that we should just get either a plain outside cabin or an inside and just hand out on the upper decks instead of the balcony, but he is so attached to his balcony, that he finds it hard to think about cruising with-out one.

So we have many things to consider. I was just telling my husband that there would probably be more kids on the BTB Celebrities since most school just have a one week break, but I was looking at the pictures of the Ropes course, mini golf and water slides and thinking that they would really love all those things too. My husband probably needs more convincing to try something new over any one else, he's very set in his way.

Why not a B2B on Carnival?

My husband is kind of set in his ways:rolleyes: and because he knows he likes the Celebrity product it is always his first choice rather than try something new. :rolleyes:

Also the freebies on Celebrity have him sucked into the whole loyalty thing.:D

Me, I'm up for new things, so I just need some good convincing arguments pro Carnival. If any body has a copy of the wine list that would help. I think the Steak House has a different wine list from the MDR, does anybody know if you can order those wines in the MDR?

Archived