Our precruise stay - Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport Cruise Port

Our experience, April 2012:

Once we were in Fort Lauderdale the Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port (1221 W State Road 84 Fort Lauderdale, FLORIDA 33315-2349 954/462-7005) shuttle was already there. (We called from inside baggage claim area on the courtesy phone) A nice, free service that the hotel offers. When we arrived at the hotel the woman at the desk was friendly and helpful. We were quickly checked in and got a room on the first floor. It never occurred to us to ask for a non-smoking room – didn’t know that a smoking room existed anymore! There was a very faint smell of cigarettes, not enough to bother us or ask us to change our room. The hotel is very close to a strip mall – we walked to Big Daddy’s liquor store and got two bottles of wine – they carried my favorite St Michelle’s Riesling – and we bought a bottle of vodka to put in our Shampoozles. Except for our snack pack on the plane we hadn’t eaten yet so walked to Wendy’s (which is in the parking lot of the strip mall) and to McDonalds (same parking lot and about 15 feet from the hotels front door). The bed and pillows were very comfortable – the room was very clean. There is a refrigerator and a microwave, coffee pot and iron/ironing board. We fell asleep shortly after eating our dinner.

In the morning we sat out by the hotels pool and then walked to the Winn Dixie (because I’d never been to one!) and got a pair of sunglasses. Then to the neighboring cigar store and picked up a few cigars for the cruise. We checked out of the hotel around 10:45 and asked the front desk gentleman to call a cab for us. We didn’t take the hotels shuttle van, so many people and so many suitcases (we just took carryon bags) – when an independent shuttle van showed up we negotiated $12 for both of us ($6.00 each). We stopped at one hotel to pick up another couple and then straight to Port Everglades.

I google mapped them - they are about 2 miles apart. The Best Western was very convenient . Since we flew in from Seattle and just did carry on - you can't pack any liquids over 3 ounces - it was nice to be able to walk right out the door of the hotel to get wine and the sunglasses my husband forgot to pack. I'm not familiar with Fort Lauderdale, coming from the total opposite corner of the continental US (!) but was happy with our choice. It's a crap shoot - I felt lucky!

Thanks, I'll check into it. I just booked the LaQuinta Airport for $115, but it is fully cancellable until 24 hours before the cruise. I'm thinking they are all in the same neighborhood??

LQ is 3 I95 exits away from State Rd 84, off Sheridan St.

Archived