Budget Queen

PG13

WHere do I get tickets for th etrain that has gold and Adventurer class. You mentioned Princess seat ride backwards? Hal has a line? What line would you take from Anchorage to seward? How do I book it?

WHere do I get tickets for th etrain that has gold and Adventurer class. You mentioned Princess seat ride backwards? Hal has a line? What line would you take from Anchorage to seward? How do I book it?

Obviously I'm not BQ :)

But I can tell you that the Princess cars on the train are 4 chairs around a table, so 2 are facing forward and 2 are facing backwards.

The Alaska Railroad is the train with Gold and Adventure class. you can book this train online on there website http://www.alaskarailroad.com/.

go direct to the Alaska rr website. The cruiselines have their own rail cars, pulled by the Alaska RR. Princess does not have trains going to Seward, only to/from Whittier.

http://www.alaskarailroad.com

It is simple to just book this direct yourself, on any day you want. I'm a cheap adventure class rider, and enjoy that just fine. :)

We are hoping to go next year but my husband does not want to drive. Can we do our own touring using the Alaska Railroad and booking accommodation indepentantly?

Budget Queen help please - We are now thinking of flying into Fairbanks and using the train to Denali for a 2 or 3 night stop - will we be able to get around without our own car? Are there shuttle buses?

Then do you recomend traveling on to Talkeetna for 1 or 2 nights?

We then plan to travel to Anchorage for a 1 night stop and then the train to Seward for 2 nights before our southbound cruise.

We are hoping to go next year but my husband does not want to drive. Can we do our own touring using the Alaska Railroad and booking accommodation indepentantly?

Budget Queen help please - We are now thinking of flying into Fairbanks and using the train to Denali for a 2 or 3 night stop - will we be able to get around without our own car? Are there shuttle buses?

Then do you recomend traveling on to Talkeetna for 1 or 2 nights?

We then plan to travel to Anchorage for a 1 night stop and then the train to Seward for 2 nights before our southbound cruise.

You can get around without a car, but, not having your own transportation is very limiting.

3 nights at Denali Park is excellent, I wouldn't consider any less. You will have to book a hotel, that offers, Access Center/Visitor Center shuttle buses. These are not going to be available for all the park access shuttle buses, so verify the hours of availability. If you chose- Denali has a buy 2 get 3 shuttle bus rides into Denali.

Talkeetna, is a 1 night stop- in my opinion. But you need to determine what you wish to see and do here. Flightseeing is excellent, and possible, to be the only way you will see McKinley. Fishing is supposed to be very good, there are raft rides. etc.

Anchorage, actually has plenty to occupy your time, and in my opinion, maybe a better place to put the 2 nights, switching it with the current 2 night Talkeetna idea.

Seward is another place where 2 nights work excellent. Again, plenty to see and do, Don't be in any rush to get on a cruiseship- if you wish to take advantage of more "Alaska". :) I'm lucky to board a Seward sailing ship by 6pm.

• 2 weeks later...

Budget Queen thank you for all your wonderful advice. Showed your post to my husband and he has now agreed we will hire a car. Is Fairbanks worth a visit? If so we will fly there and pick up a car and then with stops at Denali and Talkeetna unhire the car in Anchorage. 2 nights there then the train to Seward for 2 nights. We still have not decided what cruise line to with for our journey back to Vancouver. Friends recommended HAL - they go to Glacier Bay , but Princess do Glacier and Hubbard. Your suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you :)

Archived