Can I Request To Have MiniBar Emptied in Advance?

How much money can they be making on this "warm" refrigerator?

Can't see many people buying what amounts to expensive snacks, which as you said, have probably sat there for weeks and taste stale. And they have to send someone around to inventory each cabin every day. What an unproductive, unprofitable situation.

RCI would do better to utilize that space as a CD and/or game rental like a Red Box. But I suppose they could just do that from the interactive TV?

What the heck, why don't they make it into a wet bar and sell drinks directly into the rooms from a dispenser like they use to sell wine at Vintages.

We just got the Liberty about 2 weeks ago - I took a case of water on. I emptied the frig and put the items on the top shelf. And when we left I put it all back in the frig - we were not charged for anything.

On my Explorer cruise, I asked my stateroom attendant to empty the fridge. He put everything in the top shelf. I had pre-ordered juices and the fridge kept them at the same temperature as if they were on the shelf. Such a worthless space.

I was on the same cruise as HAL2008 and we asked our attendant to remove the items from the fridge. He said he would do it and inform bar services what was happening. He placed them on the shelf above the tv and as far as I know we haven't been charged for anything.

At some point, I know I read that hotels no longer stock the mini frigs due to health hazards and contamination. Several of the ships had serious noro outbreaks last winter. I doubt very seriously whether the food items that are in and out of the mini frig's are ever sanitized. We also like the space for our own snacks and water and empty it each and every time. When there are really serious outbreaks like on the Crown last year, I wonder if the refrigerator contents are dumped?

Okay, what about insaline? I have it noted on our reservation that their are medical issues. What are we going to do if the fridge isn't cold enough? It's a 7 night cruise....:(

You can get a "special" fridge for insulin from the Medical Services Department. I would confirm this with a phone call now and then just before you leave.

We've asked for the mini-bar to be emptied on every cruise, and never had an issue.

Whether the stateroom attendant does it, or he/she gets someone else to do it matter not to me.

I ask nicely, usually first time we meet him/her, and the same time I ask about the ice, and sometimes for extra hangers and/or pillows.

I ALWAYS then tip generously at the beginning of the cruise, and again at the end and we always have a great week. ;)

You can get a "special" fridge for insulin from the Medical Services Department. I would confirm this with a phone call now and then just before you leave.

Oh good tip, thank you I will definitly do that. I need to make sure they are gonna have a sharps box too in the cabin. :)

We have never asked our cabin attendant to remove anything from our mini bar......we always do it ourselves, and let the attendant know that it's out and where we have stored it.

When the bar server comes along, we let him/her also know where everything is, and that it will be replaced on the morning of disembarkation.

We have never received a charge for anything in the mini bar.......for all of the cruises taken..........to date.

Granted that we cruise in full suites, so that it all goes in a bottom drawer next to the mini bar. However, for the vast majority of people not staying in a full suite, or a JS......where there is still room, the idea of getting a bag to put everything in.........and then finding a cubby hole under the bed.........what a great idea!!

Hopefully, the bar attendant will have these, and will know that you have used the same for storage.

Also, an FYI, the bar attendant will also come by after you have left the cabin, and if something is missing, will make a note to add an additional charge to your CC. So, it's not a good idea to walk off with the carton of M&M's thinking that you have gotten something from Royal Caribbean, without paying for it.:D

Rick

Guest maddycat
Oh good tip, thank you I will definitly do that. I need to make sure they are gonna have a sharps box too in the cabin. :)

Your cabin attendant will get you a sharps container.

I always forget about if this is possible, but can I request that the rooms mini-bar be emptied in advance of our arrival?

We don't really drink (if we do, it's silly cocktails from the bar), and I ordered the juice package so we'll need room in the fridge to store those. Don't want whatever over-priced snacks they are stocking inside either.

Thanks.

Laurie

If wish you can , I read how to do it before my trip and they never remove it and last but not least a can of red bull was gone from the list ,

I've asked the SA to have the mini refrigerator emptied on at least two cruises that I can remember, maybe more. I was always told by the SA that someone else was responsible for that. I didn’t care enough to follow up.

But if I did care, I would tell the SA, first thing, that it was very important to me and I didn’t want the SA to come back in my cabin until the refrigerator and the stuff on the vanity was removed.

“Do you understand? Don’t come into this cabin until the items are removed from my cabin. Do not relocate the items in the cabin, remove them from the cabin.”

We cleared the stuff out ourselves the 1st day and put it on the shelf above the refrigerator on the sides on the vanity in plain view. Never was a problem. We put everything back the night we packed up to to get ready to leave!

On our last cruise - Indy Nov last year - we asked the cabin steward but he said the bar attendant was in charge of the mini fridge. He said he would pass on our request. The bar attendant cleared our mini bar later that day.

On all our previous cruises the cabin steward was able to clear the mini bar himself/herself.

It is useful when empty as if the weather is warm it does keep things chilled - snacks, chocolate, milk etc... Not as cold as a proper fridge but fine. Having it empty means your do not get a daily visit from the bar attendant to your cabin. Having less people popping in and out of my cabin when I'm not there is a plus to me :)

Archived