NY Cruises are outrageous!

2boyzmom

The last several years, there has always been late booking opportunities for Bermuda in Sept and Oct. I have picked up several. BUT, they have to just about give away the crappy 7 day Bahamas cruises, and clearly a Caribean cruise is supeiror for me.

As a New Yorker I would love to leave from here but the prices are outrageous. The 3rd and 4th person in cabin is double compared to leaving from Florida. So we always land up leaving from warm sunny Florida since it's still cheaper!

Try living in Rural South Dakota, we have to drive 5 hours to get to an airport and once there a flight to say Miami is $600.00 pp, to fly to New York is $600.00 pp. To go on a 7 day cruise is not worth it to me at all. The time I pay $1200.00 for airlines, and drive a total each way of 20 hours and $250.00 in gas I am already up to $1450.00. Lets not forget I have to stay overnight before flying out the next morning hotel cost is $140.00, then pre cruise hotel is $140.00 multiplied x 4 for coming and going is $520.00. Now my total is $1920.00 and that does not include the cruise.

I am sorry but you don't have much reason to complain!;)

Try living in Rural South Dakota, we have to drive 5 hours to get to an airport and once there a flight to say Miami is $600.00 pp, to fly to New York is $600.00 pp. To go on a 7 day cruise is not worth it to me at all. The time I pay $1200.00 for airlines, and drive a total each way of 20 hours and $250.00 in gas I am already up to $1450.00. Lets not forget I have to stay overnight before flying out the next morning hotel cost is $140.00, then pre cruise hotel is $140.00 multiplied x 4 for coming and going is $520.00. Now my total is $1920.00 and that does not include the cruise.

:) I was glad that I dint live in New York anymore. The travails of living in South Dakota (literal translation from the original latin: "where are the people?" ) couls almost make me think of moving back to NY. Well, no it really coudn't. The hassle and expense of New York will keep me from sailing from there. Unless someone donates the trip.

:) I was glad that I dint live in New York anymore. The travails of living in South Dakota (literal translation from the original latin: "where are the people?" ) couls almost make me think of moving back to NY. Well, no it really coudn't. The hassle and expense of New York will keep me from sailing from there. Unless someone donates the trip.

can I have my taxes back please?

http://www.taxfoundation.org/files/sr139.pdf

I always like when states that get back $1.50(almost its actually 1.49) for every Federal tax dollar they pay, complain about states that get back .79 out of the same 1.00.

yes its like Yogi Berra said...no one goes there any more...its too crowded....

When we booked the Gem for Easter 2013, we noticed that the 3rd and 4th person was about the same price as the 1st and 2nd. Simple solution, we booked 2 cabins! We now have 3 cabins for 6 people.

On that note, I'm looking at airfare right now to San Juan for our upcoming Thanksgiving cruise on Carnival. I'm staring $565 r/t airfare per person, on top of the cruise price.

Sooo glad I have Gem and Breakaway booked for 2013. Can't stand to look at airfare any longer! :eek:

How much is that, exactly?

3rd and 4th person in cabin are $999 each on the Gem Easter week. I guess that's where it is adding up for me. Sure- if it was just my husband and I traveling off season I would always cruise from New York. Unfortunately the kids dictate our schedule right now and we land up cruising the most expensive weeks of the year. Looking forward to the Breakaway when the prices drop in a few years when it is not so new!

3rd and 4th person in cabin are $999 each on the Gem Easter week. I guess that's where it is adding up for me. Sure- if it was just my husband and I traveling off season I would always cruise from New York. Unfortunately the kids dictate our schedule right now and we land up cruising the most expensive weeks of the year. Looking forward to the Breakaway when the prices drop in a few years when it is not so new!

Ouch! $999 for 3rd/4th pax would defniitely give me pause. Maybe one of the other cruise lines has lower prices that week out of NYC?

I would move closer to a port... :D

Ouch! $999 for 3rd/4th pax would defniitely give me pause. Maybe one of the other cruise lines has lower prices that week out of NYC?

I landed up booking an 11 Day on the Sun in a Suite out of Miami. I basically get fantastic ports and a few extra days for the same price as traveling out of NY. My airfare is covered thanks to my credit card points. WE have been lucky with air and stay at a resoanable hotel that includes shuttle from airport and also to the port.

When we booked the Gem for Easter 2013, we noticed that the 3rd and 4th person was about the same price as the 1st and 2nd. Simple solution, we booked 2 cabins! We now have 3 cabins for 6 people.

On that note, I'm looking at airfare right now to San Juan for our upcoming Thanksgiving cruise on Carnival. I'm staring $565 r/t airfare per person, on top of the cruise price.

Sooo glad I have Gem and Breakaway booked for 2013. Can't stand to look at airfare any longer! :eek:

Is that on Continental out of Newark?

I landed up booking an 11 Day on the Sun in a Suite out of Miami. I basically get fantastic ports and a few extra days for the same price as traveling out of NY. My airfare is covered thanks to my credit card points. WE have been lucky with air and stay at a resoanable hotel that includes shuttle from airport and also to the port.

could you tell me what hotel you stay at with free shuttle?

We cruise from MIA often and can never find too many hotels in MIA with free anything.

TIA

Bill

In a NY city yellow taxi or a car service(black car/limo) by NY rules that should have cost....

By yellow cab the meter should have been:

spacer_499_15.gif

Standard City Rate (Rate Code 1)

$2.50 upon entry

$0.40 for each additional unitThe unit fare is:

• one-fifth of a mile, when the taxicab is traveling at 6 miles an hour or more; or
  • 60 seconds when not in motion or traveling at less than 6 miles per hour.
  • The taximeter shall combine fractional measures of distance and time in accruing a unit of fare. Any combination of distance or time shall be computed by the taximeter in accordance with the National Institute of Standards and Technology Handbook 44.
  • The fare shall include pre-assessment of the unit currently being accrued; the amount due may therefore include a full unit charge for a final, fractional unit.
  • Night surcharge of $.50 after 8:00 PM & before 6:00 AM
  • Peak hour Weekday Surcharge of $1.00 Monday - Friday after 4:00 PM & before 8:00 PM
  • New York State Tax Surcharge of $.50 per ride.

14 minutes times .40 = 5.60

7 blocks is 2/5ths of a mile = $.80

rounding up is .40 more

$2.50 entry and .50 surcharge = $9.80 not $40.00 plus tip

Well actually it was like $37 to $38.. don't know if its more when you have 4people or what.. but it was a rape and made us walk about 5 blocks to avoid spending all our money on the ride

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Well actually it was like $37 to $38.. don't know if its more when you have 4people or what.. but it was a rape and made us walk about 5 blocks to avoid spending all our money on the ride

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

a new york city yellow taxi is the same for 1-4 people...

it was rape ...do you have a receipt?

could you tell me what hotel you stay at with free shuttle?

We cruise from MIA often and can never find too many hotels in MIA with free anything.

TIA

Bill

Holiday Inn International Airport. Not fancy but I get it for about $119 a night. They charge "$1.00" for the shuttle to the port now which I guess is the tip :)

A while ago I paid $749 for an oceanview on the Gem for Easter week for passenger 1 and 2; for passengers 3 and 4 NCL wanted $999 each. Crazy! That's why we booked 3 cabins of 2 each!

For our Breakaway cruise for Thanksgiving 2013, I had to book now, prices are only going to go up, being a new ship. Based on the price, I could only comfortably sleep at night and put a deposit down on an inside, no way did I want to 'splurge" and get a balcony, could not justify the expense right now with 3 cruises coming up! I doubt the prices will drop.

A while ago I paid $749 for an oceanview on the Gem for Easter week for passenger 1 and 2; for passengers 3 and 4 NCL wanted $999 each. Crazy! That's why we booked 3 cabins of 2 each!

For our Breakaway cruise for Thanksgiving 2013, I had to book now, prices are only going to go up, being a new ship. Based on the price, I could only comfortably sleep at night and put a deposit down on an inside, no way did I want to 'splurge" and get a balcony, could not justify the expense right now with 3 cruises coming up! I doubt the prices will drop.

2 cabins is a smart idea! I will rememebr that and hey- if I had 3 cruises booked I'd be in an inside cabin too :)

Archived