Pompeii and Capri, can we do this?

belkin

We are scheduled to be in port from 7am to 7pm. We are going to go to Pompeii on our own. Since we will be there until 7pm I was wondering if we would have enough time to go to Capri too or would this be too much? Any suggestions?

We are scheduled to be in port from 7am to 7pm. We are going to go to Pompeii on our own. Since we will be there until 7pm I was wondering if we would have enough time to go to Capri too or would this be too much? Any suggestions?

Doable? Probably, but I thinkCapri is certainly worth the day---you may be disappointed if you shortchange yourself on the time there (or at Pompeii, for that matter).

I think it's quite do-able.

If you get off the ship just as soon as they allow and get right to Porta Nolana for the Circumvesuviana, you'll be at Pompei between 8:30 - 9 AM. Unless you are deeply into the ruins, most people are quite happy with two or two and a half hours there.

From Pompei you reboard the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento, where you'd get a ferry out to Capri.

If you leave Pompei at 11 AM, you'd be in Sorrento between 11:30 - 12 noon and out to Capri by 1 PM.

Capri is easy via the hydrofoil, if you want to do pompeii too I would suggest getting a driver doing that first to get it out of the way before the crowds arrive and then heading back to port and taking the hydrofoil over to Capri, purchase your return ticket in advance so you don't have to panic in the rush to return.

Thanks for the replies. Not sure if we will go. Think we will play it by ear. If we finish up in Pompeii early then we could at least consider it.

But you could also go on to Sorrento anyway, it is lovely and you can bathe there or eat at the Marina where the ferry leaves. It is then just one ferry ride back to the ship rather than a ferry across to Capri and then another one back to the ship.

If you do want to go to Capri, I would agree that a taxi would be a good way to get to Sorrento faster than the train so you are maximising your time at Capri. There are lots of taxis waiting for cruise ship passengers outside the terminal. They have fixed prices (but you could negotiate as you would be getting a combo of two of the prices and they will wait for you whilst you visit Pompeii.

Even including the taxi costs, the day would be less than a ship tour if there are more than 2 of you going.

This is a link to trip advisor about taxis in Naples and it includes a link to the taxi schedule. The date of the schedule is old, but has not been updated.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187785-s304/Naples:Italy:Taxis.And.Rental.Cars.html

If you do want to go to Capri, I would agree that a taxi would be a good way to get to Sorrento faster than the train so you are maximising your time at Capri.

I wouldn't count on a taxi being faster, it may be but it's not a sure thing.

From Naples to Pompei the odds are good that a taxi will be faster than the train, but from Pompei to Sorrento, not so much. The traffic going down to the Sorrentine peninsula is bad year round and it's a one lane road.

I wouldn't count on a taxi being faster, it may be but it's not a sure thing.

From Naples to Pompei the odds are good that a taxi will be faster than the train, but from Pompei to Sorrento, not so much. The traffic going down to the Sorrentine peninsula is bad year round and it's a one lane road.

Ah yes, a point that I had forgotten.

Maybe the advice should be to get the taxi to Pompeii (which cuts out the walk to the train station which is not that far, but does waste precious minutes) and have the train schedule with them so they don't miss a train by minutes and then take the train from Pompeii to Sorrento.

Archived