HAL Security

SAC60

Don't sell HAL Security short. I also notice the Security in the Ports I have been in to be quite strict. Usually you have to show a picture ID and identity that will prove you belong on the ship.

We always take a photo ID. The only thing they ever want to see is the key card.

I would have imagined that the cruise lines, including HAL, had great security.

Then I read where an intoxicated gentleman was able to enter a crew only restricted area on a HAL ship and was able to effect a lowering of the anchor.

What surprised me was that the passenger was able to enter the restricted area with apparently no problem whatsoever, and in his drunken state, was able to get the anchor lower seemingly without any issues.

I would have thought that security would have been better- and that there would have been some kind of two step fail safe process to prevent a random dropping of the anchor.

It makes me wonder want kind of access someone who wanted to do harm and had some knowledge could do on board a cruise ship-any ship including a HAL ship.

Not the greatest example of security from my perspective.

We always take a photo ID. The only thing they ever want to see is the key card.

All HAL requires on the gangway is (usually) your ship's ID.

That is because port security has already cleared you to even proceed to the ship. You have shown your ship's ID and government issued photo ID to the port security or you would not have gotten to the gangway to board.

Then I read where an intoxicated gentleman was able to enter a crew only restricted area on a HAL ship and was able to effect a lowering of the anchor.

What surprised me was that the passenger was able to enter the restricted area with apparently no problem whatsoever, and in his drunken state, was able to get the anchor lower seemingly without any issues.

I remember that incident, but not what sentence he got when arrested and tried. Anybody remember?

I would have thought that security would have been better- and that there would have been some kind of two step fail safe process to prevent a random dropping of the anchor.

It makes me wonder want kind of access someone who wanted to do harm and had some knowledge could do on board a cruise ship-any ship including a HAL ship.

Isn't that the truth! In order for me to get to my desk at work, I have to swipe my access card 4 times: 1) enter the parking garage, 2) call the elevator, 3) swipe again in the elevator to send it to my floor, and 4) open the door from the elevator lobby to the office. I could get carpel tunnel before even firing up my computer. :D And I don't work in a high-security business...far from it...we do healthcare contracts.

Iancal, I share your concern. But my guess is no one will ever again breach that secure area. Perhaps passengers are also more aware that drinking to excess on a ship is a really stupid idea. ;) Regards, Salacia

All HAL requires on the gangway is (usually) your ship's ID.

That is because port security has already cleared you to even proceed to the ship. You have shown your ship's ID and government issued photo ID to the port security or you would not have gotten to the gangway to board.

In all our cruises only a very few ports actually wanted to see the photo id.

In the majority all that the port authority needed to see was a very brief flash of your keycard!

Maybe that will change with this threat.

In the majority all that the port authority needed to see was a very brief flash of your keycard!

Our experience is the opposite.

EVERY port we have been in since 9-11, always require a govenment issued photo ID (drivers license) and ship's ID card to let you pass. Some of them read them very carefully while others do not.

When you join the cruise your photo is taken at check-in. Every time you come on board... or leaving the ship... your key card is scanned and your photo shows up on the screen.

But who is to say that aa terrorist is not legitimately booked on board as a passenger? Most bookings are made month in advance. There should be a security team in Seattle that makes a simple background check and any booking made within a few short days of the sailing should be considered suspect and the passengers subjected to additional screening.

ALL baggage should be screened.

Obtaining ID is not an issue for those who want it-whether it be credit cards, DL's, or passports.

There is so much false ID floating out there that requesting it really only means the picture on the ID can be matched to a face. Nothing more. That is essentially all the HAL asks to board-other than paying your fare and having a credit card for OBC.

The real question in my mind is how good is on board security? How easy is it for unauthorized people to gain access to key areas of the ship?

When you join the cruise your photo is taken at check-in. Every time you come on board... or leaving the ship... your key card is scanned and your photo shows up on the screen.

But who is to say that aa terrorist is not legitimately booked on board as a passenger? Most bookings are made month in advance. There should be a security team in Seattle that makes a simple background check and any booking made within a few short days of the sailing should be considered suspect and the passengers subjected to additional screening.

ALL baggage should be screened.

Is it possible that sort of check is made when the ships submit their manifest to CBP prior to sailing? Perhaps those with bookings made within a certain number of days/weeks, are indicated to CBP for possible extra checking?

Good idea about extra screen at boarding for someone who booked last minute except for maybe someone who has sailed with the company a great many times in the past.

When we were in port at Casablanca a couple of years ago, as we boarded the ship following a long day of touring, the ship's security checked our passports against a ship's register, checked (scanned) our Ship's keycard and scrutinized the photo there with the photo on our passport and our faces in front of them, and they went through all bags. They also wanded us for metal, and frisked those whose metal couldn't be placed on a table. This was all in a line outside the ship before boarding.

When we were in port at Casablanca a couple of years ago, as we boarded the ship following a long day of touring, the ship's security checked our passports against a ship's register, checked (scanned) our Ship's keycard and scrutinized the photo there with the photo on our passport and our faces in front of them, and they went through all bags. They also wanded us for metal, and frisked those whose metal couldn't be placed on a table. This was all in a line outside the ship before boarding.

Good to hear how cautious they were in that instance.

Makes one speculate why they ramped up the level of scrutiny but good to know they have an elevated system established to use, as needed.

Thanks for sharing this, Greg.

First I've ever read of such careful check but I do not doubt they had their reasons.

Iancal, I share your concern. But my guess is no one will ever again breach that secure area. Perhaps passengers are also more aware that drinking to excess on a ship is a really stupid idea. ;) Regards, Salacia

Not to worry anyone , but our last 2 cruises , doing laps after breakfast on the promenade deck we passed the anchor room several times and no one around . The door is always open.

Lots of big chains and levers in there , I'd be afraid to touch them .

Our experience is the opposite.

EVERY port we have been in since 9-11, always require a govenment issued photo ID (drivers license) and ship's ID card to let you pass. Some of them read them very carefully while others do not.

And EVERY port that I visited on my recent 16-Day Caribbean cruise onboard the Noordam ONLY wanted to see my ship's ID card to let me pass! ;)

In 2002 aboard the old Westerdam at the crew show they introduced some behind the scenes people . They brought on stage the security force , there were about 30 of them .

Haven't seen that done ever since .

Perhaps they were doing that back then for reassurance...following 9/11.

And EVERY port that I visited on my recent 16-Day Caribbean cruise onboard the Noordam ONLY wanted to see my ship's ID card to let me pass! ;)

I don't recall having to show anything more than my ship ID card either. They always look at the photo to make sure it's a match.

Not to worry, Copper 10-8 (Security Officer John) is on the job and has complete control. :D

As a retired law enforcement officer, I can tell you that cruising in one of the safest if not the safest way to travel. I have worked with cruise line security in the past and found it to be up to par. The security staff are all highly trained in security of the ship, firefighting and passenger safety. They have to pass rigorous training to get and keep their position. :cool:

Have a wonderful cruise and let the experts worry about safety. :)

• 2 months later...

I've been advised that I may need an xray or doctor's note to explain the plate & screws in my ankle from a previous broken ankle. Any views on this? What about people with knee or hip replacements? I am also travelling on AA from west to east coast - do I need doctor's note for the metal in my ankle?:confused:

Airlines have no interest in doctor's notes. It is so easy in this computer age for people with little skill to make up a letterhead and type anything they wish and present it as 'supposedly' being from their doctor. Airport security will inspect you in whatever way they deem necessary. You can mention your surgery to them but they will clear you only when they have followed their own protocol.

I don't recall having to show anything more than my ship ID card either. They always look at the photo to make sure it's a match.

AT the Gangway, at ship's security .....yes.

Entering the port in order to go to the ship, on the ground before you go up the gangway, the local security all ask for photo ID in addition to your ship's card.

Every morning when the Cruise Director advises the ship is cleared and we are free to go ashore if we wish, (s)he always reminds us to take our photo ID for our return to the ship.

The Security on the gangway have the photos on the computer to compare in person to your face. The port security have no photo of you.......that is why they require a government issued photo ID.

We are cleared first by the 'people on the dock' and then we are cleared by HAL security on the gangway.

My husband says it's when he removes his hearing aids :D

:DThat's priceless! LOL

I've been advised that I may need an xray or doctor's note to explain the plate & screws in my ankle from a previous broken ankle. Any views on this? What about people with knee or hip replacements? I am also travelling on AA from west to east coast - do I need doctor's note for the metal in my ankle?:confused:

I had a complete hip replacement last Oct. & went on a cruise in Jan..Have no idea if have metal or some kind of plastic compound, but did not need a Dr's note & was able to go right through the scanners..

Cheers...Betty

Archived