Having dinner served in Oceania suite

eddmel

We are going to be in an Oceania Suite on the Riviera in the near future. Can we have dinner served in the room with one of us ordering from Polo and the other from Red Ginger?

You sure can!

If you're feeling really crazy you could mix and match from any of the restaurants. ;)

092435.jpgAbsolutely WONDERFUL!

I have the same question but instead of a suite we have the A2 cabin. Can we still have our butler serve us plates from the specialty restaurants in our room?

Thanks in advance!

edit: actually does an A2 even have a butler?

I have the same question but instead of a suite we have the A2 cabin. Can we still have our butler serve us plates from the specialty restaurants in our room?

Thanks in advance!

edit: actually does an A2 even have a butler?

No butler

You need a PH or above ;)

You can order room service though ;)

You can, but it's not very good.

On our last cruise in March I ordered a roast turkey sandwich. It had the thinnest slice of turkey I have ever seen in my life. The onion soup is not very good either. Best to stick with things like fruit plates and cheese and crackers.

On an earlier cruise we made the mistake of ordering a steak dinner. it was inedible.

Mo

I wouldn't say we loved it (onion soup) in the past, but it was fine. This time, on Regatta it was tasteless.

I love the meusli on Regatta, but on Marina it was not the same. So happy to have the old recipe used again this time on Regatta.

So much depends on the Chef. It's a wonder there is as much consistency across the ships as there is.

Mo

We enjoy having breakfast in our cabin from time to time. How is the breakfast menu and service on the Marina? Taste and selection? We'll be in a suite served by a butler if that makes any difference.

That is one of the beauties of having a butler, they will bring you anything that you want from the Grand Dining Room and/or the Buffet, except that it is all cooked to order, served beautifully and piping hot.

210845.jpg

Oceania really does breakfast very well.

This photograph was taken on the veranda of a Vista Suite on the Nautica.

That is one of the beauties of having a butler, they will bring you anything that you want from the Grand Dining Room and/or the Buffet, except that it is all cooked to order, served beautifully and piping hot.

210845.jpg

Oceania really does breakfast very well.

This photograph was taken on the veranda of a Vista Suite on the Nautica.

JimandStan - I take it that on the PH suite on Regatta it is served inside? I presume you could have the doorts open and still have the feeling of being nearly on the deck :) This breakfast is THE MAIN reason for us upgrading!! So excited!!

172353.jpg Every R ship Penthouse Veranda that I have ever seen would be large enough for breakfast for two, however, the butler has to set up the table before you go out there. Three would be a crowd.

Inside the room, fully opening the curtains gives that outdoor "feeling" that you are looking for, but propping that door open is strongly discouraged.

It does something very bad to the Air conditioning system. :eek:

We just returned from the Legends & Wonders cruise (April 12) sailing of the Marina and had an Oceania Suite.

We had breakfast in our room every day and dined in our cabin for dinner two of the ten nights. Both times we ordered from the specialty dining restaurants (once from Toscana and once from Red Ginger) and both times they were served course by course and both were wonderful.

We did order our dessert from Jacques because we really enjoyed the desserts in that restaurant. Our Butler was AMAZING. After long days in port, sometimes it was nice to just enjoy our cabin.

One of the highlights of the trip was our dinner in La Reserve with the other suite guests. Truly unforgettable!

Cruise, service and food in every venue, was outstanding in every way. Needless to say we are going through withdrawals without our Butler!

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

We just returned from the Legends & Wonders cruise (April 12) sailing of the Marina and had an Oceania Suite.

We had breakfast in our room every day and dined in our cabin for dinner two of the ten nights. Both times we ordered from the specialty dining restaurants (once from Toscana and once from Red Ginger) and both times they were served course by course and both were wonderful.

We did order our dessert from Jacques because we really enjoyed the desserts in that restaurant. Our Butler was AMAZING. After long days in port, sometimes it was nice to just enjoy our cabin.

One of the highlights of the trip was our dinner in La Reserve with the other suite guests. Truly unforgettable!

Wee e you invited to la reserve because you were in a suite, or did you book on your own?

We were in PH1 on a TA cruise last Nov. I was SO excited to have a dinner served course by course in our room. We had been in a PH before, but had not taken advantage of this service (didn't even use room service once on our previous 2 O cruise...we have since learned how silly that was!)

When we met our butler on day one, I mentioned we would like to have dinner in our room once on the 18 day cruise. I asked how much notice he would like, saying I would try to pick a day that he was not too busy with other people's requests. No problem, whenever we wanted, I was told. A few days later(at the start of our 4 consecutive sea days) I asked him again, if there was a day he would prefer. No problem, whenever we like, we were told. I certainly felt that the fact I was asking (more than once) inferred that it would be a time consuming, course by course affair!

So, on our chosen day, we phoned at 2:30 PM( again, TONS of notice!), said we would be having dinner in our room, and requested specialty restaurant menus. At 4PM we phoned and placed our order, asking for the meal as soon as possible after 6:30 PM, when the restaurants opened.

I expected someone to come and set the table up with all the cutlery, glassware, etc, but that didn't happen. We got a knock on the door, the butler arrived with all our food at once, and placed it on the small folding stand that lives behind the curtain. No larger table top was placed on the small table, no extra linens, glassware(we aren't big wine drinkers, but thought a nice water goblet might be placed on the table). Our main courses were placed on the table, with the Caesar salads left on the tray.

I was rather shocked, but was thinking, was I wrong in thinking of how this would happen? I said something like we'll start with the salads, and the butler sat the plate with the salad ON TOP OF the lid covering our main course! No beverages were offered, we got a bottle of water from our fridge.

We ate our meal(delicious, but for what I had looked forward to for months, a disappointment), he returned, cleaned up our dishes. No offer of dessert, coffee.

I did speak to the concierge the next day, who said he would speak to the manager, of housekeeping, who is apparently in charge of the butlers. It took 2 days for her to come and speak to us. She was very apologetic, asked what she could do (we asked for a bottle of wine, no idea what else to ask for!), and said please let us serve you dinner again. We declined, the blush was off the rose. Our butler came with the head of butlers and apologized profusely, and again offered to serve us in our room, but we just felt it would be awkward.

Our butler kindly came again on the last day to apologize. We certainly could tell he felt badly, but were still surprised that it had ever happened like this.

The point of my story: TELL the butler you want it served course by course!

* Just so you know, prior to this dinner request, we had only made one special request of our butler: extra glasses and some mixed nuts for one afternoon that we had friends to our room. I had tipped him extra for that!

Our experiences for over 10 cruises were just the opposite. We told our wonderful butlers that we enjoyed dinner in our OS many evenings and were always served course by course (although we usually only get salad main and dessert and wine). We placed our order about 1/2 hour before we wanted it (usually early) and always had the best most attentive service with a beautifully set table followed by the meal.

So sorry you didn't have the same!

We were in PH1 on a TA cruise last Nov. I was SO excited to have a dinner served course by course in our room. We had been in a PH before, but had not taken advantage of this service (didn't even use room service once on our previous 2 O cruise...we have since learned how silly that was!)

When we met our butler on day one, I mentioned we would like to have dinner in our room once on the 18 day cruise. I asked how much notice he would like, saying I would try to pick a day that he was not too busy with other people's requests. No problem, whenever we wanted, I was told. A few days later(at the start of our 4 consecutive sea days) I asked him again, if there was a day he would prefer. No problem, whenever we like, we were told. I certainly felt that the fact I was asking (more than once) inferred that it would be a time consuming, course by course affair!

So, on our chosen day, we phoned at 2:30 PM( again, TONS of notice!), said we would be having dinner in our room, and requested specialty restaurant menus. At 4PM we phoned and placed our order, asking for the meal as soon as possible after 6:30 PM, when the restaurants opened.

I expected someone to come and set the table up with all the cutlery, glassware, etc, but that didn't happen. We got a knock on the door, the butler arrived with all our food at once, and placed it on the small folding stand that lives behind the curtain. No larger table top was placed on the small table, no extra linens, glassware(we aren't big wine drinkers, but thought a nice water goblet might be placed on the table). Our main courses were placed on the table, with the Caesar salads left on the tray.

I was rather shocked, but was thinking, was I wrong in thinking of how this would happen? I said something like we'll start with the salads, and the butler sat the plate with the salad ON TOP OF the lid covering our main course! No beverages were offered, we got a bottle of water from our fridge.

We ate our meal(delicious, but for what I had looked forward to for months, a disappointment), he returned, cleaned up our dishes. No offer of dessert, coffee.

I did speak to the concierge the next day, who said he would speak to the manager, of housekeeping, who is apparently in charge of the butlers. It took 2 days for her to come and speak to us. She was very apologetic, asked what she could do (we asked for a bottle of wine, no idea what else to ask for!), and said please let us serve you dinner again. We declined, the blush was off the rose. Our butler came with the head of butlers and apologized profusely, and again offered to serve us in our room, but we just felt it would be awkward.

Our butler kindly came again on the last day to apologize. We certainly could tell he felt badly, but were still surprised that it had ever happened like this.

The point of my story: TELL the butler you want it served course by course!

* Just so you know, prior to this dinner request, we had only made one special request of our butler: extra glasses and some mixed nuts for one afternoon that we had friends to our room. I had tipped him extra for that!

Wow - that is pretty amazing....

When we were on the Sun, the butler ALWAYS served all of the courses together at once with the exception of desert.

On the Marina, the butler ALWAYS served dinner course by course (well, appetizers and salads, then main courses separately...then desert later on.

I guess it does matter who the butler is...

I see you are on the November Rome to Rio cruise...so are we...give the in room dining another chance would be my suggestion....

Oh my goodness is all I can say!!! We are so looking forward to our course by course meal served by the butler! Thank you for posting that, at least I will be aware to ask for course by course and maybe a table cloth?? I sure hope we get great room service :)

Rome to Rio was in 2011, so we won't be on the same cruise with you. It is a GREAT cruise, you'll love it!

Next cruise for us, in Sept to the Baltic, we are in a B, so can't try the course by course again!

Maybe the cruise after that, hopefully!

Oops...i guess i read that too quickly ...what year is this?? :)

all I know is i can't wait for the 2014 cruises :)

Wee e you invited to la reserve because you were in a suite, or did you book on your own?

Yes we were invited because we were in an Oceania Suite and we dined with the other 11 Oceania suites that night.

We love La Reserve, but the dinner for Suite patrons is nothing like the same experience.

It was something between the Chefs Patio Dinner on the R ships, and the Captains cocktail party with better food. :rolleyes:

We enjoyed the company, but I'm very glad that we ALSO booked La Reserve privately.

092435.jpg

Of course, knowing that we have that fully staffed and provisioned private dining room available to us, back in our Oceania Suite, makes us MUCH more critical of any other dining experience on Shore or on land.

628x471.jpg

That Duck & Watermelon Salad is calling my name again....

Three Days to go!

Archived