My Wonderful trip report on EXPLORER 4-12-12 to 4-21-12 - WITH PICS!

Hi Everyone,

As the title says, we went on the Explorer leaving out of Bayonne, NJ on April 12, 2012 to April 21, 2012. !0 glorious days with stops in Bermuda, St. Marten, St. Thomas and San Juan PR. This trip was a long time coming. We booked this trip way back in August 2010!!! I could not wait to get on the ship!

Here is a little background on our group. We are a group of 7 people. I'm 42 years old and I love traveling! I love planning the trip and I have spent many days on Cruise Critic trying to find as much info about cruising and the Explorer as I can. DH is 47 and has a very stressful job. This trip for him was much needed and he wanted to rest as much as possible. We have 2 boys, 16 years old and 14 years old. They are good kids and I'm happy we can create these memories for them. We were also traveling with my MIL who will be 70 years old next month. She needed a scooter for this trip and I think for the most part it worked out great. DH's aunt also came with us, she shared a room with my MIL. I think she is a couple of years older then my MIL. My BIL is 44 years old and he was traveling solo.

5 of us traveled together. DH and I, the 2 boys and my MIL. DH's aunt and brother met us later in the day. Here is our welcome aboard pic.

Scan.jpg?disposition=download

More to come in the next post

Loralie

We drove the Cape Liberty and check in was a breeze. I should note that it went very quickly partly because my MIL needed a wheelchair. They took us right away to priority Check in and before we knew it we were on the bus on our way to the ship.

Here is a pic of our first view of the beautiful Explorer of the Seas.

IMG_2269.jpg?disposition=download

As soon as we got on the ship we made our way to the Windjammer Buffet and the food was much better then I expected. For over a year I kept reading how the food is not as good as it used to be and I was very nervous but I had no reason to be nervous. Mostly everything I ate I liked and enjoyed. I tried the famous honey stung chicken and it did not disappoint. It was fresh and delicious.

After we ate I went to the dining room to check out our table. I was not happy with our first table and asked them to change it and they did so without a problem. Everyone was so nice on this trip. I can't say enough about the service we received.

My MIL rented a scooter from Special Needs at Sea and her scooter was waiting in her room. I told my DH to stay in the Windjammer with my MIL and I would go to the room to get the scooter and drive it back to the windjammer so she can explorer the ship. Only problem was the rooms were not open yet. I asked one the the room stewards who was standing by the closed doors if I could go in the room early just to get the scooter but english was not her first language and she did not really understand what I was saying and she sent me to guest services. Guest services told me to go back and ask the room steward again. At this point it was only about 20 min. till the rooms opened up so me and the boys decided to check out the promenade and just wait for the rooms to be open.

We finally get to my MIL's room and we get to the scooter and it turns on but I can't get it to move!!! I am pressing every button and turning every knob I can think of. Finally I send my older son back to the windjammer to tell them I can't get the scooter to move and I look through the instruction manual. Finally after what seemed like forever I got it to work. There was a lever in the back that needed to be moved. My younger son and I now go back to the windjammer. I am driving, poorly I might add, but we finally make it. My son tells my DH he thought I was going to crash through the glass elevator! LOL After all that we finally get to see our room.

DH and I were in a handicapped room #7300. I was also very nervous about how the rooms would look. I kept reading how they needed to be redone and the ship is so old. Was there wear and tear? Yes. Was it enough to bother me or my family? Not at all. D The boys were in a PR room right across the hall from us 7301. MIL and DH's aunt had the handicapped room next door 7304 and my BIL was down the hall in 7330.

Here is a few pics of our room - 7300

IMG_2281.jpg?disposition=download

IMG_2283.jpg?disposition=download

IMG_2285.jpg?disposition=download

Loralie

Great start....keep it coming. I love the Explorer :)

Thanks for reading along. :)

wait, you had a great time on the infamous 'arosolized fecal matter' poop ship? that's unpossible!!!

looking forward to seeing pics!

LOL, I have to say I only smelled something once and it was for a quick second while I was walking up the stairs. I think I was on deck 8 to deck 9 and it left as fast as it came. I was with my older son and I asked him if he passed gas and he said no and then I thought, Oh, that must be the smell. Ha Ha Ha.

Thanks for reading along.

Loralie

As I said before, my boys were in a PR room 7301. Here is a few pics of their room

IMG_2293.jpg?disposition=download

IMG_2289.jpg?disposition=download

The view from their room, sorry, not a great pic.

IMG_2291.jpg?disposition=download

The boys enjoying having their own room

IMG_2295.jpg?disposition=download

After we checked out our rooms most of our luggage arrived and so did my BIL and DH's aunt. We quickly unpacked and made our way up to the pool deck for the sail away party.

more to come, hope you are still reading along! LOL

Loralie

Thanks for sharing. Am going on this boat next year, so always love seeing photos and reading about peoples experiences. All I can say re the food is everyones preferences are difference, and figure I'll make my own mind up when I get onboard. That being said I've never dined in a five star hotel before, so I can't imagine I will have too many problems with the food, especially if I dont have to do the washing up :)

Kylie

The sail away party was a lot of fun but it was very windy. I really wanted a nice tropical drink but I was too cold. They had a DJ playing good dance music and people were dancing and having fun. I was so excited to go under the Verrazano Bridge. This was only my 3rd cruise. DH and I had our first cruise on our honeymoon 18 years ago. it was on the Monarch and at that time that was the biggest and the best ship!!! Then, back in 2007 we went on a Carnival cruise with my family leaving out of NY. For some reason, we were at dinner when we went under the bridge and I was upset that we missed being on deck for that. I was not missing going under the bridge this time. Here are some pics of the sail away party and going under the bridge

IMG_2300.jpg?disposition=download

IMG_2307.jpg?disposition=download

IMG_2320.jpg?disposition=download

IMG_2326.jpg?disposition=download

IMG_2327.jpg?disposition=download

IMG_2341.jpg?disposition=download

It was an awesome view and at one point it looks like it might not make it. The activities staff really tried to make sure everyone was having a fun time.

Loralie

Thanks for sharing. Am going on this boat next year, so always love seeing photos and reading about peoples experiences. All I can say re the food is everyones preferences are difference, and figure I'll make my own mind up when I get onboard. That being said I've never dined in a five star hotel before, so I can't imagine I will have too many problems with the food, especially if I dont have to do the washing up :)

Kylie

I am sure you will like the food. Like you said, at least you don't have to clean up. LOL. That was the best part for me. Someone else was doing the cooking and the cleaning. Truly a vacation.

Thanks for reading along,

Loralie

Do you mind if I ask about how much is the price to rent the scooter? I am going on this same cruise in August and we are considering renting a scooter for my dad. Also, when we booked, we didn't think we would be in this position for him so he is not in a handicapped room. Do you think the scooter would fit? He is in 7610.

I forgot to mention that we went to muster drill before the sail away party. We were on deck 4 outside but the thing I was not happy about was that my kids were in a different muster station then we were. Their room was directly across the hall from us but that did not mean they were in our muster station. They were also on deck 4 but a few stations down. I told them that in case of an emergency they were to go to their muster station and not to worry. we would find them. Thankfully we did not have any problems. :)

Dinner the first night was very nice. I had the famous onion tart and I enjoyed it very much. I also had the prime rib and I made the mistake of telling them I wanted it plain. I think it would have been better if I had the sauce they put on it. For desert I had the peach and blueberry cobbler with vanilla ice cream and it was really good. The cobbler said "low fat" on it but the vanilla ice cream took care of that. :D

After dinner we went to karaoke. We got the time wrong and we only saw the last 15 min. of it. It was not that good. I think being the first night most people were tired after a long day. I like to sing at karaoke but I was tired and not in the mood. My MIL wanted to sing a song and she looked at the book but did not find a song she wanted to sing. After that was over a song was playing and my younger son wanted to ask the girl in charge if that song was in the karaoke book. DH and I and our younger son stayed behind to ask the girl. Everyone else went to the Promenade. The parade was starting soon. After we asked the girl about the song. DH and our younger son wanted to go back to the room to relax. I went to the Promenade to see if I could find everyone else and watch the parade. I did not see anybody but I found a good spot to watch the parade. They put the ribbon up to keep all the people to the sides and then I see my MIL, BIL, DH's aunt and my older DS come out of a store on the other side of the Promenade. So we watched the parade together but on opposite sides.

The parade was a little bit of a let down. We have been to Disney 3 times and to me it was just OK. I have some pics of the parade but they are a little dark.

IMG_2370.jpg?disposition=download

IMG_2387.jpg?disposition=download

IMG_2388.jpg?disposition=download

IMG_2389.jpg?disposition=download

After the parade I was tired and went to the room to relax and go to bed. It had been a very busy, but fun day.

Hope you guys are enjoying reading my report as I am having fun writing it. It is helping with the blues of not being on vacation anymore. LOL

Up next, Day 2,

Thanks for joining me on my journey,

Loralie

Do you mind if I ask about how much is the price to rent the scooter? I am going on this same cruise in August and we are considering renting a scooter for my dad. Also, when we booked, we didn't think we would be in this position for him so he is not in a handicapped room. Do you think the scooter would fit? He is in 7610.

My MIL rented the scooter and if I remember correctly she got the biggest one, the one that held the most weight and it was a little under $300.00 for the 10 days. It was better then she thought it would be. She thought it was going to be around $500.00.

I don't know about it fitting in the room you have but I did see someone down the hall had a scooter and they kept it in the hall every day. I don't know how they charged it. I believe they have the dimensions on the Royal Caribbean website and I am sure when you rent the scooter it will say how wide it is and I would think it would fit. I am sure everything will work out. We saw quite a few people in scooters.

Have fun on your trip.

Loralie

Can you say more about how the boarding process went with your MIL? We are traveling with my mother in June. She uses a walker and has some trouble with high/steep steps. I'm concerned about the shuttle bus and plan to take a small folding step stool in case the step is too high. Also, is the gangplank really steep for a walker?

Really enjoying your review! Can't wait to read more..:)

Great review, can't wait to read the rest, thanks for taking the time to post it.

What a great start! Can't wait to see the rest! You look like you had a wonderful cruise! Loving all the pics!:)

Thank you everyone for the nice comments. :)

I will post more later tonight,

Loralie

Can you say more about how the boarding process went with your MIL? We are traveling with my mother in June. She uses a walker and has some trouble with high/steep steps. I'm concerned about the shuttle bus and plan to take a small folding step stool in case the step is too high. Also, is the gangplank really steep for a walker?

If she boards a bus that can take wheelchairs it will be a low step for her to get on the bus. Also I don't think the gangplank is steep at all. You board on deck 1 so that should not be a problem.

I would suggest seeing if she would be OK using a wheelchair to get on the ship. As soon as my DH dropped us off with the luggage my MiL only had to walk a short way and made her way to a bench (she used a cane) and then we found someone with a wheelchair and they stayed with her through the whole check in process and took her on the bus with the wheelchair and wheeled her right to the Windjammer. They were so nice.

The ship is HUGE. If she needs a walker she may be more comfortable renting a scooter. Just something to consider. Have a great time on your trip! :)

Loralie

Great trip report can't wait to read more. My husband and I are going with two other couples no kids. This is our first vacation without our kids my one daughter will be getting married in May and the other will be leaving to do the Disney college program. We are going out of Bayonne on July 19th looking forward to a much needed vacation after the wedding. It's nice to read your report because I heard there was a bad smell on the 8th and 9th floor and we are on the 9th floor but as you said it wasn't that bad. We really wanted to go on one of the newer ships but we didn't want to fly as we don't live far from Bayonne plus we wanted a 10 day cruise. So keep posting! Thanks :D

Love reading your review! We sail in a few months. Just wondering if you know the cost for a wine package? We are thinking about it but online it just asks if you want to prepurchase no price or what's included! I don't want to click and have it added without knowing what I'm adding. Thanks and I look forward to more!

Archived