Need Your Vote: A4 or PH3

bzv143

For an extra $800 per person, is it worth the splurge to upgrade from a Concierge Verandah (A4) to a Penthouse (PH3) on a 14 day Transatlantic crossing? And if so, what would make the $1600 worth it? Thanks! :rolleyes:

For an extra $800 per person, is it worth the splurge to upgrade from a Concierge Verandah (A4) to a Penthouse (PH3) on a 14 day Transatlantic crossing? And if so, what would make the $1600 worth it? Thanks! :rolleyes:

We normally book a C1 cabin (ocean view) on the R ships (my husband just loves the window sill in those cabins), but on our first Marina cruise we booked a B4 with the extended balcony and it was fine. Ocean view rooms are very hard to come by on Marina unless you book as soon as the itineraries are released. On our just completed Marina transatlantic, we booked a PH 3, in fact 7135 one of the aft Penthouses, and again loved it. We booked the PH 3 on the transatlantic because from a price perspective it was comparable to what we normally paid for a C 1 on a port intensive cruise on the R ships. We did enjoy the extra space especially with so many sea days, but we would have been just as happy in a B4 cabin again or even an ocean view. While on board, we booked the Bejing to Bangkok cruise for next March on Nauticia and once again went back to booking a C 1 because we just couldn't justify the price differential especially when we know we will be spending additional time in Asia.

I think that we just love Oceania so much we would be happy in any room. We have been in A1 cabins on the R ships and tend to go back to the C 1's the next cruise. We loved the PH and would book again if we felt the price was right. It all comes down to what is it worth to you.

What ship are you sailing on? It makes a difference

With a goodly number of sea days, you will probably be spending [at least marginally] a good bit of time in your stateroom; ergo, I'd go for the increased space, not to mention the butler and few extra perks.

We splurged on a PH on our Marina TA because of all the sea days (we usually book no more than an Deluxe Outside on a port intensive cruise). We do not stay in the cabin much and we are not big on room service. BUT - what a fabulous way to spend two weeks at sea.

Treat yourself - to the space, the closet, the butler and the extra perks. You will not be sorry.

A few years back I took advantage of an upsell from an A3 to a PH on the Regatta for about the same as the OP was offered. On the R class ships I think its worth it. On the O class ships its a closer call. We were very comfortable in an A4 on the Marina last summer.

I do think though that being in a suite or a PH does make a difference when you're trying to do things around the ship - making additional restaurant reservations, booking LaReserve, etc. I know some on this board will disagree and maybe it is my own unique paranoia. Whenever you try to do anything on board the first question asked is your cabin number. I've had better responses and results when I was able to give them a PH rather than a lesser class cabin. Also, with the assistance of your butler in the PH, you should be able to get anything you need done. Is that worth $1600? That's up to you.

It's up to you, but we thoroughly enjoyed the PH during our transatlantic on Marina. There are several more sea days than on most O cruises, and the peace and quiet and larger space in the PH IS worth it, IMHO. Which ever you decide, you'll have a great time. The service and the people on O (both crew and fellow passengers) are what make the TA such a treat.

o-staterooms-3d-a4.jpgo-staterooms-3d-ph3.jpg

The bigger stateroom, butler service, ordering in from the four Specialty Restaurants, and access to the Executive Lounge. For a TransAtlantic, it sounds like a slam dunk to me.

There is absolutely NO SENSE in being the richest person in the cemetery

Well, my DH may not thank you all for your encouragement (i.e. GO for the PH) but I will. :D I placed a hold on a PH-3 this afternoon.

Now, the problem is that the PH-3s are going fast--and still 1 year out.:eek: The only available ones were way up front on Deck 10. So, question to anyone who has stayed in a cabin near the Bridge Lookout: can the Captain and officers see you in your pj's in the morning if you venture out onto the balcony? Will we need to be fully clothed at all times? Which suites are Danger Zones for Bridge viewing? :confused:

Well, my DH may not thank you all for your encouragement (i.e. GO for the PH) but I will. :D I placed a hold on a PH-3 this afternoon.

Now, the problem is that the PH-3s are going fast--and still 1 year out.:eek: The only available ones were way up front on Deck 10. So, question to anyone who has stayed in a cabin near the Bridge Lookout: can the Captain and officers see you in your pj's in the morning if you venture out onto the balcony? Will we need to be fully clothed at all times? Which suites are Danger Zones for Bridge viewing? :confused:

This is a view of the side of the ship from the port bridge wing

063325.jpg The Officers really cannot see much of the Veranda goings on, but let your conscience be your guide....

Jim&Stan--I feel I owe you a bottle of champagne for all your helpful information. Thank you ever so much. I feel relieved about the PH we will be booking now, and will promise the Captain and officers not to appear too unkempt in the morning if I venture out onto the balcony with my coffee and in my PJs (note to self--pack decent pjs).

(1) I am assuming, however, that many mornings will be too chilly for a balcony respite (?) as we cross the Atlantic in April. I am hoping for rough seas (sorry other CCers) as I love a good wave. :D Will I get my wish?

(2) Do anyone know how many suites each butler services?

We normally book a C1 cabin (ocean view) on the R ships (my husband just loves the window sill in those cabins), but on our first Marina cruise we booked a B4 with the extended balcony and it was fine. Ocean view rooms are very hard to come by on Marina unless you book as soon as the itineraries are released. On our just completed Marina transatlantic, we booked a PH 3, in fact 7135 one of the aft Penthouses, and again loved it. We booked the PH 3 on the transatlantic because from a price perspective it was comparable to what we normally paid for a C 1 on a port intensive cruise on the R ships. We did enjoy the extra space especially with so many sea days, but we would have been just as happy in a B4 cabin again or even an ocean view. While on board, we booked the Bejing to Bangkok cruise for next March on Nauticia and once again went back to booking a C 1 because we just couldn't justify the price differential especially when we know we will be spending additional time in Asia.

I think that we just love Oceania so much we would be happy in any room. We have been in A1 cabins on the R ships and tend to go back to the C 1's the next cruise. We loved the PH and would book again if we felt the price was right. It all comes down to what is it worth to you.

My husband and I are in PH7135 on the Riviera in October which I assume is the same layout and size as t is on the Marina. Was the room less spacious that the other penthouse suites and did you spend much time on the balcony, I understand is starboard and aft, is that right? Thanks, Sue

My husband and I are in PH7135 on the Riviera in October which I assume is the same layout and size as t is on the Marina. Was the room less spacious that the other penthouse suites and did you spend much time on the balcony, I understand is starboard and aft, is that right? Thanks, Sue

The room is narrower by approximately 2 feet than the standard PH's. It is most noticeable at the foot of the bed and the built in vanity/drawer area and in the walk in closet. We were on the transatlantic cruise and I would say we spent some time on the balcony. What was nice about the size of the balcony was that we could move our chairs around to protect us from the wind and control the amount of sun we were receiving. The cabin is starboard aft.

IMG_7788.jpg

IMG_7791.jpg

We will be in the same cabin on Rivera's maiden voyage in a little over 2 weeks. It will be interesting to see how much we use the balcony because this is a very port intensive cruise.

IMG_7757.jpg

Archived