Get me excited about Miracle Panama Canal

Cruise Arizona

If he is really stuck on the balcony, have you considered the obstructed view balcony cabins on the Miracle? There is a lifeboat at the railing, you can't look down but you can look out. The cabin is a 7A. There are some still available, they will all be on deck 5. We've stayed in them and have been happy with the views.

I think on a different itinerary the obstructed balcony would be OK, but I think we'd want to be able to look down and see the locks and side of the canal? Just a thought.

I did learn a bit more about pricing and found that only $50 pp is non refundable on the discounted pricing. I thought is was the full $400 pp and I wasn't going to risk $1600 to save 400. But I might be willing to risk $200 to save 400 or more.

Another thought I have put into my decision making process is a comparison for a Panama Canal cruise on Celebrity compared to Panama canal on Carnival. There is a Chirstmas Panama canal cruise we could do no Celebrity, though my husband, who is charming but stubborn, does not want to sail at Christmas. The price on that cruise for a near jr suite size aft family ocean view is over 10K. The price for a regular balcony is over 9k. Those prices make this Carnival cruise look even more attractive. By my stubborn but charming husband says that is not a true comparison because he would never take a Christmas cruise. :p

Maybe I should make my husband take yoga classes so he is more flexible!!!:D

I just googled Carnival Cruise Wine List Prices and went to the Complete Carnival List on their site. I would post a link for you but I think :confused:it is against the rules. So go ahead and give it a try!

We have been looking for a Panama Canal cruise for a few years and this is the first chance we have gotten! Celebrity did it from Baltimore I think 3 years ago but the timing was impossible for us. So we are doing this for the itinerary, not the cruise line or length. :)

I do understand about being attached to the perks! :D We happened to have our first cruise on Carnival so the past guest pricing, and now after 10 cruises the free Laundry/line skipping/priorty reservations..all that neat stuff keeps us loyal more than anything else. But if this itinerary were on another line we would still take it! :D But definately in a Balcony cabin!;)

I think it is good education for your boys to see the Panama Canal and 3rd world peoples too. I plan on waving to the guy that drives the train from my chair ouside on the balcony if it s not raining too hard. And we get to go on 2 oceans blue too.

Thank you Bonnie for the link to the wine list. Big help.

While it is not as extensive as what they inventory on Celebrity they do have a good breadth of wine.

Do you know if that is the complete list, or just the ones that they allow you to pre order? Might there be more selection on board or is this all?

I hope I am not being annoying. I just want to make sure I know the strengths and weakness of a new product. That way I have the right set of expectations when I board. One think I hat is when I'm on a cruise and I just strike up polite conversation and ask "How are you enjoying your cruise." I am always having the time of my life so I expect that the other person will say the same but quite often I hear the response..."Well its OK but it is just not what I'm used to on Cruise Line A." Or even worse "No its just awful.... on cruise line B they have this and this and this and they don't do that one this line."

I want to be the person who says "This is my first time on Carnival and I am loving X,Y, and Z because we've never had that on my previous cruises."

I think on a different itinerary the obstructed balcony would be OK, but I think we'd want to be able to look down and see the locks and side of the canal? Just a thought.

I did learn a bit more about pricing and found that only $50 pp is non refundable on the discounted pricing. I thought is was the full $400 pp and I wasn't going to risk $1600 to save 400. But I might be willing to risk $200 to save 400 or more.

Another thought I have put into my decision making process is a comparison for a Panama Canal cruise on Celebrity compared to Panama canal on Carnival. There is a Chirstmas Panama canal cruise we could do no Celebrity, though my husband, who is charming but stubborn, does not want to sail at Christmas. The price on that cruise for a near jr suite size aft family ocean view is over 10K. The price for a regular balcony is over 9k. Those prices make this Carnival cruise look even more attractive. By my stubborn but charming husband says that is not a true comparison because he would never take a Christmas cruise. :p

Maybe I should make my husband take yoga classes so he is more flexible!!!:D

Good point about wanting to see the locks, I didn't think of that. If you want to be able to see down, you would have to book an unobstructed balcony then.

Do you know if that is the complete list, or just the ones that they allow you to pre order? Might there be more selection on board or is this all?

I found this list on zydecocruiser's website. Not sure of the date, but it looks pretty representative of the dining room wine list that I've seen: http://zydecocruiser.net/menus/winemenu.pdf.

I was just chatting with another customer over at one of the wineries in town while I was picking up some wine for the weekend.

I don't believe that he is an expert at all like our cruise critic members, but he said the following:

"When is the cruise? March, oh you are going to have rowdy college kids throwing up in the pools and peeing in the halls on a Spring Break Carnival cruise."

Two which I said .... "Do you really think that rowdy college kids can afford a two week Panama canal cruise... besides they only get one week off and the cruise is two weeks?" I picture this cruise with nice families and wonderful older couples? Which I think one of our earlier posters had said the same as me.

So from the experts... a two week pretty pricey cruise on Carnival: Rowdy college students or a few nice families and lots of friendly older couples?

We have noticed on our long Celebrity cruises that many people tend to really go all out in tuxedos and gown at maybe as much as 33% that dressy, And dark suits or sports coats and cocktail dresses on about 33% and another 33% in smart casual and choosing alternative dining.

I know Carnival has a more relaxed dress code with only slacks and a dress shirt required for men and a sports coat suggested and dressing up more is OK too. And for the ladies anything from a pants suit to a gown is just fine.

But I was wondering if like on Celebrity a higher percentage tend to go more formal on long cruises than short cruises?

Also, How many dressy nights on a 15 day cruise?

Here's the thing, Carnival does not specialize in long cruises, so some of the questions you have are difficult to answer, such as how people dress on longer cruises. Carnival does mostly 3-7 day itineraries. And, because they don't specialize in long cruises, I have heard that the activities on board are weak on the longer, one time type sailings. You might read some reviews on the Hawaii cruises which is the only regular long cruise Carnival does.

Don't get me wrong, I love Carnival, I have 36 cruises with them and they are always my first choice.

The MDR wine list that someone linked I think may be older. I was on the Dream and there were different selections available and I was told they had just changed over a couple of weeks before I sailed in January. Buy a wine package, it's the best way to go.

I've been through the Canal twice, once on an NCL ship that was leaving the fleet. Had it not been for meeting some really nice people, that cruise would have been flat. It was an older ship without balconies, and I said never would I do the canal again without a balcony. The second time was on Princess and loved the mini-suite with balcony and drinking champagne while we went through the locks. They do regular sailing through the Canal and have very well planned out activities and special events.

Just food for thought.

We cruised thru the canal on the Spirit[Miracles sister ship] and loved it. Out of 17 Carnival cruises, it was my favorite except for the one I went on with the Spirit Dawgs, but that is another story!:D The crowd will be an older crowd, as has already been stated, not many families and younger people have that much time off.The activities are more subdued but not boring by any means. Going thru the canal is an awesome experience. I think the Spirit class is the best class of ship that Carnival has to offer. I don't think you would be disappointed.

Pat

After the dry dock does Miracle have in room Flat Screens and movies. The only reason I ask is that if we do this cruise it will have many sea days and sometimes if the weather isn't good we like to watch movies.

Also, I don't like to spend a lot of time out in the sun, even with an spf 30 I will still burn if I'm out all day, so I was also wondering what kind of day time indoor activities would be typical on Carnival. Trivai? Games, Game Shows? Dance lessons, cooking demo's. For some reason I picture a lot of the day time activities by the pool, and I would go some some but we not want to be outside all day.

Also, some one mention that the activities tend to be more sparse on longer cruises. We noticed even on Celebrity that there was kind of a lack of activities at good times on a consistent basis on one of our TA's. We kind of thought it was just the activities staff and cruise director not knowing how to fill sea days. The next year on a different ship and differnt activities staff that kept us busy with alot of afternoon concerts in the theater, one by a classical pianist, one by the excellent jazz sax player and an ensemble from the jazz orchestra. So if anybody remember what kinds of sea day activities there were on a Canal cruise, that would be great.

Sorry for so many questions, but you guys have been so helpful so far. :D

Suzanne-

There are a couple of my favorite wines that I have had on a ship that are not on the website for pre-order so I'm hoping they are still available when I sail! :) But you can bring a couple bottles of your favorites along also. And on a side note- I have no idea how that link happened in my post!!:confused:

But is was directly to the current Carnival Website.

We have seen lots of sea day activities both in and outdoors. Corn-hole tournaments seem to be the latest fad popular with all of the young adults/older teens. And they are done indoors on a daily basis. Also trivia contests. There is also a Brand new Comedy-Club Brunch that actually debuted on the Miracle that is Family Friendly as well as the nightly Comedy Club that is Family Friendly for only the first show and then is adults only later. We are looking forward to the Brunch on sea days. :D Oh- just remembered there is also a Digital Scavenger Hunt that we did not do but were one of the finds and had our digital images scavenged!

We did go to the Cooking Demo but I was having so much fun when the Wine Tasting happened I forgot to go!

On our longer cruises there have also been far less kids than 7 day itineraries. It will absolutely be too expensive for rowdy College Spring-Breakers! On our last 15 day cruise there were 21 under age 18. The got extra special treatment and customized activities!

And tell your husband the best part of trying Carnival, is that once he does it will save him even more money because he will then get a Past Guest Rate with 2 lines!

Forgot to mention about Movies. We have seen in the daily announcement page that Movies are shown in one of the Lounges on sea days. We have just never gone. I do seem to remember reading that the T.V.s were also changed to Flat Screen.

So come along and join us before the prices go up again!

So many nice people here. 21 sounds like a nice amount of kids. I think our first cruise with the kids to HI had 23 and that was one of our favorite cruises.

What about the dressing up thing. Daughter says I'll be over dressed if I wear any of my long gowns and DH who usually wears a tux or suit on Celebrity says that he's not even bringing a sport coat. I think he should atleast bring the sport coat, but what about the Tux or the Suit. My husband likes to dress up when he fits in but doesn't want to stand out as being over dressed.

So many nice people here. 21 sounds like a nice amount of kids. I think our first cruise with the kids to HI had 23 and that was one of our favorite cruises.

What about the dressing up thing. Daughter says I'll be over dressed if I wear any of my long gowns and DH who usually wears a tux or suit on Celebrity says that he's not even bringing a sport coat. I think he should atleast bring the sport coat, but what about the Tux or the Suit. My husband likes to dress up when he fits in but doesn't want to stand out as being over dressed.

Here's my DH and sons on Glory last summer. If you look at my avatar, you'll see all three boys wearing tuxes. They've outgrown them, but they still wear ties and sport coats:

2020698740094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

DH wears a dark suit, although he has also worn a tux or dinner jacket. There aren't many tuxes anymore, but we still see them. And I wear an ankle-length cocktail dress. Women's outfits tend to run the gamut - everything from gowns to pantsuits.

I would estimate that less than 5% of the men wear tuxes, many more wear suits, and a lot wear sport coats. Your DH certainly would not be out of place with either a suit or a sport coat.

I'll be on the Miracle next year myself, but to Hawaii. I would love to take a Panama Canal cruise as well, so if this upcoming cruise goes pretty well, I would definitely consider Carnival for a future canal cruise too.

Budget will play a big role in my cruise choice as I will be retiring soon and my needs are few. I absolutely loved our Celebrity cruise too, but I will have to go with whatever meets our needs. Our Carnival cruise was on the oldest ship they have, and we enjoyed it. I am certain the Miracle will provide at least as good of an experience as the Fantasy. I guess I feel pretty confident about it because we'll be aboard for 15 days, just like a you would be on your Panama Canal cruise.

We usually jut wear shorts, tshirts and flops to dinner now. Grand Ambassadoer says no need for dress up on his FB page. All will be admitted, we agree with him on who cares how others look, my food is still good or bad!

There will be 2 Elegant nights and I would guess it has gone down to between 10-20% actually in very formal wear. Hard to tell sometimes because so many change to casual after dinner. This Cruise being likely one closer to the 20% because of the demographic. We usually do one in Formal and one comfy Sport Coat ( Hubby) and Slacks with a sequinny top for me. We never feel awkward no matter how we decide to dress.

We usually jut wear shorts, tshirts and flops to dinner now. Grand Ambassadoer says no need for dress up on his FB page. All will be admitted, we agree with him on who cares how others look, my food is still good or bad!

:eek:

Oh Really? Guess you have never been one one of my cruises. :D

These are the two dresses that my daughter thinks would be over doing it on Carnival.

Sorry they are just thumbnails but that is the only way I can load them.

You could wear those. :D You would be in the 10-20% but your daughter could wear what she is comfortable in.

Oh and My Husband has been leaving the Tux home the last few times but still takes a suit except the last time we just did the Pride for total relaxtion and he never wore the Sport coat he took. The Pride tends to be a very casual ship we have noticed- still no flip flops and t-shirts with shorts in the dining room that we saw though. ;)

Archived