Swollen Feet (water? or sea air?)

NKsDogWalker

Is it the water, sea air, sunshine, food? The real cause is that people are subject to more walking than they normally do. They have to walk to the buffet area which is more than normal let alone all the trips back and forth from table to the counters. Then the walk from one end ot the ship to the other is more than most people walk from their car to a store. I always see people waiting for a spot when there is one about 30 feet away. Standing in line waitng to get on board, into the dining room, theater and etc.

Then people go on tours. The walk from the ship to the end of the pier is another long walk, plus the standing while waitng to get onto a bus.

The extra walking and standing is the cause.

I'm very active...work out at least 2 hours a day and have a job that puts me on my feet a good part of the day. I get the swelling. It's not extra walking.

Humidity of the Caribbean... My ankles swell horribly during the summer here in Florida... even if I do nothing else. That mixed with sodium filled food which makes you bloat.... drinking lots of water is supposed to HELP with bloating and salt retention...

Editing to add... our May 2010 cruise I bloated up horribly and it was sooo hot and humid... our May 2011 cruise the weather was fair and I didn't bloat... the December cruise no bloating.

I think that the reason our feet swell on cruises (and only on cruises) vary for each person. I agree that people's bodies react differently to the water onboard--I for one cannot drink it. The past two cruises I ordered a gallon of distilled water from room service and kept drinking that--of course I had to reorder every so often. I also truly believe that the salty sea air enters the pores on my skin--it just has to--can't tell me differently. I also drink alcohol on cruises and am not much of a drinker otherwise. I also eat a lot more carbohydrates on my cruises than I do when not cruising and I love the sun and my flip flops. All of these things combined make my feet swell. But, the past two cruises, they really didn't. I was taking a natural supplement from my chiropractor's office called Diuretic Factors--it's a mixture of vitamins/supplements--works like a diuretic. That, and the distilled water work for me. I also stay away from the soups.

There is a lengthy thread on this topic of cruise swelling mover on the Cruise Fashions and Beauty boards. They are saying that Black Cherry capsules worked to eliminate the swelling for some people. I also wanted to get them for last week's cruise but never got around to it. Next time, I'll be adding that to my regime to stop the swelling.

I refuse to wear tennis shoes cause I love tanned feet. I have J.Crew leather flip flops in every color for cruising and won't give them up.

So glad this isn't just me this happens to. About day 4 my "Kankles" start. That's what my kids call them. I have relatively skinny ankles so it looks hilarious when it happens. My room steward even propped the bottom of my bed with pillows under the mattress half way through the trip to help. Pretty funny! :D

On our last two cruises (the Legend in December 2011 and the Fantasy in March) my feet and ankles were really swollen. And I had never had a problem with that before. It was so painful one night that I left dinner early to come back to the room to elevate my legs.

I am gonna remember to ask for Lasix for our next cruise in December. Has anyone ever used Diurex (it is an over the counter pill).?????

Just be careful taking over the counter diuretics as they can cause sodium and potassium levels to fluctuate a lot. Green Tea, Cranberry juice, cucumbers, asparagas, carrots, lettuce and tomatoes are all natural diuretics. My plan next cruise is to really try to eat a ton of fruits and veggies (in addition to the alcohol) :D so I can try to head this off before it starts. I also might look into the compression stockings someone mentioned earlier to wear at night.

I don't remember if my feet, ankles and legs swole up on my 1st cruise cause it was in 1997. But I do remember they did on my last 4 cruises. I never have that problem except when I cruise. My feet are very narrow and ankles/legs are small. I believe it is a combination of the salt in the food, the water, the air, being on my feet so much (combined with the other things) and maybe due to more alcohol and wearing flip flops. But whatever it really is, I WISH IT WOULD GO AWAY! It really cramps my "cruising" style...lol... Before I go on my next cruise, I will ask my doctor about it for her advise and see what she thinks. I got back from my cruise on Sat. 4/21 and today, Monday, 4/23, I'm back to normal (thank goodness! - it was good to see the bones in my feet again!). What I really hate about it, is not being able to do as much as I would like to while cruising, like dance, walk around more, etc. But atleast it doesn't get bad until the end of the cruise. I don't think I could go on a 10+ day cruise unless I took some type of dieuretic. Never really thought about that before this cruise. Think I'll try drinking more bottle water and cranberry juice next time and see if that helps... Thanks for those tips...

OK, Ill go the the way with it.... possibly more exercise than you are used too.

My logic is this, more exercise, you drink more water than normal, however output is not the same as input of fluids. this combined with increased salt intake.

Do more walks/cardio prior to your trip. An eliptical machine is great for this. Use the stairs while onboard.

I had posted on the Cruise fashion board about the Black Cherry capsules. I had a problem also with swelling.

Someone mentioned the capsules, I don't know if it was the compression stockings I wore, the capsules, or the water pills I took each day, but I had no swollen feet last cruise.

Another benefit to them is it helps with arthristis sciatica, (I have both), and gout.

I was able to walk all over the ship, and walk down the long ports with no problem. I actually stopped and reveled in the fact I did not hurt.

Melanie

Assuming you are a normally healthy person with no issues and speak to your doctor, you might try upping your vitamin C, since that has a diuretic effect.

I will up my vitamin C on the cruise to 4,000 mg (but that is FOR ME)-- for someone else, 4,000 mg Vit might cause loose bowels. Everyone is different.

But, yes, it is the salt in the food and ice and water. So I'm going to brush up on information on what foods help displace sodium in cells of the body. But like I said, you need to speak to your doctor before looking into messing with your electrolytes in the body.

Or you could wait for a week till you get home and pee it out naturally on your body's time table.

ETA: I have been working with a personal trainer 3 days a week for 3 years and before last cruise was walking 1 hour on the treadmill at 15% incline and still got cankles.

Humidity of the Caribbean... My ankles swell horribly during the summer here in Florida... even if I do nothing else. That mixed with sodium filled food which makes you bloat.... drinking lots of water is supposed to HELP with bloating and salt retention...

Editing to add... our May 2010 cruise I bloated up horribly and it was sooo hot and humid... our May 2011 cruise the weather was fair and I didn't bloat... the December cruise no bloating.

I definately think its the humidity that does it. I live in Florida and when im out and about in the humidity I swell up something terrible, if I am in the A/C the swelling goes down. When we are on a cruise we are exposed to the heat and humidity more than we normally would be and on a ship there really isnt anywhere to hide from the humidity. So, I just figure I am going to swell up a bit and make sure I don't pack tight fitting sandals, otherwise they will end up not fitting me.

Heat, humidity and flying does it to me. In August last year, I went to Disney World (like we do every year in August) and my feet blew up like balloons! I couldn't even walk due to the pain. I literally thought my skin was ripping because it was stretched so tight!

I elevated them as much as possible and upped my water intake but no relief.

By the time we flew to Madison to take my son to college, I was in tears and had to find an urgent care. A few doses of furosemide and I was almost back to normal.

The ER doc that saw me took one look at my feet and said, "You look like the people that I see coming from Florida this time of year!" I told him that that's exactly where I just flew in from and he laughed and suggested I NOT vacation in areas of high heat and humidity as my body is one that just can't eliminate the excess fluid build up. I also don't sweat in my face...I just turn beet red so perhaps I'm just special :p!!

I already have my furosemide packed in my cruise bag and I don't leave for 199 more days! :D

I think that the reason our feet swell on cruises (and only on cruises) vary for each person. I agree that people's bodies react differently to the water onboard--I for one cannot drink it. The past two cruises I ordered a gallon of distilled water from room service and kept drinking that--of course I had to reorder every so often.

Did you know that drinking distilled water is dangerous for you? Your body needs the minerals in water and will leach them out of your body if it doesn't get them.

I already have my furosemide packed in my cruise bag and I don't leave for 199 more days! :D

Side note- Furosemide is the same ingredient in Lasix. I don't cruise without it now. You will notice a HUGE difference in your cruise- its so nice to not have the foot pain I got on all my other cruises. Also- You can also get a whole bottle of 100 Furosemide in Mexico for 39 Pesos :). That's what I had to do in Cabo when I didn't have any and my feet were going to pop!!!!!!

We came home a month ago - sigh -- and I started a huge thread here on it ---

My first experience was fly-florida 6days - fly - jamaica 7 days - Wedding and honeymoon of course -- this was in April of LAST year

This was our 4th time there - all inclusive -- but my ankles started on the 4th day of florida - and did not let up

Called Dr. as we drove panhandle to Miami -- she said get stockings and that over the counter diuretic not even worth it

prescribed lasix (sp) -- and re- upped my blood pressure med which was not taking at the time - partly a diuretic

still took mannnny days = had to be in a wheelchair in Houston airport to KC.

1 year later - inching up on age 50 and we do anniversary cruise - been on cruises before - never swelled - I think it's something to do with aging /flying / sodium

I didn't see the ocean till I was 41 - been there many times, FL, Mexico etc. and do not find people swollen like sausages because they live in humidity

Cannot be flip flops because I live in them 365 days per year - even in the snow in Missouri! Always hot feet :eek:

The ship nurse gave me a hand out -- she was always running out of them she said ----- and told me to keep feet up - drink lots of water - (we brought britta filtered water bottles) - but my sodas had ice in them - and lay off alcohol -- didn't really drink much booze

-- 8 day cruise and 10+ days last year --- maybe it is the longer trips!

Am bringing cherry juice capsules, lasix and compression stockings on our next upcoming jamaica all inclusive in July and for the January birthday cruise--- both 4-5 nights each

All inclusives pack food with sodium too? Will this mystery ever become an exact science????

I'll probably dig up some scientific abstracts and get them posted on here -- I don't think doctors can say either 100%

That would be great if you posted the facts.

As far as the Black Cherry Juice capsules, it might be best if you started taking them about a week before you cruise.

Another good thing about them, they have melatonin in the, I sleep much better. They don't make me drowsy, though.

Melanie

I disagree with this theory because I go to Disney World every 6 months and I know they load on the salt there.... Ive never had swollen feet.

But at Disney you're probably walking.. walking... walking.. all over the place, sweating out any excess fluid. Just a guess.

I think the humidity is a big factor for me. Where I live the humidity is in the low 20s. Just checked, it's 28% outside right now...and it feels muggy. Ha.

I have to agree about the humidity. When I lived in PA and cruised I always got swollen ankles. But, after we moved to Texas and adjusted to living in a very humid climate I no longer experienced the swelling on any cruises.

We have had friends and relatives from up north come to visit here in TX and they experienced the swelling. And all they did was complain about the heat and humidity the entire time. That is what they get for coming to visit in August when it is often 100 degrees with nearly 100 percent humidity!

But at Disney you're probably walking.. walking... walking.. all over the place, sweating out any excess fluid. Just a guess.

I actually walked alot on the ship as well. Our cabin was forward and on the bottom of the ship so every time I had to go back... it was a LONG walk. I often got lost as well.

However I do sweat alot when I am at Disney and because of the sea breeze I didn't sweat that much on the cruise. Maybe you have something here... maybe it is the food but honestly I don't cook much at home (I am single and live alone). I know being on a diuretic helped me (I have been on Diazide for my ear since 2002).

I thought I could try to make suggestions to some of my fellow cruisers on our message board... but it seem there is quite a debate. Maybe adding more veggies and requesting them with no salt and trying to load up on fruit and water will help others.

What I am hearing is supplement with Vitamin C or black cherry juice and drink alot of bottled water.

On our last two cruises (the Legend in December 2011 and the Fantasy in March) my feet and ankles were really swollen. And I had never had a problem with that before. It was so painful one night that I left dinner early to come back to the room to elevate my legs.

I am gonna remember to ask for Lasix for our next cruise in December. Has anyone ever used Diurex (it is an over the counter pill).?????

Lasix is a very strong diuretic. It can deplete your potassium stores causing irregular heart rhythms. Make sure, if you use this that you are getting enough potassium ie: banannas, potatoes, apricots, raisins..or a potassium suppliment, prescribed by your dr, the over the counter potassium suppliments don't cut it. Make sure you talk to your dr about the use of lasix don't just let him give you a script & not tell you the side effects (light headedness, irregular heart rhythm, weakness, muscle cramps). Dyazide may be a better choice or a thazide type diuretic.

Different people react differently to different travel experiences. Salt air is not really a myth :) Humidity can be a factor for many people, especially humidity in the sea air (and even more importantly, when your body isn't accustomed). The water onboard can be a factor (many people react differently to water that is not "home" water), excess salt in the food, not enough activity, alcohol, (and I'm sure there are others). I retain a ton of water because of the medication I'm on, traveling makes it worse. Elevating your feet ABOVE heart level can help, drinking lots of water can help, lots of exercise (to the point of elevating your heart level and sweating), and foods with a lot of potassium are all things that can help. Given long enough, your body adjusts but most people aren't traveling long enough for that to happen. I've been known to lay backwards on the bed, resting my feet on the wall until the fluid "drains." But, painful as it sometimes is, walking, walking, walking works the best, it keeps everything moving.

Watermelon, strawberries, oranges, and pineapple work for me and laying off known salty foods (bacon/breakfast meats, chinese, deli foods, fried foods). I don't like taking lasex, as I have to "go" way too much to be convenient. But, some over-the-counter meds also work, and aren't as strong. Hitting a sauna can also help (if you can stand them, I can't).

Other than that, usually it goes away within a day or 2 of returning home. If it doesn't, it definitely warrants a trip to your doctor as excess fluid retention could be indicative of something else.

I just love CC .... You are so right! Everyone is different. My problem is ever since my gallbladder was removered several years ago I have had issues with swelling. I have to travel for my job and find that everything effects my swelling .... The only thing that I haven't ever tried is the Black Cherry....Today I will start.

OceanDreams

Archived