Swollen Feet (water? or sea air?)

NKsDogWalker

After last year's cruise I know alot of my friends had swollen feet. I was on dyazide (for an ear issue I have) so I didn't get them until after I ran out of my pills (long story). Since I didn't drink the ship's "tap" water (except in iced tea which I assume is brewed). I also didn't drink much alcohol. My guess is our bodies take on more salt because of the sea air. Am I grasping at staws. I'm pretty sure I will be okay but what can I suggest to my friends to keep their sandaled feet safe from looking like hot dogs?

After last year's cruise I know alot of my friends had swollen feet. I was on dyazide (for an ear issue I have) so I didn't get them until after I ran out of my pills (long story). Since I didn't drink the ship's "tap" water (except in iced tea which I assume is brewed). I also didn't drink much alcohol. My guess is our bodies take on more salt because of the sea air. Am I grasping at staws. I'm pretty sure I will be okay but what can I suggest to my friends to keep their sandaled feet safe from looking like hot dogs?

The food. LOADED with salt and presevatives.

I believe it is because of the food which contains a lot more salt than food I would normally cook at home. Plus people tend to eat more on a cruise. Increased alcohol intake can also contribute to the swelling. I don't believe it is the air or the water. Many people are more sedentary on a cruise than they would normally be also. Drink more cranberry juice next cruise. Its a natural direutic.

I disagree with this theory because I go to Disney World every 6 months and I know they load on the salt there.... Ive never had swollen feet.

You should probably have it checked out by your primary doctor then because you might have something else going on.

This used to happen to me all the time. My doctor gave me a prescription for Lasix, and now I start taking it two days before we board any cruise ship, and I continually take it until we get back (1 pill once a day). Since I started on this, I have not had swelling anywhere.

They put way too much salt in the food, plus between the pool water and shower water entering your skin, your body will swell. I only drink bottled water, and drink cranberry juice as much as possible.

I believe it's a combination. Salty food, alcohol or caffeine beverage and walking in flat shoes. Walking in flip flops or shoes with no support can cause swollen feet. As much as I love cute shoes, I must wear appropriate walking shoes if i'm going to be on my feet for long periods of time.

It is very easy to slip on the flip flops and walk around for hours. I have to remember to put on the tennis shoes after a while. My tennis shoes are made for walking. Most sandals are cute and that's about it LOL Wearing those flat shoes for all periods of time will cause my toes to look like Vienna Sausages...not cute at all.:mad:

I bought some awesome Nike walking shoes for my trip to New Orleans last year. They were basic white and I didn't like the style, but my feet never swelled

This used to happen to me all the time. My doctor gave me a prescription for Lasix, and now I start taking it two days before we board any cruise ship, and I continually take it until we get back (1 pill once a day). Since I started on this, I have not had swelling anywhere.

They put way too much salt in the food, plus between the pool water and shower water entering your skin, your body will swell. I only drink bottled water, and drink cranberry juice as much as possible.

Ditto- I have to take Lasix now when I am cruising. I have no idea why it happens- but it happens every cruise!! I first thought it was the water and was careful to just drink bottled water- but my feet still swell like crazy! So- now I take Lasix before and during and don't worry about it. It's just SOOOOO painful when your feet turn into balloons! Side note- this never happens on any other vacations.....just cruising. Go figure. My dh has the same problem- but refuses the Lasix because he hates the constant bathroom trips ;)

Sorry, but I think its the water. I know many will disagree and absolutely swear that it can't be the water because of how it's processed, but... It's happened to me twice, and the second time I had a mild diuretic to prevent the swelling, which didn't help. I do drink the iced tea, but I held it to a minimum and bought a lot of bottled water. However, I had a few cups of coffee every morning and they have to cook with the water. I'm used to eating salt and spices, so I really can't blame that - and I don't drink alcohol at all. I also walked much more than I'm used to. I think that pretty much leaves nothing but the water to blame. BTW: I remember others saying the same thing in a previous post. I think that some people just react to the distilled salt water differently than others. I'm one of the unlucky ones.

I disagree with this theory because I go to Disney World every 6 months and I know they load on the salt there.... Ive never had swollen feet.

you walk more at Disney World. I suffer the swollen feet and ankles on cruises too. Really bad. Last 14 day cruise I realized the days I did brisk walking around the ships track, I had no problem. That and upping the cranberry juice. I think there is a list of things that contribute to the problem.

My first cruise all I drank was water (had 1 alcoholic drink) and no soda. I drank water at every meal and inbetween. Ate normally like I did on my second cruise. No swelling at all of the first cruise. Second cruise did exactly the same thing except more alcohol and my feet got swollen. That's why for me I'm pretty sure it wasn't the water. It was also a lot hotter and more humid on our second cruise.

I get it whenever I travel...domestic and international. Drinking LOTS of water helps. And as much as I love them, I stay away from the soups. I also fly and sleep with compression socks. $50 a pair at the running store, but well worth it.

Good luck in figuring out. I had to drive over the weekend about 2.5 hours and the next day my feet were very swollen - my shoes didn't fit. Sometimes when I drive or ride in the car my feet do this.

When I fly, same thing. Yes, walking around Disney helps because you are moving where on a cruise you are not walking as much.

My feet and calves swell up to the point of being painful, but only when we sail to hot and humid destanations. Now I know it is not the heat I live in AZ. So I think it has something to do at least for me with the humidity. I didn't swell when we went to AK or Mexico at all. My feet look like two big hams and even flip flops get tight. I have tried elevating my legs when I sleep but that did not work. I read somewhere on CC that if you take Black Cherry capsules that is suppose to help so I ordered them so I will see how they work. Once I get home it takes several days to get back to normal. I am just glad to hear I am not the only one who puffs up like the Goodyear blimp on a cruise.

Definitely a combination of food loaded with salt, combined with walking in flip flops and sandals and if you fly or even drive for a long stretch, it could contribute to it. I dont think that Sea Water has any connection. We go to the beach almost everyday in the summer and no one gets swollen ankles/legs from it, but when I walk around in flip flops/flats alot or eat alot of salty food, they swell up, especially the one that I injured a few years back. Drinking water is a good way to combat swelling and get a good pair of walking shoes, I bought a pair of Merrells Mary Janes a few years back when I went on a 12 day European cruise, my feet never bothered me at all, no swelling or pain. They werent cheap but they were worth it! Good luck!

Different people react differently to different travel experiences. Salt air is not really a myth :) Humidity can be a factor for many people, especially humidity in the sea air (and even more importantly, when your body isn't accustomed). The water onboard can be a factor (many people react differently to water that is not "home" water), excess salt in the food, not enough activity, alcohol, (and I'm sure there are others). I retain a ton of water because of the medication I'm on, traveling makes it worse. Elevating your feet ABOVE heart level can help, drinking lots of water can help, lots of exercise (to the point of elevating your heart level and sweating), and foods with a lot of potassium are all things that can help. Given long enough, your body adjusts but most people aren't traveling long enough for that to happen. I've been known to lay backwards on the bed, resting my feet on the wall until the fluid "drains." But, painful as it sometimes is, walking, walking, walking works the best, it keeps everything moving.

Watermelon, strawberries, oranges, and pineapple work for me and laying off known salty foods (bacon/breakfast meats, chinese, deli foods, fried foods). I don't like taking lasex, as I have to "go" way too much to be convenient. But, some over-the-counter meds also work, and aren't as strong. Hitting a sauna can also help (if you can stand them, I can't).

Other than that, usually it goes away within a day or 2 of returning home. If it doesn't, it definitely warrants a trip to your doctor as excess fluid retention could be indicative of something else.

The food. LOADED with salt and presevatives.

Exactly. You make cheaper quality food taste better by adding lots of salt. All mass market cruise lines and most chain restaurants do it.

But you walk constantly at Disney World but not on the ship.

On our last two cruises (the Legend in December 2011 and the Fantasy in March) my feet and ankles were really swollen. And I had never had a problem with that before. It was so painful one night that I left dinner early to come back to the room to elevate my legs.

I am gonna remember to ask for Lasix for our next cruise in December. Has anyone ever used Diurex (it is an over the counter pill).?????

I, too, am one of the unlucky ones whose feet and ankles swell up. On ONE cruise this did not happen, and I realize that I drank tons of water on that trip. Of course, then you are going to the bathroom all the time and on many shore excursions that can be a REAL pain. Good luck!

Is it the water, sea air, sunshine, food? The real cause is that people are subject to more walking than they normally do. They have to walk to the buffet area which is more than normal let alone all the trips back and forth from table to the counters. Then the walk from one end ot the ship to the other is more than most people walk from their car to a store. I always see people waiting for a spot when there is one about 30 feet away. Standing in line waitng to get on board, into the dining room, theater and etc.

Then people go on tours. The walk from the ship to the end of the pier is another long walk, plus the standing while waitng to get onto a bus.

The extra walking and standing is the cause.

Archived