Out of Tampa

debnjoe1438

For those who have departed from Tampa. Approximately what time does the ship go under the Sunshine Skyway bridge? I cruised out of Tampa once and I missed it.:( Next time I am hoping to catch it:D

My husband just looked at our pictures from 02/26/2012 and we went under @ 7:05 PM. It was quite an experience.

I'm trying my first picture upload here...hope it works!

This was taken about 2 hrs after sail away, as you can see it was dark outside but absolutely amazing! It was cold, so bring a decent windbreaker as you'll likely be outside for 30 mins or so.

226.jpg.538087071a7708feb351042bdebc4c0a.jpg

This was taken about 2 hrs after sail away' date=' as you can see it was dark outside but absolutely amazing! It was cold, so bring a decent windbreaker as you'll likely be outside for 30 mins or so.[/quote']

Wow what a difference 28 days made in terms of it being lighter out. At the end of Jan. we needed a light jacket also.

This was taken about 2 hrs after sail away' date=' as you can see it was dark outside but absolutely amazing! It was cold, so bring a decent windbreaker as you'll likely be outside for 30 mins or so.[/quote']

When was this picture taken? Thanks for posting. Some day, I'll figure out how to really enlarge the picture:)

What time does the ship usually sail under the bridge when ARRIVING in Tampa? We are scheduled to arrive at 8:00AM

That's what I would like to know, as well. I am on this year's Dawn repo from Quebec City arriving Tampa on 11 November. I believe it will be longer inbound from the bridge to tying up, as slower speeds are necessary when docking than sailing away.

Guess I will have to be up at "Oh Dark Thirty":D

That's what I would like to know, as well. I am on this year's Dawn repo from Quebec City arriving Tampa on 11 November. I believe it will be longer inbound from the bridge to tying up, as slower speeds are necessary when docking than sailing away.

Maybe later on I'll go ask on the Ports departure boards.

I can tell you our arrival time back in Tampa was listed as 8am but we actually arrived much before that. We were docked by 7am so depending on the time of year it might be dark when you go under the bridge coming back into Tampa.

As for the time you pass under leaving Tampa, you can see the bridge far off in the distance as soon you turn the corner right after leaving so you will have plenty of time to line up on deck to get good pics. We were up front near the very forward hot tub and got great pics from that area. Sailaway is a special time for me so I always make sure I am up on deck so I can see everything. The time probably varies based on exactly when you leave. The day we left Tampa I think there was a Carnival ship that was supposed to leave right before us but since they had to be towed back to Port from their last trip they were delayed taking off and it was us, then HAL then Carnival finally left at 8pm I believe.

I have cruised back into Tampa twice on the Star and yet to get up early enough to catch the Skyway Bridge in the morning. No question you will have to be out and about well before 5:00 am. Stop by the roll call for the Dawn repo we have a very fun group so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

I have cruised back into Tampa twice on the Star and yet to get up early enough to catch the Skyway Bridge in the morning. No question you will have to be out and about well before 5:00 am. Stop by the roll call for the Dawn repo we have a very fun group so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

I checked the arrival this morning of the Carnival Paradise on AIS.....she sailed under the bridge about 4:14 AM:eek:, and tied up around 6:45 AM....

I have been 'lurking' the roll call, and it does sound like a fun bunch!:cool:

I don't normally post on a roll call until I make my final payment, or at least until I have completed my previous cruise, which is in a couple of weeks on the HAL Veendam to Bermuda, so I'll be joining you guys later on.:)

I think the arrival time can vary, as when we were on our bridge tour the bridge received a call from the Port of Tampa stating they would be picking up the pilot at 3am instead of the planned 1am. So I'd ask the crew to see what time the pilot is coming on board, and judge from there.

FWIW our photo was taken Jan 1, 2012 at 7:48pm.

We ran into one of the officers and asked at about 11:00 p.m. on the last night of the cruise. He told us it would be about 4:15 a.m. We set the alarm for 4 a.m. (after getting to bed at 1:00 a.m.), and he was right. It was another great experience, but quite different to be the only ones there to witness it.

Archived