Coliseum to Vatican - How far of a walk???

Cruise Leprechaun

During our nearly only half day we get to spend in Rome on an upcoming cruise stop, I have researched these boards and came up with a plan to see what we want (my family anyway) to see. Assuming I get a train and then metro to drop us off near the Colisseum around 10 am, is it feasible I can walk, not tour, the ancient sites past the forum, Pantheon and over the river to the vatican in 3 hours to make a 1 pm vatican tour? (The two sites that dont seem to be on the line I am thinking of walking that I'll miss seeing are the Trevi fountain and the Spanish steps). Im guessing its about 4-5 miles? Or maybe there's a good point to bail on the walk and take a cab to the vatican if its longer than it look on a map?

Also related, is there food to eat on the streets in that route , like NYC where you could grab a hotdog or pretzel (or in Rome's case Pizza or ravioli??), so we dont have to kill an hour sitting down to be fed?

Thanks.

I think it's around 2 miles, and depending on the speed you walk, maybe take you 30-60 minutes to walk it.

You should definitely be able to do what you have listed in 3 hours. Taking into consideration you aren't going inside the museums. Just watch the clock as you walk, don't dawdle, you should be fine. If you do let time get away from you, you can't just hail a cab, like in the US. You have to find a taxi queue.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Just watch the clock as you walk, don't dawdle, you should be fine.

If you take abbymama's advice I think that you could see more than that.

but I would take further advice from others who possibly have a better sense of direction than me. I have not got a map of Rome in front of me to check the distances, but I think that you can get from the Colosseum and the Forum area with the Arch of Titus to the Trevi Fountain, and pass the monument of Victor Emmanuel on the way. Then I think you could find a take out pizza shop near to the Trevi Fountain and shoot back past the Pantheon and if you have time you might be able to get to the Piazza Navona to see the fountain there. At this point find a taxi and get to the Vatican and prepare to be amazed.

Now my route assumes that it is not boiling hot, you walk fairly briskly and that you do not mind 'seeing' rather than visiting these sights. The Pantheon does not take long to go inside. The trip will prepare you for another cruise when you can go to somewhere in more detail. Read up about the sights so that you know what to point out to your family and they will get a good taster of Rome.

I am preparing for my 4th day in Rome. The first time was a ship tour where we had no idea where we were going, we got very hot and saw old stones and St Peters,

the second time we deliberately stayed in the shade, visited a selection of churches and saw the Trevi fountain and Victor Emmanuel Monument properly.

The third time we did a Vatican Tour, saw Piazza Navona and the Spanish Steps.

This time we hope to get to Villa Borghese. There is so much more that I want to see - I think that I could go for a cruise stop every year for the rest of my life and will think that I have only just scratched the surface.

Have a wonderful time. Don't forget to watch Roman Holiday before you go and get in the mood. :)

thank you both. 2 miles is much bettan than the 5 or so I was thinking. We may just get to take in a few sights along the way after all.

Three more tips (if you are interested)

The maps supplied by the ship are rubbish - be sure to either have your gps or your own guidebook map.

when you get to the Vatican for the tour, be sure to leave the Sistine Chapel by the door in the right hand corner (opposite to the door you entered by) it leads directly to St Peters so that you do not have to queue up to go through security again - you have not got time to mess around and miss your train back. I got that advice from a Rick Steves podcast which I found on his travel website. He has loads about Rome - and it is worth listening to them before you go. I find it hard to listen and watch out for all the wonderful sites and the traffic once I am at my destination.

Do not leave it until the last train possible to get back. Give yourself a margin of error.

To see how long distances are, just type them into Google Maps when looking for directions - they have specific walking directions for Rome. You can add multiple stops in the order you want to visit them and then you have an exact measure of how far you'll be walking, rather than estimates.

All Good advice on the distance. Thanks. per Google Maps it is 2.7 miles in a straight shot (should see most of the sites we want to see that way) or if I detour a little up to see the Trevi fountain it is still only 3.1 miles. Not a bad walk at all.

Now, if I could ask a follow up, any recommendations for any street food along that walk? or do we have to pop into a restaurant of some sort along that way? Also - what about public restrooms, are those hard to come by or not a big problem?

Thanks again.

All Good advice on the distance. Thanks. per Google Maps it is 2.7 miles in a straight shot (should see most of the sites we want to see that way) or if I detour a little up to see the Trevi fountain it is still only 3.1 miles. Not a bad walk at all.

Now, if I could ask a follow up, any recommendations for any street food along that walk? or do we have to pop into a restaurant of some sort along that way? Also - what about public restrooms, are those hard to come by or not a big problem?

Thanks again.

There are a lot of places to eat near the Pantheon. If you're on the piazza facing the Pantheon, there is a Salumeria to your right where you can purchase quick sandwiches (panini) and drinks to go. Most bars also have food to go or to eat at the counter. That has the added advantage of entitling you to use their facilities as well. :)

If you have only a (half) day. Be aware off the big lines to go into the Colloseum and the Vatican museum or st Peters church. We spend 4 days in Rome and didn,t see all off it. Take the metro from colloseum to Vatican, much easier

Archived