no passport needed

casperbks

Your comment about not needing your marriage certificate for your passport prompted me to look up the requirements since I remember sending mine in to get my passport. This is what I found:

If you changed your legal name
by way of marriage or otherwise you will need to provide evidence of the name change: a certified copy of either

- A marriage certificate,
or

- A name change court decree.

I didn't look it up to prove you wrong but to check my memory. LOL.:o

Well you didn't prove me wrong I didn't send it in with mine. Just because you find it on a website now doesn't mean 11 years ago I needed it. I got my passport prior to 9-11 and my memory has been checked as well. Thanks

Well you didn't prove me wrong I didn't send it in with mine. Just because you find it on a website now doesn't mean 11 years ago I needed it. I got my passport prior to 9-11 and my memory has been checked as well. Thanks

As I said, I wasn't trying to prove you wrong--sorry if I offended. You said you didn't know why you would need it now and I was showing you what the website says. I wasn't saying you didn't need it before and was simply trying to help. :rolleyes:

As I said, I wasn't trying to prove you wrong--sorry if I offended. You said you didn't know why you would need it now and I was showing you what the website says. I wasn't saying you didn't need it before and was simply trying to help. :rolleyes:

Ok thanks!!

Passports and other travel documents -- I'd use the information here at CC as a starting point, the people here are very knowledgable. You also need to check with the cruise line and the government of any country you plan to visit. I remember reading about a cruise to South America where a large group of travellers weren't alowed to get off at one of the ports -- they had passports but no one told them they also needed to apply for visas. Bottom line, educate yourself.

Right now you can take a closed loop cruise to the Carribean without a passport. Who knows if that may change in the future, but for now that's the rule.

A passport is like an insurance policy. You have to consider the hassle and the cost, as well as the likelyhood that you could have a problem and the consequences of not having one if you do have a problem. If you don't get the passport and you never need it, wonderful. If you don't get one and find yourself stranded in a foreign country, the hassle of dealing with the consulate etc. is the risk you assumed. Your decision.

For me it's a non-issue, because I travel outside the US on trips other than cruises. But I take the passport on the cruise because it's so much more convenient.

On another thread HAL. One person wanted to know if he did not intemt to get off the ship why did he need a passport. The answer if you are in that countries waters you need a passport.

If your ship NEVER leaves out of U.S. waters you do not need a passport. If you go to Alaska through Canada you need a passport.If you go through Seattle don't need one. If you go to Puerto

Rico and no other Country no passport, Ensenda is Mexico, a passport is needed.

New laws. Please check Immigration on all issues. If you have ever seen people turned away from the ship because of passport problems, your heart just breaks. Then there is Visa issues for some ountries , one is Brazil, also China and Russia.

If you change your name for any reason, a passport/ or change to passport will settle that.

PLEASE don't ruin your vacation because of a little inconvenience.

that

On another thread HAL. One person wanted to know if he did not intemt to get off the ship why did he need a passport. The answer if you are in that countries waters you need a passport.

If your ship NEVER leaves out of U.S. waters you do not need a passport. If you go to Alaska through Canada you need a passport.If you go through Seattle don't need one. If you go to Puerto

New laws. Please check Immigration on all issues. If you have ever seen people turned away from the ship because of passport problems, your heart just breaks. Then there is Visa issues for some ountries , one is Brazil, also China and Russia.

If you change your name for any reason, a passport/ or change to passport will settle that.

that

I am a big passport proponant. But you are totally wrong. Please don't give people incorrect information. If it's a closed loop cruise, regardless of where it goes, you don't NEED a passport.

that

There is a closed loop cruise exception that you are completely ignorant of. In the last 2 years my family has been to Canada, Mexico, British Virgin Islands, and the Bahamas without a passport. We were able to do so on closed-loop cruises from the US. Please stop giving out incorrect information.

There is a closed loop cruise exception that you are completely ignorant of. In the last 2 years my family has been to Canada, Mexico, British Virgin Islands, and the Bahamas without a passport. We were able to do so on closed-loop cruises from the US. Please stop giving out incorrect information.

Yes! Yours and my opinons might vary on the subject, but those are just opinons. I sure hate to see straight up mis-information posted....

You don't need a pass port for most cruises. That being said, you probably need to answer a few simple questions. Will you ever get sick and need serious medical help during a cruise? Will you ever have an accident during a cruise. Will you ever be late in returning to the ship and miss the boat? If you cannot answer "Absolutely not!" to all these questions, you just may need a Pass Port. If any of those things happen and you need to get a emmergency Pass Port, you will pay an arm and a leg. So it is a gamble. With out a Pass Port, most people win although some people lose. Make your choice.

The good ol' passport threads. They always come back, full of misinformation and opinions. :D

I guess I can give the posters from 2-3 years ago a pass for vehemently claiming you would have to have a passport to cruise, considering there was a lot of misinformation at the time. :rolleyes:

However, it has been almost three years and the WHTI final rule on land and sea entries that became effective on June 1, 2009, should have settled a lot of this . . .

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2008-04-03/pdf/E8-6725.pdf

Look at my signature. Most of these cruises were in the caribbean. All of these cruises were closed loop cruises. All of these cruises were done with DL and certified BC from our state dept of vital statistics for all members of our family of 4 with absolutely no problems. My married name on my DL is not the same as my BC and I have never been asked to show a ML. Just my actual experience.

Same here. We use DL and BC and never had a problem. My last name is different on BC than DL - no problems!

Same here. We use DL and BC and never had a problem. My last name is different on BC than DL - no problems!

I'm glad you haven't had any problems, but there are those who have. I used to cruise with BC and DL and also took my marriage certificate just in case. Good thing, too, because I was asked for to board one cruise. I was told I would have been denied boarding if I hadn't had it with me. Have a passport now, so no longer an issue. :)

2006 was the last time I took same port cruises. I am SORRY that I was wrong. I saw people turned away from a San Diego to Ft Lauderdale , but that was not same port.

Also, please remember the people at the dock checking you in, don't work for Carnival or the cruise line. They work for the government. Don't go by what Carnival list on their web-site but what the government lists!

The people checking you in work for Carnival, or whatever cruise line you are sailing. You never see a government employee until you meet CBP at the end of the cruise.

The people checking you in work for Carnival, or whatever cruise line you are sailing. You never see a government employee until you meet CBP at the end of the cruise.

Maybe I was wrong, I've always been told they are not cruise employees. I stand corrected.

Archived