Food, another perspective

maxsales

I find it amusing that you mention a difference in food quality since 1985 and feel that the "ridiculous" prices for specialty restaurants offends you so much, but say nothing about the cost differences for a cruise then and now.

It is well documented that cruises today cost no more than they did in the past, and in many cases, cost even less. A simple use of an inflation calculator (one is available at http://146.142.4.24/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=100&year1=2012&year2=1985 ) reveals facts that if you were to acknowledge would dissuade many of your complaints. (But of course, don't let facts get in the way of your opinion!)

Let's assume, for the sake of this example, that in 1985 a stateroom could have been booked for a mere $100. Flash forward to 2012, and utilizing the calculator mentioned above, we see that because of inflation that $100 now has the buying power of only $46.91. Put another way, to match the same purchasing power of today's $100, you would have had to spend $213.19 in 1985, over twice the amount.

But you don't. Today you pay virtually the same dollar amount as in 1985.

The result? Even if you spent $40 at a specialty restaurant for that 5 star quality meal you so miss and refuse to pay extra for today, you have only spent $140 per day. That compares quite favorable to the $213.19 is should cost you based only on inflation alone.

Seems to me we are getting a pretty good deal, EVEN if we eat in the specialty restaurants every day. In fact, we still come out ahead by almost $75 in today's dollars!!!

And that isn't my humble opinion - that is fact.

Nicely stated.

Which cruises can you get for $100- per person, per day??

I just booked 2 celebrity Cruises.

The 7 day one was $394- per day (2 people)

The 14 day one was $350- per day (2 people)

It's great that you are sailing in a suite. I can show you many sailings for 100 per person per day. Look at the recent Tuesday exciting deals for Europe there were a number of seven day cruises for between 699 and 899 per person.

I just looked on the celebrity website and it lists multiple seven night Alaska cruises for $699.00 so that certainly makes the price less then $100.00 per day person. Just do a little research.

I didnt say we had a suite and I am at a complete loss as to where you got that from, we dont. A suite would be 1.5 times the above prices.

As I have posted several times in different threads, only US people get these deals, "Tuesday exciting deals" you mention. Unless you are in USA, nothing at all is offered to "foreigners". Am a member of "Captains Club" and get nothing, no emails, no notifications. Nothing against North Americans, but you have to realise that the rest of the world pays the brochure price, or doesnt cruise Celebrity.

I just checked the Australian Celebrity web-site (our only booking medium apart from TA who charge exactly same or more), and the lowest price 7 day Carribean cruise is $1149- pp or $164 pd pp.

The lowest price European cruise is $1459- pp or $182 pp pd

These are pretty much in-line, price wise, with the 2 that I booked as quoted above.

I keep asking the question "how can I get information about these deals", but in 3 years have not been able to get answer, either from the forum or the cruise line.

It is fantastic for those of you that get great prices and OBC etc etc but please remember that only USA and maybe canadian citizens get these.

:eek:

Having just read this thread, I have a few comments:

[1] We have been cruising since 1985. The first few years of cruising I raved to everyone that it was like having 5 star restaurant food every meal.

[2] There has been a steady decline in the quality of the food. And for us, we find it ridiculous that in order to get the quality of food that used to be included, we must pay exorbitant fees for the specialty restaurants.

[3] The quality of the food is sometimes dictated by the head chef. In 2011 the Millennium and the Constellation had basically the same exact menu. The Indian chef on the Milly was wonderful in the buffet, but very poor in the MDR. The German chef on the Connie was fantastic. I tried many of the same dishes just to do a comparison between the two ships.

[4] DH and I do not eat enough for 3 full meals, and tend to skip some courses in order to not be too full. We eat breakfast in the buffet - we eat lunch in the buffet, and those tend to be smaller meals. I don't think we can be blamed for the poorer quality food.

[5] Many of us would be willing to pay a few dollars a day more to have the quality of the wonderful food we used to get on Celebrity (and if you see below, most of our cruises have been on X). We were on the Equinox on a B2B (27 nights) and the food was fantastic throughout the cruise the end of 2009.

[6] We are neither one more than 10 lbs or so over weight - we don't base our cruise around eating. But in the evenings it IS nice to sit down to a top quality meal. I would think with the price they charge for drinks (especially the Martini Bar, which is MY favorite place) they could afford to keep the quality of the food up.

But that is just my humble opinion.

I want to highlight this line:

Many of us would be willing to pay a few dollars a day more to have the quality of the wonderful food we used to get on Celebrity

Our first Cruise on Celebrity (the brand spanking new Infinity in 2001) was 5 star all the way, and the food was divine. Celebrity seems to be pricing themselves competitively with other lines like Carnival and NCL, which they aren't. I think there is a market for "near-luxury" cruising which IMO is where Celebrity always was positioned. They can add a couple hundred dollars to their cruise fares and restore the luxury we had back in 2001, and market themselves as the in-between line between the major mass market players and the luxury lines like Crystal or Regent. The price jump for the luxury lines is pretty extreme, thus I think Celebrity can position themselves right there. Remember the years when EVERY CELEBRITY SHIP was in that top 10 list for Conde Naste? I don't see that anymore, nor do I see Celebrity advertising that. Celebrity needs to regain that position IMO.

I find it amusing that you mention a difference in food quality since 1985 and feel that the "ridiculous" prices for specialty restaurants offends you so much, but say nothing about the cost differences for a cruise then and now.

It is well documented that cruises today cost no more than they did in the past, and in many cases, cost even less. A simple use of an inflation calculator (one is available at http://146.142.4.24/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=100&year1=2012&year2=1985 ) reveals facts that if you were to acknowledge would dissuade many of your complaints. (But of course, don't let facts get in the way of your opinion!)

Let's assume, for the sake of this example, that in 1985 a stateroom could have been booked for a mere $100. Flash forward to 2012, and utilizing the calculator mentioned above, we see that because of inflation that $100 now has the buying power of only $46.91. Put another way, to match the same purchasing power of today's $100, you would have had to spend $213.19 in 1985, over twice the amount.

The result? Even if you spent $40 at a specialty restaurant for that 5 star quality meal you so miss and refuse to pay extra for today, you have only spent $140 per day. That compares quite favorable to the $213.19 is should cost you based only on inflation alone.

Seems to me we are getting a pretty good deal, EVEN if we eat in the specialty restaurants every day. In fact, we still come out ahead by almost $75 in today's dollars!!!

The Problem is....those specialty restaurant fees keep increasing. Used to be $25, now $40. Next year $50, per person!? And if they keep the food only mediocre in the MDR forcing us to utilize the specialty restaurnts, we are at the mercy of this gouging pricing scheme. I think it is now taking on a NCL model in which almost every restaurant charges a fee. Cruising used to be a nearly "all inclusive" venture, and savvy cruisers need to take a stand against this trend IMO. The original M Class ships had GREAT MDR dining and one super special restaurant( the USS something) that cost another $25 for a special occasion like an anniversary. The service in that restaurant was unlike anything most people had ever experienced ( 6 stars!). Now we need to pay extra for a crepe in a takeaway restaurant! Things have changed, and not for the better.

Which cruises can you get for $100- per person, per day??

I just had a quick look and counted roughly 90 X cruises at or under $100pppd sailing up until Dec 12, based on inside cabin prices. There were also around 20 cruises with balcony prices under $100pppd.

I just had a quick look and counted roughly 90 X cruises at or under $100pppd sailing up until Dec 12, based on inside cabin prices. There were also around 20 cruises with balcony prices under $100pppd.

You can be sure.... that with those prices, Celebrity will have to resort to trying to upsell things on the ship to make some semblance of a profit. That would be alternative restaurants, hot cocoa in reusable cups, pictures, wine tastings, etc. As Nancy Reagan once said, "Just Say No".

I keep asking the question "how can I get information about these deals", but in 3 years have not been able to get answer, either from the forum or the cruise line.

It is fantastic for those of you that get great prices and OBC etc etc but please remember that only USA and maybe canadian citizens get these.

This will require some work on your part. To get the deals, you will have to find a way to book through a US travel agent. It would be easier if we could just type in the web addresses here, but forum rules prevent us from doing that.

Do some google searches. Personally, I often use the travel agent component of a major warehouse club, which has stores in Oz. I also use an agent that specializes in interline travel but they also work with non airline people as well.

You might be able to see the rates by looking at the US website for Celebrity Cruises. My guess, however, is that you now have a cookie that defaults you to the .au site. Delete the cookie and tell the website that you are located in the US.

My guess is that you won't be able to arrange flights through Celebrity, payment terms might be different, and consumer protection will be different as well. Of course, payment will be in US$ and you might have to pay foreign transaction fees. Finally, some of the rates might have specific residency restrictions. I don't think, however, that the contracts require US residency.

Good luck and happy cruising

As I have posted several times in different threads, only US people get these deals, "Tuesday exciting deals" you mention. Unless you are in USA, nothing at all is offered to "foreigners". Am a member of "Captains Club" and get nothing, no emails, no notifications. Nothing against North Americans, but you have to realise that the rest of the world pays the brochure price, or doesnt cruise Celebrity.

Not all folks in the USA get e-mails. I've tried for years. Nothing, nada, zip.

I guess we don't find those deals since we always sail balconies and always book before final payment. And we never can travel in the very low seasons.Our average rate is still much closer to $200pp per day. I am curious to know what the averge cruiser really pays? Especially since 80% of the cabins on the newer ships seem to have balconies. Many references on this thread have been made to the average price remaining the same as it was years ago, but does that only really apply to the least expensive class of cabins on lower demand bookings or those that have been discounted after final payment to fill empty rooms?

After reading this I remembered that my parents, both passed on now, took a Carnival cruise in the early 1980s for their 35th anniversary, their one and only cruise. Fortunately, we kept their photo albums and one was for their Caribbean cruise in 1983 on Carnival's Tropical, which was Carnival's first custom built ship constructed specifically for cruising. Along with photos, my mother had included the booking reservation.

For that 7-day cruise, in a small inside cabin, they paid a total of $1,181.26, not including taxes and fees - a huge sum for them. That works out to be just over $84 per day per person. Using the link to the inflation calculator, that would equate to $194.32 in today's dollars - for an inside cabin on a ship that has many fewer amenities than ships commonly do today.

Here is a photo of what was at the time considered state of the art in cruising (Now called the Ocean Dream):

1024px-Ocean_dream_pullmantur.jpg

After reading the comments back and forth, I have to jump in and agree with the OP.

Celebrity is trying to attract a different, younger demographic, one that doesn't remember and doesn't care about the "good old days" of 10 years ago when the food was so much better.

Many people are willing to pay for the dining experience offered at Blu and the specialty restaurants. We consider this an enhancement to the cruise experience and are willing to pay for it. I still consider these prices a bargain compared to what we would pay for a similar experience in the Chicago area (any metropolitan area really)

As for drink prices, we find them in line with bars in our area and consider the beverage packages a great deal!

Once again, if you don't like it, don't pay...you have that option.

Are you kidding me? Applebee's isn't a mas produced meal?

Not in the sense of of the MDR or buffet....

Yes they prepare many meals a night, however the majority of items are cooked/prepared to order.... Which makes a huge difference

While your inflation numbers my be correct...

You are not factoring in how the world has become more efficient, therefore reducing the cost of doing business.... Companies strive at reducing the cost of doing business therefore allieviating the need to raise prices...

I would bet that the margin over cost is the same or may even be higher then it was 30 years ago...

While your inflation numbers my be correct...

You are not factoring in how the world has become more efficient, therefore reducing the cost of doing business.... Companies strive at reducing the cost of doing business therefore allieviating the need to raise prices...

I would bet that the margin over cost is the same or may even be higher then it was 30 years ago...

And if that is the case, it is more than offset by a better experience on larger ships with more amenities, better ports of call, more deck space, etc. Just look at the ship in fortinweb's posting. Does anyone really think that it is worth the same price as one of the modern ships sailing today, much less twice the price? And how about fuel prices? Those have gone up dramatically by about 600% in those 30 years. Food prices have also gone up dramatically. Efficiencies gained in some areas are offset by increased costs in other areas.

jveevers - I'm an Aussie too - for an answer send me an email:

andrew at landsen dot com dot au

Cheers

Ando

I want to highlight this line:

Many of us would be willing to pay a few dollars a day more to have the quality of the wonderful food we used to get on Celebrity

Our first Cruise on Celebrity (the brand spanking new Infinity in 2001) was 5 star all the way, and the food was divine. Celebrity seems to be pricing themselves competitively with other lines like Carnival and NCL, which they aren't. I think there is a market for "near-luxury" cruising which IMO is where Celebrity always was positioned. They can add a couple hundred dollars to their cruise fares and restore the luxury we had back in 2001, and market themselves as the in-between line between the major mass market players and the luxury lines like Crystal or Regent. The price jump for the luxury lines is pretty extreme, thus I think Celebrity can position themselves right there. Remember the years when EVERY CELEBRITY SHIP was in that top 10 list for Conde Naste? I don't see that anymore, nor do I see Celebrity advertising that. Celebrity needs to regain that position IMO.

Those were the days prior to the 3,000 passenger ships they currently run. As for marketing strategy, the profits are not in cruise fares, but in extras, like drink packages, specialty restaurants, excursions etc. To fill large capacity ships, they can't concentrate on small groups of folks, therefore they have to compete with the other major lines, of which they are one.

You want luxury, its 2-3 times the cost, not 2 or 3 hundred more.

Those were the days prior to the 3,000 passenger ships they currently run. As for marketing strategy, the profits are not in cruise fares, but in extras, like drink packages, specialty restaurants, excursions etc. To fill large capacity ships, they can't concentrate on small groups of folks, therefore they have to compete with the other major lines, of which they are one.

You want luxury, its 2-3 times the cost, not 2 or 3 hundred more.

I think the gist of this entire conversation is that Celebrity really did spoil us all 10 years ago. Perhaps they were losing money on those earlier runs, or not making the same types of profits. Whatever the case, we all remember when it was better: less crowded and more sophisticated. Celebrity is simply different now, but I still think they produce a superior product and service than most of the others.

Archived