NY Cruises are outrageous!

2boyzmom

N... I rode in traffic for about 7 blocks and 14min and it cost me almost $40. .

In a NY city yellow taxi or a car service(black car/limo) by NY rules that should have cost....

By yellow cab the meter should have been:

spacer_499_15.gif

Standard City Rate (Rate Code 1)

$2.50 upon entry

$0.40 for each additional unitThe unit fare is:

• one-fifth of a mile, when the taxicab is traveling at 6 miles an hour or more; or
  • 60 seconds when not in motion or traveling at less than 6 miles per hour.
  • The taximeter shall combine fractional measures of distance and time in accruing a unit of fare. Any combination of distance or time shall be computed by the taximeter in accordance with the National Institute of Standards and Technology Handbook 44.
  • The fare shall include pre-assessment of the unit currently being accrued; the amount due may therefore include a full unit charge for a final, fractional unit.
  • Night surcharge of $.50 after 8:00 PM & before 6:00 AM
  • Peak hour Weekday Surcharge of $1.00 Monday - Friday after 4:00 PM & before 8:00 PM
  • New York State Tax Surcharge of $.50 per ride.

14 minutes times .40 = 5.60

7 blocks is 2/5ths of a mile = $.80

rounding up is .40 more

$2.50 entry and .50 surcharge = $9.80 not $40.00 plus tip

I live in New York and cruise out NYC and i really feel it a bargain in the long run. the money you save on airfare and your luggage fees. More than make up for the cruise rates... Cruising out of NYC is hassel free and easy, by 10 am you are back home after the cruise. Booking your next cruise.

We cruise out of NYC Now, we live 15 minutes from the port, I do not believe it costs any more than flying to Florida or San Juan as we did this past January. Cost to cruise from NYC a few thousand dollars for us. The wear and tear it saves on my nerves not having to book flights, pack my liquids properly, find a hotel room, hope it does not snow, priceless!

We cruise out of NYC Now, we live 15 minutes from the port, I do not believe it costs any more than flying to Florida or San Juan as we did this past January. Cost to cruise from NYC a few thousand dollars for us. The wear and tear it saves on my nerves not having to book flights, pack my liquids properly, find a hotel room, hope it does not snow, priceless!

I agree!--I do NOT like to fly and love being at the pier/home in less than 1/2hour---I would keep doing it every year..(.but my DH is getting bored with itinerary choices.) ...I cruise to be pampered and to do nothing...:D

I live in New York and cruise out NYC and i really feel it a bargain in the long run. the money you save on airfare and your luggage fees. More than make up for the cruise rates... Cruising out of NYC is hassel free and easy, by 10 am you are back home after the cruise. Booking your next cruise.

We live on Long Island and only sail out of New York. We take a 10 or more days round trip cruise out of New York every winter, no more flying for us. In January we will be on a 12 day cruise on the Jewel. I will be in the pool during the second sea day. No worry about a snowstorm canceling my flight. The ship will sail in any kind of weather and I much prefer hanging my parka in my cabin closet than trying to stuff it into an overhead bin. We will always be grateful to NCL for being the first cruise line to sail year round out of New York. There are numerous cruises available from Manhattan, Brooklyn and Bayonne, NJ. Most people fly to Florida a day early so they don't miss their cruise. So you can add the cost of transfers, motel and meals before you finally board the ship. If your day early winter flight is cancelled for a snowstorm, there is no guarantee you will get a flight the following day as they are all full. Anyone who flies to Florida the same day they sail is playing cruise roulette.

ITA that driving to port, even an expensive port, is worthwhile when you have more than two people in your party. For our last cruise, I spent $2700 on the cruise and another $2600 flying us there. So to do a 9 day our of NY for $5000 (aft mini for 2 adults and two children) is really no different to us. Yes we will have port parking costs, but we have to pay to park at the airport too. Plus we have more control and flexibility on getting to/from port when driving versus flying.

As a New Yorker I would love to leave from here but the prices are outrageous. The 3rd and 4th person in cabin is double compared to leaving from Florida. So we always land up leaving from warm sunny Florida since it's still cheaper!

For us, I'd rather pay a little more and leave from NYC. We walk up to the NJ Transit train station from our house, rolling our luggage behind us, and hop the train to Penn station, then grab a cab to the pier. The way home is even easier, no airports to stress us out after the cruise.

The convenience of not even having to think about our car, getting to and through the airport, and/or the view of NY from the ship is worth the extra.

The highlight of any cruise from NY is sailing past Lady Liberty....Priceless :)

Ah yes--with the music... I tear up every time..

(will probably even cry openly this time..with DSIL now deployed..)

I agree!--I do NOT like to fly and love being at the pier/home in less than 1/2hour---I would keep doing it every year..(.but my DH is getting bored with itinerary choices.) ...I cruise to be pampered and to do nothing...:D

Agreed! Please post when you get home we are on the Gem June 2, we have only been on the Jewel.

I too don't think the prices are really that bad. They may be cheaper to sail from FL but I don't think they are bad. I had a vacation budget in my head when I went on to book the breakaway for a holiday week and I still came in less than I expected to pay, plus I can't beat leaving my house 30 minutes before I want to be there or being home 30 minutes after I get off the ship. We have never sailed out of NYC but I am thinking we are going to LOVE it and I'm already thinking about another one. :D

We are flying to San Juan this Thanksgiving and I'm already pulling my hair out looking at $600 r/t airfare per person, plus baggage fees, taxis, overnight hotel.

I looked around the internet and found a FANTASTIC price on the Gem out of NYC for Easter 2013. I then went further into the year and found great, not cheap, but a fantastic early deal on the Breakaway for Thanksgiving 2013, no airfare needed, but when you vacation during holiday breaks, any way to stay away from buying airfare is a win-win!!

The highlight of any cruise from NY is sailing past Lady Liberty....Priceless :)

Absolutely agree!! :D

I am one of those who are willing to pay the airfare, cab fare, hotel room, etc for the experience of sailing out of NYC! ;)

Part of that is possibly because I grew up just the other side of the GW bridge and spent summers as a child on a cabin cruiser, cruising the Hudson River & LI Sound. :)

I agree- NY cruises cannot get you to the southern carribean. I have no desire to cruise to the Bahamas or Florida. I love Bermuda and will most likely do that in a few years if the prices are reasonable

I began reading this thread and decided to comment on this post:

Bermuda is a popular destination, especially with the NY cruisers. You spend 3 full days on BDA. As for pricing (I will be repeating others...)

- port taxes are high in both NYC and BDA (as my PCC has told me over and over, when i keep saying "i wish the BDA cruises could come down just a bit")

- BDA cruises do have runs before and after summer that are cheaper compared to middle of the summer season.

- NCL will lose it's passengers for 3 full days. Many book excursions via NCL, but many others will do things on their own (thus NCL won't be getting their share.)

- Many dine and have drinks in the local places (e.g. Swizzle Inn)

- It doesn't take all that much time to cruise to BDA. You don't need 7 days. But those sea days are valuable revenue generators for NCL.

I prefer to sail from NY as living in the area makes it easy to get to the port in under an hour. I would like to try some ships in the Carib but when I priced out this summer's trip the cost was similar. Chose NY because did not want to deal with hassle of flying.

And the reason? FREESTYLE BABY!

For those of us that live within easy travel distance to NY ports, and at the same time have the flexibility to book on short notice, you can get great last minute 'for new bookings only' deals. As low as $299. per person for a 7 day.....

As for higher fares due to extra fuel burned to/from Bahama's and Carbbean....I don't know about that....There is less port fees, and there is the opportunity for more on board revenue while passengers are 'stuck' on board, as compensation....

And for those that point to higher fares due to less competition.....well several different lines have tried the all winter market in NY ports, but only NCL seems to have succeeded in what they brought back to NY, with two ships all winter. RCI does with one. HAL, Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, have tried, and then pulled out. Now Carnival is going to give it a shot...

Not trying to sound offensive here. But come on, you live in NY. You guys ride in taxis for 43blocks in traffic. I rode in traffic for about 7 blocks and 14min and it cost me almost $40. The money you will save by not having to go anywhere in a taxi will pay for the WHOLE cruise. Costs more for a place to live up there in the projects than down here in the french quarter. Where you can get a 1bedroom 1/2 bath and the shower is outside in the courtyard.

Take the subway next time. No traffic underground (most of the time). :D

i wish there was a subway that next to the terminal. Its a trip from columbus circle or 50 st to the terminal

Oh poor baby! :D

I dunno who you cruise with, but maybe we will swing by and pick you up next time? :D We can take 2 more in our Tahoe.

Leaving from NY is convenient for us living in PA. We just take the Amtrak, then a short taxi ride and we are at the port. To me, that beats the hastle and expense of flying to the port anytime. We have left from Philadelphia and Baltimore, when they were available, and enjoyed leaving from those ports as well. We usually book about a year out and take advantage of the "EBR" Early Booking Rates. Then we watch the pricing and promos on NCL's website until final payment. We usually make out well using this approach and really don't see a significant price increase from leaving out of NY.

I agree- NY cruises cannot get you to the southern carribean. I have no desire to cruise to the Bahamas or Florida. I love Bermuda and will most likely do that in a few years if the prices are reasonable

There are cruises from NYC to the Caribbean including the southern Caribbean. I sailed HAL in January of 07 on an 11 night southern Caribbean cruise. It was wonderful. Infact, NCL Jewel will be doing a 12 night southern Caribbean cruise in January and part of Feb. 2013. They are longer sailings because of the distance but if one has the time they are a great and affordable option. Those sailings start at $899 plus taxes.

I love leaving from NYC. Living in the area it takes me 25 minutes to get to pier and the vacation begins. Hassle free (as many have mentioned). You don't have to deal with TSA, getting to airport 2 hours before, transferring to ship from the airport. All I do is park the car and check in! Also I love an NYC sailaway especially leaving from the Manhattan piers. Nothing beats it IMO! Keep in mind you are limited to what you can see leaving from NY so I do cruise from other places but now and then I always return to a cruise from NYC. I may do the NCL Jewel in Feburary of 2013 for a quick break!

Keep in mind NYC prices are high especially in the summer because of seasonality. More people can cruise at that time therefore rates are higher. As another poster mentioned supply and demand governs prices.

Does the $200 a person round trip quote include baggage fees?

That's where flying gets too crazy. 2 checked bags a person can be about the price of an extra fare. Some airlines even charge for carry on.

don't forget to add the $245 you pay to park in NY to the ledger sheet.

That can offset the baggage fees if you don't book on Southwest or JetBlue.

Bill

I ended up canceling my 4 day Sky cruise to go on the Jewel in October. Even with the room being $400 more and the parking being outrageous, it still ended up being cheaper than the Sky cruise. Living in Ohio, I can leave at midnight and be at the pier by 10am. Much cheaper than driving to Miami or flying.

Archived