taxes and fee changes

I noticed today the taxes and fees on my reservation has dropped $31.00. I don't sail until march of next year so I called RCCL to see about an adjustment. The rep said he had never had anyone call for this and put me on hold while he contacted the resolutions department. He came back and said "sorry we can't adjust that rate because taxes/fees are charged by the ports as soon as a booking is made and therefore can not be adjusted". He said if it was an actual rate change, he gets those everyday and can adjust them right away. I know this is bull because on CCL we had a port fee change less than 24 hours before sailing and CCL credited my account without me even contacting them. I told him this and said that I don't know how ports can charge different prices for different passengers on the same cruise because we all get to port at the same time :D. I mentioned to him that I was well within the time frame to cancel and rebook without penalty and he said I could do that but I would have cancel with one rep, hang up and call back to rebook with a different rep..is this correct?

Has anyone else had a drop if fees/taxes and called to get them adjusted? If so what was your outcome?

Yes, we;ve had a "tax" credit, but never a "fee" credit, infact I noticed a price dop of $100 pp, but the fees had gone up by $15, figured I would get credit for $85 pp, got the full $100, as the fees are charged at the rate when the initial booking is made

The only time you should receive a credit is if you cancel and rebook the cruise. The taxes and fees are applied as of that specific date of booking. If they do that, your cruise price might go up if the price has increased since your original booking.

Thanks everyone. I called and spoke with 3 different people and got the same answer from all...fees didn't change but taxes dropped. Taxes are charged at time of booking so they can't be adjusted. I could cancel and rebook but booked during the wow sale so I have more in OBC than the actual tax price drop. I am still a year out from sail date so I'll just keep an eye on prices.

Thanks everyone. I called and spoke with 3 different people and got the same answer from all...fees didn't change but taxes dropped. Taxes are charged at time of booking so they can't be adjusted. I could cancel and rebook but booked during the wow sale so I have more in OBC than the actual tax price drop. I am still a year out from sail date so I'll just keep an eye on prices.

if the taxes are still down when you sail, you will get a credit on your onboard account.;)

I noticed today the taxes and fees on my reservation has dropped $31.00. I don't sail until march of next year so I called RCCL to see about an adjustment. The rep said he had never had anyone call for this and put me on hold while he contacted the resolutions department. He came back and said "sorry we can't adjust that rate because taxes/fees are charged by the ports as soon as a booking is made and therefore can not be adjusted". He said if it was an actual rate change, he gets those everyday and can adjust them right away. I know this is bull because on CCL we had a port fee change less than 24 hours before sailing and CCL credited my account without me even contacting them. I told him this and said that I don't know how ports can charge different prices for different passengers on the same cruise because we all get to port at the same time :D. I mentioned to him that I was well within the time frame to cancel and rebook without penalty and he said I could do that but I would have cancel with one rep, hang up and call back to rebook with a different rep..is this correct?

Has anyone else had a drop if fees/taxes and called to get them adjusted? If so what was your outcome?

Tax & port fee changes will show up on your on board account. If you see a very strange credit amount, that is a tax or fee change. I've had strange credits show up unannounced on both Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

Tax & port fee changes will show up on your on board account. If you see a very strange credit amount, that is a tax or fee change. I've had strange credits show up unannounced on both Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

I thought this too but according to RCCL they won't give a credit or adjustment at anytime when there is a tax/fee drop. I was told by all 3 reps that you are charged what you paid when you booked. I, too, have gotten credits for this on Carnival less than 24 hours before sailing so was really thrown by RCCLs refusal to adjust it. O well, it is what it is, and I will have a great time regardless of the $30 but who knows, maybe it will show as an OBC at sailing.

On my last 2 cruises, I've checked my account via the interactive TV in my stateroom, and noticed strange credits for small amounts, like 5 or 6 bucks per person. I asked others on the cruise, and they had the same credit, so it must have been some sort of refund for taxes or something! Nothing major, but nice to have a few extra bucks OBC.

I thought this too but according to RCCL they won't give a credit or adjustment at anytime when there is a tax/fee drop. I was told by all 3 reps that you are charged what you paid when you booked. I, too, have gotten credits for this on Carnival less than 24 hours before sailing so was really thrown by RCCLs refusal to adjust it. O well, it is what it is, and I will have a great time regardless of the $30 but who knows, maybe it will show as an OBC at sailing.

I received a credit on my Enchantment cruise that I took at the end of February of this year. I received a small credit on my SeaPass account due to a drop in the tax or port fees. This was verified by my travel agent after the cruise ended.

The phone representatives rarely know what they are doing, which is why I don't book directly with Royal Caribbean.

On my last 2 cruises, I've checked my account via the interactive TV in my stateroom, and noticed strange credits for small amounts, like 5 or 6 bucks per person. I asked others on the cruise, and they had the same credit, so it must have been some sort of refund for taxes or something! Nothing major, but nice to have a few extra bucks OBC.

That is exactly how it happens. It just shows up on the SeaPass account unannounced.

Archived