Question on Baked Goods?

rrshinn

The wife, daughter & a friend just completed a cruise on the Ecstasy and had a great time. Weather and all was excellent. One fax paux(sp) during dining the last night, they were given a basket of bread and discovered that one of the rolls had a gob of gum attached to it. What's Carnival's practice on distributing bread? Reuse or not? Thanks.

Wow! Things happen, but that is pretty unacceptable. I'm curious too, to know if they showed someone & what they said.

If they are reusing bread, no one is ever going to say so, but I think it is highly unlikely. That would make the top 10 list as a way to spread gastrointestinal illnesses.

eewie....to sideline a bit...it does happen. While in Santa Barbara, our relatives live here, we were at the bar of a restaurant. A waitress came behind the counter area. Dumped a basket of leftover bread in a steel bin. While we were there waiting for our table, another waiter came over, picked up the steel lid and fished out bread (bare hands) and put it in a basket!! YUK!

On all the cruises we have been on, they have always brought the bread in a basket and you pick one and they put it on your plate, never leaving the basket. We have always done set time dinning and always 5-8 day cruises. A few weeks ago, we did a short 3-day and had anytime dinning. We had a table for two and they brought the bread basket and left it on the table. It had 8-10 pieces of bread in it and I thought at the time that was strange. The table next to us (also a two top, about 4 inches away) also got a basket with 8-10 pieces. We told the waiter to keep the bread the next two nights. I just thought to myself that was alot of bread to waste....so, maybe they did not throw it out.....not good.

Our waiter came around with the bread-basket at the beginning of each dinner service and always made a second pass part-way through dinner. All was served with tongs. It is most unfortunate if anyone was offered any bread that had been handled by other PAX. BTW, the bread/rolls are excellent.

Our waiter came around with the bread-basket at the beginning of each dinner service and always made a second pass part-way through dinner. All was served with tongs. It is most unfortunate if anyone was offered any bread that had been handled by other PAX. BTW, the bread/rolls are excellent.

Just a thought... (not a pleasant thought) but...maybe...maybe it was NOT another passenger...maybe it was a kitchen worker or server who was chewing gum and it fell into the basket??

Yuck

Ok, so this thread was posted 24 hours ago and has a total of 9 responses. I personally didn't click it until now because the title didn't draw me in. Now all I have to say is EWWWWWWWWWWWW.

I'm guessing if this thread was titled something like, "Chewed Gum Found In Bread Basket" it would have had 5 pages of responses from horrified cruisers by now lol.

Thanks all. I think they reuse the bread. When my wife questioned the waiter, he said it was a mixup but I find it suspicious.

I also think that it could have come from a staff member who was chewing gum in the kitchen (a huge no no, for just this reason).

You are right though, it could be that a few servers practice this NASTY habit of recycling bread. Could be that they are too lazy to go get more, could be that they just hate waste, coming from a poor country that is understandable. BUT I assure you that the exec chef or the cruise line themselves ARE NOT advocating this practice, they have to much at risk if there is an outbreak.

BTW, MANY land side restaurants do it, gross.

• 2 years later...

Just back from the Dream out of New Orleans. We enjoyed each night in the MDR and always got the bread, at least until the 4th night. Opened up the bread and there was a piece already sliced and buttered. Showed the server and he looked horrified.

Really it just confirmed my suspicions about the way they reuse the bread, but it made me look at how others were treating my possible next meal.

At breakfast the person at the table next to us picked up several pieces of bread, sniffing some, and putting the ones that apparently smelled good on her plate and the other back in the basket. Yikes.

Hmm...I wonder about this as well. At dinner, they only put 4-6 pieces on our table and my DH really likes the bread so we eat all/most of it. Never found anything odd. However, at the Sea Day brunch, we once got a basket with 12 pieces in it, for two people! We left like 8 on the table - that seems very wasteful, but obviously I don't want them reused...I don't really understand the practice. Although, maybe it is cheaper to throw away some bread than it is to pay some poor soul to walk around and hand it out.

A few years ago, on the Liberty, I discovered that the cloth napkin I was using at breakfast that had already been used. :eek: I opened it up & it was full of crumbs. I brought it over to the Maitre-d' station where they actually ADMITTED that yeah, they were having issues with the laundry, and had run out of clean napkins.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

Chewing gum on a dinner roll. Now that's a new one. Gross.

We saw a strange glob of something on the breakfast pastry basket. Don't know what it was. Did not eat the rolls. Yuk. I also saw a server in the buffet handle food without gloves.

Edited by dorisis

I don't know about y'all, but I do not like the bread basket.

For one I try to avoid the bread ad don't want it sitting right in front of me.

And for another I thought it was wasteful because I am not going to eat the basket of bread.

And now this, no thanks.

I would rather they keep a few more people on the watistaff and come by to serve the bread.

Then I can say no and the stuff is gone.

When I cruised on Dream last year they gave out individual pieces of bread with tongs. No way it could be re-used as the basket never went to the table. It always tasted fresh so it would have to be re-used from the same meal. I can easily tell if bread is day old.

eewie....to sideline a bit...it does happen. While in Santa Barbara, our relatives live here, we were at the bar of a restaurant. A waitress came behind the counter area. Dumped a basket of leftover bread in a steel bin. While we were there waiting for our table, another waiter came over, picked up the steel lid and fished out bread (bare hands) and put it in a basket!! YUK!

would have been the last time for me at this restaurant.

While I was in college (30 something years ago), I waited tables at a family owned Italian restaurant. We served salads family stile – A large bowl of lettuce topped with 4 small piles of veggies – peppers, cukes, cherry tomatoes & shredded carrots. This came with tongs and individual salad bowls for customers to serve themselves. Upon clearing the table, anything left in the large bowl was broken down to be re-served.

This restaurant also served baskets of individual-sized loaves of bread. Any bread that was left in the basket un-broken was re-served, and here is the worst part, any “broken” bread left in the basket was collected in a large bin to be used for breadcrumbs, croutons, stuffing etc.

To this day, I still don’t eat anything served “family style”, and very rarely will I eat bread out of a communal basket.