NY Cruises are outrageous!

2boyzmom

As a New Yorker I would love to leave from here but the prices are outrageous. The 3rd and 4th person in cabin is double compared to leaving from Florida. So we always land up leaving from warm sunny Florida since it's still cheaper!

As a New Yorker I would love to leave from here but the prices are outrageous. The 3rd and 4th person in cabin is double compared to leaving from Florida. So we always land up leaving from warm sunny Florida since it's still cheaper!

How much does airfare add to the equation as compared to sailing out of New York with having to fly to Miami, especially with 3 or 4 passengers?

John

NYC departures are always more expensive:mad: It is what the market "will bear"...the metro area is full of people who want to cruise but do not want to fly.. and since the ships fully book all the time...there is no reason to lower rates :(

Supply and demand will always govern pricing. NY also has high port charges, which is why some lines turn their ships around in less than half a day.

I'm fortunate to live in NYC. Being able to check in locally and not have to deal with airports and the TSA is worth the price difference to me.

If you book early, and do not cruise during prime time, you can find some good prices out of NYC. Most of my cruises have been from NYC. Just have to watch the deals. If you work with a good travel agent, they can let you know when NCL is having a discount. As long as you are flexible on sailing dates. :rolleyes:

How much does airfare add to the equation as compared to sailing out of New York with having to fly to Miami, especially with 3 or 4 passengers?

John

It still comes in cheaper. I book my air early and have been lucky getting NY Miami flights for a little over $200 round trip.

I feel the same way about leaving from NY, we love it, but much more expensive, and the choices are not as plenty as when we leave from Florida, but that's a choice we have to make!

Great islands from Florida or easy access to NY!!!!!:o

I agree- NY cruises cannot get you to the southern carribean. I have no desire to cruise to the Bahamas or Florida. I love Bermuda and will most likely do that in a few years if the prices are reasonable

It still comes in cheaper. I book my air early and have been lucky getting NY Miami flights for a little over $200 round trip.

Does the $200 a person round trip quote include baggage fees?

That's where flying gets too crazy. 2 checked bags a person can be about the price of an extra fare. Some airlines even charge for carry on.

John

And just the general hassle of flying - delayed flights, lost luggage, etc. To avoid some of those hassles, you need to fly in a day early, so now you've incurred a hotel charge also.

Yes, it costs more to cruise from NYC, but we are 40 minutes from door to NYC pier (about 60 minutes from the NJ pier), so I can't complain!

If you book early, and do not cruise during prime time, you can find some good prices out of NYC. Most of my cruises have been from NYC. Just have to watch the deals. If you work with a good travel agent, they can let you know when NCL is having a discount. As long as you are flexible on sailing dates. :rolleyes:

I just looked at prices for our potential April 2014 cruise. NCL's prices out of NYC are $2100 more than their competitor sailing out of Baltimore. Our cruise in October we had a lot of flexibility and NCL was still $400 more.

To advoid the hassel & some of the airfares to FL to me it is worth it to leave out of NYC. I booked the Jewel this past Feb for 3 ph aft facing cabin for under 3,000.00. When priced airfare & cruises to FL it was untouchable for that week. I have booked another leaving NCL out of NYC for the fall NE/Canada they are always more expensive whatever line you cruise. You have to shop around I did & have saved money.

Dont forget that for next year, and for the new few years prices will always be a very high because of the new ship effect. NCL Breakaway will homeport in nyc, and that is a new ship that will be released next year

Overall, it may be cheaper to wait a few years for the new ships to loose their high end wow factor

Does the $200 a person round trip quote include baggage fees?

That's where flying gets too crazy. 2 checked bags a person can be about the price of an extra fare. Some airlines even charge for carry on.

We have one carry on each and check one bag. It's still worth it...

Funny, I have seen some great deals put of the NYC area. I live in the Midwest, but flights to NYC are often cheap, so once in a while I cruise from there. I cruise off peak, maybe that is the difference. I got a fabulous deal on a suite once. I have a RCL cruise booked from NJ...great deal. maybe prices are higher when schools are out.

Dont forget that for next year, and for the new few years prices will always be a very high because of the new ship effect. NCL Breakaway will homeport in nyc, and that is a new ship that will be released next year

Overall, it may be cheaper to wait a few years for the new ships to loose their high end wow factor

That's what we are hoping for :) and yes- holiday weeks shoot the prices up drastically.

An example is 7 day Pearl mini suite Presidents week out of Florida for mid ship mini suite for four= $3100

7 day Jewel out of NYC Presidents week for same cabin = $4660

I guess it comes out fairly even if you factor in air, hotel, etc. Unfortunately for 7 days out of NY you will have 2 days of guaranteed cold weather (one each way) and getting to the Bahamas which may not be too warm in February.

We have cruised from NY and Florida numerous times. Almost always it has been cheaper for us to cruise from NY. Just the hassle of flying...Our balcony booked on the Breakaway from NY cost us 849pp. Our Oasis cruise cost was 849pp. Both these ships, we don't really care where we are going. Florida, 232. on JB from Boston. Gas to Boston, park, hotel in FLL, dinner, tips, taxi. It costs us 160.00 bus to NY total.

You do the math. :)

1,000% agree.

We cruise in May and December, sometimes September [not anymore, as we got caught in Hurricane last year and the ship was diverted].

Prices are low if you book well in advance, at least a year out. then watch for discounts, special pricing, etc.

For example: our out of NYC cruises:

our SE suite this May, paid $1,199pp plus $500 OBC. This cabin is now $1,799 and sold out. All suites but the garden villa are gone.

also have an SF suite in December, paid $1,349pp, plus $450 OBC. This cabin just jumped to $1,699, and I won't be surprised if it ends somewhere in $1,800s.

I keep in constant touch with my PCC and pay for price watch on another site. Well worth it.

For those of us that live within easy travel distance to NY ports, and at the same time have the flexibility to book on short notice, you can get great last minute 'for new bookings only' deals. As low as $299. per person for a 7 day.....

As for higher fares due to extra fuel burned to/from Bahama's and Carbbean....I don't know about that....There is less port fees, and there is the opportunity for more on board revenue while passengers are 'stuck' on board, as compensation....

And for those that point to higher fares due to less competition.....well several different lines have tried the all winter market in NY ports, but only NCL seems to have succeeded in what they brought back to NY, with two ships all winter. RCI does with one. HAL, Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, have tried, and then pulled out. Now Carnival is going to give it a shot...

We have cruised from NYC 3 times-2 to Florida and once to Bermuda. Usually got the inside cabin since the price was low and not much to see out the window. No cruise is inexpensive if you book the suites and bigger rooms. Since we live near NY there is no hassle for flying or expense. On these trips we just wanted to be pampered and fed and away from the northeast winter. We did not really care where the ship went.

I have cruised 20 times out of NY in the last 10 years. The least I have paid for an outside room(non balcony) for a week was $421pp. all inclusive.

I have paid as little as $600 pp for a balcony for a week.

I have been in suites, have had kids travel free paid as little as $69 pp for two for a one day(with the 3rd and fourth being fees only -$39pp) but lately its been much more expensive...even though supply is up demand is extremely high....

Phily was much cheaper as is Baltimore...and so are their hotels and parking...

Hey its the Big Apple baby with Big Apple prices and a heck of a lot of tourists....been to a play lately?

Not trying to sound offensive here. But come on, you live in NY. You guys ride in taxis for 43blocks in traffic. I rode in traffic for about 7 blocks and 14min and it cost me almost $40. The money you will save by not having to go anywhere in a taxi will pay for the WHOLE cruise. Costs more for a place to live up there in the projects than down here in the french quarter. Where you can get a 1bedroom 1/2 bath and the shower is outside in the courtyard.

Hey its the Big Apple baby with Big Apple prices and a heck of a lot of tourists....been to a play lately?

One things i hate that most people already do is all of the stupid fees and surcharges with tickets. Most plays in the city use ticketmaster for the ticket processing which means you gotta pay the regular ticketmaster fee/surcharge PLUS whatever the venue/facility charges. I noticed for some plays, the amount of fees and surcharges that you have pay is double then the regular ticket price...Urgh

Archived