SetSail pass boarding time?

I'm new to RCCL - just printed out my pass and it says boarding time is 2pm!

is that just a 'suggested' time? Surely, espeically with a suite, we can board first thing (11am'ish) right?!

Yes, just a suggested time. Typically by 11:30 boarding starts. Can easily get to port early, give the porters your luggage, and then anxiously wait! :) It's definitely what we do! Staterooms are typically available at 1:00 - 1:30.

We usually arrive between 10:30 and 11am. The latest that I've seen boarding begin is around 11:30am. Rooms available usually by 1pm. However, there are isolated cases when boarding does begin later due to customs issues, etc....but, we've always been lucky enough to be onboard by 11:30am.

Yup, boarding is "usually" around 11-11:30. Even in a suite however your room won't be ready then. You will have to wander around the ship for a while and maybe grab lunch. Most of the rooms are ready at 1-1:30.

I had thought the suites would be ready sooner then the other staterooms but it seems that is not the case. I guess that is why they give the 2pm time to arrive ~ that way your room is ready when you first board.

On the flip side of things, if they are running really behind then you get to sit and wait at the port for hours, twiddling your thumbs :p There have been a couple of times I read about that due to illness on the ship they were forced to sanitize it from top to bottom and guest didn't board until 5pm. I am sure this makes guest grumpy but it can't be helped.

I just wanted to point out there are times boarding is really late. :cool:

Our departure time mysteriosly got moved back three hours when we printed pass versus what our booking confirmations say. Now departure is at 8pm. The docs say everyone must he checked in and onboard 90 minutes prior to departure - so 6:30. But boarding does not start until 4:30. Do they really expect to board everyone on Mariner in two hours!:eek: I don't think so but have no idea when they really will start boarding.

Reason for delay is still up in the air. Some say Miami HQ big wigs want to tour the newly upgraded ship while it is right there. Some say it is Coast Guard inspection given all the changes. Could be both or something else. Ship is arriving empty so not really a turn over as much as a just loading.

We're planning to go to pier a Noon as long as we see the ship there. At least to get rid of luggage and play it by ear after that.

I hope you don't mind my jumping in on your post.

I've been used to seeing boarding times of 2:00 and yet we arrive by noon. On my upcoming cruise, the set sail pass says that boarding time is 12:00, cruise documents say check-in starts at 11:00. So now I'm puzzling over how early to show up ... Any thoughts?

Remind me to never invite any of you to dinner at 6 ;)

I show up when invited and the room is ready and still food left.

Sorry just the way my parents raised me.

I know you're being silly/light hearted, but I HAVE to reply... :p

If you invite me to dinner at 6pm, I'll probably arrive at or slightly after 5:55. Any earlier would be rude. And I view arriving after 6 rude as well.

Do you remember the movie The Money Pit? LOVED the line where one gal in the orchestra told "Anna" as she arrived promptly on time "You're late!" (and stated the time) to which Anna replied "In America we have a term for that. It's called On Time." ROFL (or something similar to that anyway - it's been a LONG time since I saw that movie)

But the time on the set sail pass is just a suggestion IMHO. I am not intruding on someone's home and their getting ready for guests. The cruise line expects to have passengers milling about while they finish 'cleaning up for the party'. LOL

IMHO the documented boarding time is a time provided to lower our expectations for getting on board. They really aren't concerned on when we board ship. They are concerned about the stateroom staff having enough time to prepare all the rooms. If they didn't want us boarding earlier they wouldn't let us. By boarding passengers earlier than the published boarding time they reduce the stress of the rush hour.

But you might feel different if you had invited 2500 to 6000 guests and expected to serve dinner at 6. ;)

Did it ever occur to you that if everyone arrived at the time on the set sail pass that they couldn't process everyone on time as well as do muster?

Sorry but my parents raised me to think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how does such a genuine innocent query end up with negative comments....:mad:

I don't feel the comments were that negative. I respect the person's opinion who felt the time should be abided by. (don't agree, but I do respect!) And I think others were simply saying that while it is a valid point for a dinner, it's not the case with the ship boarding.

:)

Archived