Leaving on a Jet Plane . . . Mariner 4/30 - 5/20 Travel Blog

Entry for Rome:

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/thewrens/4/1336060641/tpod.html

We were a little hesitant about booking this excursion because of the additional cost for the lunch. The last time we paid for a meal on an excursion was horrible. That was in Bordeaux, France. I know Elsie knows what I'm talking about! However, we were pleasantly surprised how good this was!!

The barbeque on the Pool Deck tonight was fabulous. Great evening for it!

Capri tomorrow.

Karen

We did that excursion onion Rome last year and were very disappointed in it, ESP since it cost extra. For one thing, our driver got lost and we didn't eat lunch tom3 pm. For another, the first place they took us (before the catacombs) was a truck stop and shopping place where we forced to get off the bus, even if we didn't want to shop or use the facilities. I complained a lot, so maybe they have changed the tour--please comment.

We did that excursion onion Rome last year and were very disappointed in it, ESP since it cost extra. For one thing, our driver got lost and we didn't eat lunch tom3 pm. For another, the first place they took us (before the catacombs) was a truck stop and shopping place where we forced to get off the bus, even if we didn't want to shop or use the facilities. I complained a lot, so maybe they have changed the tour--please comment.

We did make the pit stop (no shopping so perhaps it's a different place but some got coffee) before the catacombs but only for 10 minutes. It was about 2:00 when we ate. Some people got a pastry or gelato in Castel Gandolfo earlier in the day. We were pleasantly surprised.

Fabulous, fabulous, posts Karen and Wayne - thank you very much for taking the time to include us all. Would love to see any photos that you take of the Mariner - inside and out. Have never been on her - (one day maybe). Enjoy the rest of your cruise you lucky ducks!!!

Txladycruiser,

I have a quick question. I read your online blog and I was wondering what was the upgrade offer that RSSC gave you guys? We are booked on the Athens-Venice cruise in July and it looks like the cruise is still pretty open, so we are wondering what the upgrade options are like with RSSC.

Fantastic pics Karen, I have attempted many photos of volcanoes ie: Vesuvius and also Etna in Sicily, I want to know why they always have clouds around them even though the rest of the sky is blue? You say your next stop is Taormina, Sicily - one of my absolute favs - enjoy! Wayne and I would get on well cause I love limoncello as well!

Taormina, Sicily blog:

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/thewrens/4/1336233507/tpod.html

Enjoying a very nice sea day today. Champagne and caviar for breakfast - I don't care for either but Wayne enjoyed them. Entertainment has been very good - some of the same shows we saw last year on the Voyager but have been spruced up. Weather has been wonderful so far!

Karen

\I have attempted many photos of volcanoes ie: Vesuvius and also Etna in Sicily, I want to know why they always have clouds around them even though the rest of the sky is blue?

Mountains tend to create clouds: warmer air from the surrounding area rises around the mountain; as the air rises, it's cooler; moisture suspended in the air forms clouds when the air cools and can no longer hold the moisture. That's why it's often better to view mountains in the morning; as the day goes along, the warm air at the surrounding lower elevations rises and the clouds form and get thicker.

-- Eric

Today our port was Santorini. The sea was like glass today. Our butler said they had been unable to tender into Santorini on the last two cruises. No problem today.

The Seven Seas function for Gold and above was at 6:00pm tonight. There are only 20 Gold and above on this cruise but everyone showed up.

Food continues to be very good along with the service. I think our only complaint is that we wish there were more sea days.

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/thewrens/4/1336406421/tpod.html

Karen

Thanks for the wonderful Santorini photos Karen--brought us right back there. Picture of your lunch brought back tasty memories from our Greek lunch there two weeks ago. Appreciate your blog posts--thank you.

Archived