Carnival bashers

msstarr22

Wow! I am so tired of the Carnival Cruise Bashers! I was behind on reading JH's blog and as usual I see the link slamming this cruise line and commending the way cruise critic groups are treated on other cruise lines. Like Coffee and Cookies are such a big deal! Well when I book Carnival I do it because it is a great line that is affordable. I don't expect extras hand delivered by the Captain of the ship because "DUH" I want him to sail it. I love to have fun and also to relax. What is the purpose of all of this? I cannot say how anger it makes me. I know this will open the doors for a lot of hate vibes but I feel as though if you want tons of freebies, it sounds like greed has totally taken over everywhere. I like getting a gift as much as the next person but I would happily sail Carnival and not expect anything more than the great time I have already paid for. And I will go home knowing that I have more in my bank because the cruise was what I could afford!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. There are people I know who will not consider RCL or Princess because they will only cruise on Carnival .. is this so different because others prefer other lines??

If you are going to react every time someone prefers another line you will be worn out after a while. Enjoy what you enjoy and let others do what they want and dont try and control them.

Carnival is my cruise line. I have not considered cruising another line but Carnival. It has the casual side that I prefer. It also has the formal side when I want it at the MDR and the steak house.

The quality of the cabins, food, cleanliness, service and entertainment had always been great.

The size of the ships are just right. Not too small/not too big.

The selection of ports are good. A nice variety.

I am from New York and it is great that Carnival has a nice selection of ports/schedules from NYC. I'll be traveling on a fall Canada/New England itinerary this fall. These will be new ports for me.

Overall I feel at home on Carnival.

The bashing goes in every direction... every line has people bashing it for inane reasons, especially the biggest / most popular (Carnival & RC).

Ignore the crazies and go with the flow :cool:

Wow! I am so tired of the Carnival Cruise Bashers! I was behind on reading JH's blog and as usual I see the link slamming this cruise line and commending the way cruise critic groups are treated on other cruise lines. Like Coffee and Cookies are such a big deal! Well when I book Carnival I do it because it is a great line that is affordable. I don't expect extras hand delivered by the Captain of the ship because "DUH" I want him to sail it. I love to have fun and also to relax. What is the purpose of all of this? I cannot say how anger it makes me. I know this will open the doors for a lot of hate vibes but I feel as though if you want tons of freebies, it sounds like greed has totally taken over everywhere. I like getting a gift as much as the next person but I would happily sail Carnival and not expect anything more than the great time I have already paid for. And I will go home knowing that I have more in my bank because the cruise was what I could afford!

@msstarr22. They are not worth getting angry about, just laughing over, many just want their posting ribbons and to be seen (host wannabes maybe). We have cruised the "Big 3" here in the US and generally stick with Carnival, but we have sailed the others. We like the value, the staff, the ships/cabins, and the mix of people.

We do not care if they shop at Wal-Mart, Brooks Brothers, Target, or Tiffany's, it makes no difference to us. We always try to sit at an 8 or 10 top in the MDR because we choose to meet people; families, retirees, singles, US, foreign; we know we'll learn something new regardless.

While we dress to the nines for "elegant" nights, that's what we enjoy when cruising (not having to fly to cruise helps), but it makes no difference what the others are dressed in. On the lido, I don't care if someone is wearing a speedo, a thong, a one-piece from the 30s, a bathrobe, or barechested; they are on their vacation, let 'em enjoy it anyway they choose.

Folks can be mean spirited here (and the other boards) and unfortunately the overall attitude has changed over the years, and not for the better. There is still good information to be found and some decent folks, but some days you need a strong DoD, Frozen Concotion, or filter to get through the crap...

B&B

Been a member for a while. I pay more attention before and after a cruise. Don't post much.

Level of hostility is impressive all around.

Amazing the number of threads that get deleted.

Good info to be had, though.

It makes no difference which line you choose - you will find bashers all around! Basically, they are the loudest most prolific posters so it just makes it seem like there are more of them than the rest of us!!

Bottom line is, I am quite sure we have way more fun on our cruises than the bashers do, regardless of which line or ship we choose!

I have no problem with someone voicing their discontent with anything.

I have more of a issue with the "Smear the Poster" mentality that some of the Cheerleaders have when someone dare post anything negative about any of the lines. I.E. look at the RCI post about not being allowed back on board due to tabacco.

I also have issue with the whole "I'm Special" people. And we all know who they are..;)

I can't bash Carnival because I've never sailed with them. However, they have done well enough to own the lion's share of the cruise industry. I'd like to try them someday, even though I am a Celebrity / Cunard guy (the latter being owned by Carnival).

Carnival is "budget / mass market", and they do that well. They also own other lines that folks might "upgrade" to if they so desire. They are like General Motors. You start off with a Chevy (Carnival) and work your way up to a Cadillac (Cunard) and perhaps a Rolls Royce (Seabourn).

Many will be happy with their Chevy forever, while others will want to upgrade, and in their later years be happy with a Cadillac.

Bob Dickinson is a genius. He, more than Micky Arison put Carnival on the map.

People just like to complain no matter what the subject. It wouldn't matter what cruise line it is. I don't let it bother me as we are all entitled to our opinions. All cruise lines have pros and cons depending on what one is looking for. Cruising is the best type of vacation to take. I think that is why people are so passionate about it. It is addictive! But vacations are to relax and have fun. And as my time off is precious, I enjoy every second. But it is puzzling why people complain about the smallest (in my opinion) things.

Thank you for the post and you are all right! I guess a bummer morning here in Ohio and I just feel it all. I have never had a bad cruise and I even cruised at the end of a hurricane on the now non-existent Big Red Boat! I try to be very upbeat! I enjoy my cruises and don't like negativity. It saddens me when people let the bad moments take over everything that is important, a very memorable time with family and friends.

Are people not allowed to voice their opinions and thoughts? Just because you do not agree with their thoughts and opinions does not make them any less valid.

You say you have negativity and yet here you are being negative of others and wanting squash their freedoms because you do not agree with them.

Best to remove the plank from your eye before you speak to another about the speck in theirs.

I also have issue with the whole "I'm Special" people. And we all know who they are..;)

You mean they all know who they are:p

I've only sailed Carnival & Princess. Found them both to be a great value and always enjoy myself. It is a little annoying to see people treating the crew badly, they work so hard and so many hours. Some people just don't get it. Yes we are on vacation and want to be waited on but they don't have to kiss our butts. Anyway, I'm going to enjoy my next cruise no matter what happens...

Thank you for the post and you are all right! I guess a bummer morning here in Ohio and I just feel it all. I have never had a bad cruise and I even cruised at the end of a hurricane on the now non-existent Big Red Boat! I try to be very upbeat! I enjoy my cruises and don't like negativity. It saddens me when people let the bad moments take over everything that is important, a very memorable time with family and friends.

Yes, It is miserable here in Ohio. I am in Akron and after several days, even weeks of beautiful weather, i finally get my bike ready to hit the road, and we are in the 40's with rain, maybe even, (dare i say) Snow.. :eek:

Yes, It is miserable here in Ohio. I am in Akron and after several days, even weeks of beautiful weather, i finally get my bike ready to hit the road, and we are in the 40's with rain, maybe even, (dare i say) Snow.. :eek:

I feel your pain

To me they come really close to trying and suppressing freedom of speech.:mad:

I believe in the freedom of speech but negativity is counter-productive. My original thought is why some people want more free stuff, maybe if you would have read what I wrote you would have seen that. I am not a negative person! I just love Carnival and enjoy the cruises I am on. It is a shame to say you need all the extras,added to what is already free, or it is a bad cruise. Just saying!

I believe in the freedom of speech but negativity is counter-productive. My original thought is why some people want more free stuff, maybe if you would have read what I wrote you would have seen that. I am not a negative person! I just love Carnival and enjoy the cruises I am on. It is a shame to say you need all the extras,added to what is already free, or it is a bad cruise. Just saying!

so, you're bashing carnival for giving out free stuff? Or just the people demanding it?

I have no problem with someone voicing their discontent with anything.

I have more of a issue with the "Smear the Poster" mentality that some of the Cheerleaders have when someone dare post anything negative about any of the lines. I.E. look at the RCI post about not being allowed back on board due to tabacco.

It is much easier to just have issue with the Internet in general. Just the nature of the beast be it Cruise Critic--or any of the thousands of popular forums out there. All exhibit the same behavior--best to just ignore posts and posters you don't care for. :)

Bob Dickinson is a genius. He, more than Micky Arison put Carnival on the map.

Carnival has changed since Uncle Bob retired. He was indeed a genius at developing a

product and making people want it.

I sail by itinerary and then price. I love Princess, enjoy Cunard, and haven't had a bad

RCCL or Carnival cruise.

I think we can add cruise lines to the difficult topics like religion and politics. People

are loyal to their true love, and resent anyone saying they're not perfect.

Just relax.....sometimes I read the bashing threads for entertainment, turn the page and

go on. If they bother you, don't read them......simple as that.

@msstarr22. They are not worth getting angry about, just laughing over, many just want their posting ribbons and to be seen (host wannabes maybe). We have cruised the "Big 3" here in the US and generally stick with Carnival, but we have sailed the others. We like the value, the staff, the ships/cabins, and the mix of people.

We do not care if they shop at Wal-Mart, Brooks Brothers, Target, or Tiffany's, it makes no difference to us. We always try to sit at an 8 or 10 top in the MDR because we choose to meet people; families, retirees, singles, US, foreign; we know we'll learn something new regardless.

While we dress to the nines for "elegant" nights, that's what we enjoy when cruising (not having to fly to cruise helps), but it makes no difference what the others are dressed in. On the lido, I don't care if someone is wearing a speedo, a thong, a one-piece from the 30s, a bathrobe, or barechested; they are on their vacation, let 'em enjoy it anyway they choose.

Folks can be mean spirited here (and the other boards) and unfortunately the overall attitude has changed over the years, and not for the better. There is still good information to be found and some decent folks, but some days you need a strong DoD, Frozen Concotion, or filter to get through the crap...

B&B

Very well said!

I've been on three cruises - Carnival Elation in 2000, Princess Sapphire in 2010, and Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam in 2011. I have two cruises lined up this year - Holland America to Alaska and Carnival to Mexico. Here are my thoughts FWIW:

Carnival - best cabin, best waiters, the most fun, the most beautiful atrium, best value for the money, and food as good as any other line.

Princess - smallest showers in the industry, decent shows, decent food, very good/excellent waiters.

HAL - beautiful ship, smallish cabin, average wait staff, decent food, below average atrium, fantastic shows, WAY older demographic, not much fun on lido deck (borderline boring), very loyal, vocal, cheerleading fans.

Am very much looking forward to my Carnival cruise this summer.

Then your anger is misplaced. You should direct your ire at John Heald's sycophants. They are the ones that are angry and bitter and whine and cry for free stuff from him.

Archived