Anybody got any cool momentos?

BigKeith

What with ships being gutted when they're being refurbished or perhaps transferred to other companies, has anyone got any items that were no longer needed in their private cruise collections?

Big Keith

Not sure if I understand your question correctly. Are you asking for people to share photos of their momentos, or are you a collector looking for things that someone might be willing to sell? :confused: If you're looking for items to collect, have you tried eBay?

Keith- there was a programme on TV about a man who collected things from cruise ships which were in poor condition- he had the original carpet from the QM, and many other objects, which were going to be scrapped.

I'm keeping my eyes open for the carpets on NCL Jade.....there's a few I covet! ;)

Jo.

Keith- there was a programme on TV about a man who collected things from cruise ships which were in poor condition- he had the original carpet from the QM, and many other objects, which were going to be scrapped.

I'm keeping my eyes open for the carpets on NCL Jade.....there's a few I covet! ;)

Jo.

Ive never seen that Jo, might have to see if i can find it online. Any idea what it was called?

On the final Winter Crossing of the QE2, in January, 2008, they had some interesting items for sale in her shops. One of these was a salvaged steam turbine blade, in a custom wooden mounting. These came from the ship when she was converted from steam to diesel power. The one on the ship sold quickly, and I was disappointed. But after doing some research when I got home, I found that maritime dealer Nauticalia had some more of them. I purchased one and it has a brass plaque stating it is number 11 of 27. It stands proudly in my collection...

Another source besides Ebay, is Christies's. They occasionally hold maritime auctions...

Ive never seen that Jo, might have to see if i can find it online. Any idea what it was called?

No, but I have an inkling that it might have been a Flog It programme- the bit when they visit dealers, or historical places....

I have some curtains made for cruise ships, but they're not momentos....they're seconds!:p A lot of Carnival ships have soft furnishings made by a mill in Dewsbury, called Skopas....I have a long draped one which should have been on the QE2; several Princess prints, and others from P&O ships. Not quite memories of cruising, but it's amusing to go on board and spot the prints. The mill screen prints on cotton material which is fire proof for 100 washes, so they furnish many hotels round the world- and virtually every UK hospital!

Jo.

Archived