Food, another perspective

maxsales

I have noted with increasing interest the number of comments about the current trend of meals on Celebrity. In most cases the comments have been more on the negative side, with the trend being that dining quality has deteriorated.

So I went on the web and looked up Applebee's restaurant that whil, never considered a culinary leader, normally service a decent meal. I took the lowest cost appetizer , entree and dessert plus an iced tea and the total came to $21.46. Notice I didn't even include a salad!

Folks, think about this, $21.46 for one dinner at a moderate restaurant. With cruise fares consistently being in the $100 a day range per person, I think Celebrity is doing a really nice job providing all that they do for the price I pay. Cruise prices are the same or lower per day then they were 15 years ago. What else are you buying today that has the same or lower price then it did 15 years ago?

Do I wish the food was six star quality? Sure I do! Do I wish all of my cruises were free? You bet! But my reality is that Celebrity is offering a very good value that I appreciate. :)

Yes but here's the problem:. what if people want to stay with Celebrity - one of the S-Class ships, for example, and yet have better quality food (ie, what it used to be) in the main dining room?. That's where the frustration / dissapointment arises from many posters on here.

Yes but here's the problem:. what if people want to stay with Celebrity - one of the S-Class ships, for example, and yet have better quality food (ie, what it used to be) in the main dining room?. That's where the frustration / dissapointment arises from many posters on here.

I see the point but I think Celebrity covers that very well with their specialty restaurant offerings. You can dine up anytime you want. Thus the cost stays lower for most folks and those that want a better exprience can have it.

I stand by my OP prices have not increased on average yet food costs have. Something had to change. My point was to simply give the management team at Celebrity credit for maintaining a quality product under challenging conditions.

One more point then I am off the soap box. You mention the way they used to be, correct? Well the price for a cruise used to be in the 175 dollar person range. If they were charging 175 per day person then I think the MDR food would be like it used to be. It's very hard to have it both ways

I see the point but I think Celebrity covers that very well with their specialty restaurant offerings. You can dine up anytime you want. Thus the cost stays lower for most folks and those that want a better exprience can have it.

I stand by my OP prices have not increased on average yet food costs have. Something had to change. My point was to simply give the management team at Celebrity credit for maintaining a quality product under challenging conditions.

Well said; I agree.

I have noted with increasing interest the number of comments about the current trend of meals on Celebrity. In most cases the comments have been more on the negative side, with the trend being that dining quality has deteriorated.

So I went on the web and looked up Applebee's restaurant that whil, never considered a culinary leader, normally service a decent meal. I took the lowest cost appetizer , entree and dessert plus an iced tea and the total came to $21.46. Notice I didn't even include a salad!

Folks, think about this, $21.46 for one dinner at a moderate restaurant. With cruise fares consistently being in the $100 a day range per person, I think Celebrity is doing a really nice job providing all that they do for the price I pay. Cruise prices are the same or lower per day then they were 15 years ago. What else are you buying today that has the same or lower price then it did 15 years ago?

Do I wish the food was six star quality? Sure I do! Do I wish all of my cruises were free? You bet! But my reality is that Celebrity is offering a very good value that I appreciate. :)

I love your way of thinking and I hope I meet you some day on a cruise. What do we have today that costs the same as it did even 10 years ago? I, too agree that the food is not as good as it was years ago on Celebrity, but then, I'm not paying anywhere near as much as I did to cruise in those days, nor can I in today's economy. So, I agree with you that Celebrity is doing the best they can under the circumstances.

I have noted with increasing interest the number of comments about the current trend of meals on Celebrity. In most cases the comments have been more on the negative side, with the trend being that dining quality has deteriorated. So I went on the web and looked up Applebee's restaurant that whil, never considered a culinary leader, normally service a decent meal. I took the lowest cost appetizer , entree and dessert plus an iced tea and the total came to $21.46. Notice I didn't even include a salad! Folks, think about this, $21.46 for one dinner at a moderate restaurant. With cruise fares consistently being in the $100 a day range per person, I think Celebrity is doing a really nice job providing all that they do for the price I pay. Cruise prices are the same or lower per day then they were 15 years ago. What else are you buying today that has the same or lower price then it did 15 years ago? Do I wish the food was six star quality? Sure I do! Do I wish all of my cruises were free? You bet! But my reality is that Celebrity is offering a very good value that I appreciate. :)

Good, interesting perspective. From doing the galley tour on our Solstice cruise last June, I was hit by the fact that they prepare about 12,000 meals . . . EACH AND EVERY DAY . . . for the passengers AND crew from 17 different kitchens. That's lots of food to prepare and serve. With that type of demand and numbers, it is harder to be a "custom" dining experience. Under those challenges, they do a decent job. It's not Michelin three-star, but that's a totally different experience . . . AND COST!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 77,913 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

One more point then I am off the soap box. You mention the way they used to be, correct? Well the price for a cruise used to be in the 175 dollar person range. If they were charging 175 per day person then I think the MDR food would be like it used to be. It's very hard to have it both ways

Exactly. Back in 1978 a co worker went on a cruise. At that time cruises were out of the question. His cabin was like a closet. He also mentioned that it was very, very difficult to TIP the staff at the end of the cruise. He said it was expected to put at least 10% of the cruise cost in a envelope and that he really had a hard time doing that since he would never see them again. Even with the automatic gratuities today I don't think it adds up to 10% of what we pay for a cruise. Ex if you paid $900 for a balcony your tip would be $90 @ 10%. A 7 day cruise @ $12 is $84. I know that it may be possible to get a lower rate and there are bottom shoppers that expect to get 6 star dinners, cabin, entertainment and transportation for less than a buffet dinner at the local pig trough. Yes maybe things aren't as they use to be and if they were most of us couldn't afford to cruise.

We were scared into booking Aqua Class on our cruises on Summit Apr 7-21 2012.

Negative comments about meals in the MDR on this site caused us to change our second week from Balcony to Aqua, the first week was booked Aqua. We were going to do a comparison Blu to MDR on this B2B but we were so afraid we made the change.

Following is what we posted last week in Member Reviews.

Summit April 7-21 B2B Aqua Class

Blu or not to Blu

For us it was 2 dinners Blu, next night dinner in the Normandie and the rest, dinner in the FANTASTIC MDR. Checked the Blu menu every night but the MDR always first choice after the first two dinners in Blu. Lunch twice at Bistro on Five (excellent) and one day a great hamburger on pool deck. Breakfasts and remainder of noon meals when aboard at the Aqua Spa Cafe and of course the great sea day buffets in the MDR (lamb nice touch over beef). All our meals in the MDR were excellent, dined with different guests every night, no one sent anything back, did though, order additional appetizers and desserts.

Two more excellent cruises on Celebrity. Ship excursions all as advertised and at a reasonable price.

New Aqua Spa cabin nice but for us, balcony cabin and MDR on future cruises.

Improvement to internet access much appreciated. Also enjoyed the lecture series when we could.

Celebrity staff, as always, great. Entertainment was enjoyable.

Feel soltisization a plus but going back a few years will always miss the evening restaurant at the Waterfall.

A lot of conversations about other lines at Connections and on excursions but unless a special itinerary not offered by Celebrity we are good with the Millenium Class ships.

Oh and come to San Juan early, spent 3 wonderful days pre and 1 great day post.

And so do we. In fact, our cruise in March was one of the best we have ever had since we started cruising Celebrity back in 2004.

Food costs, to consumers and restaurant providers have gone through the roof. I also give kudos to Celebrity for providing good food while dealing with the constant rising of food prices.

I agree with you, and would like to add that we found the food on our cruise in March, in Blu, to be well prepared, delicious and definitely a step above Applebee's offerings (no offense to Applebee's intended). I would equate Blu with a fine dining experience. As to cruise prices, our cruise in March (10 days in AQ) was about the same price (actually slightly less) as our first cruise on Celebrity (10 days, in a CC room) in 2004. Our cruise for next year is also slightly less than the cost of our first cruise on Celebrity, per day. I am happy to be able to continue cruising; if prices were to be comparable today to the per diem you quoted, fewer of us would be able to go on these wonderful cruises.

. I took the lowest cost appetizer , entree and dessert plus an iced tea and the total came to $21.46. Notice I didn't even include a salad!

While I admire your attitude, I have to point out that you've listed the price to the customer. In general, a food's restaurant price is about three times its wholesale cost, so that figure should be $8

While I admire your attitude, I have to point out that you've listed the price to the customer. In general, a food's restaurant price is about three times its wholesale cost, so that figure should be $8

Why? When you go on vacation you pay the menu price. Why isn't that a fair comparison when you are cruising?

You go to Applebee's you get a meal for 26 bucks, you go on a Celebrity cruise you get multiple meals, a roof over your head, transportation and entertainment, for in some cases $80.00 a day.

We too have found that if anything, the cuisine in the main dining room has improved! What we had on Silhouette in March was far better overall than what we experienced last year on the Connie. Qulaity, taste and presentation were better. Although we did dine in specialty restaurants five nights, we did not feel like we were "coming down" on the nights we ate in the mdr.

I agree with the OP wholeheartedly! The very few times I've ever had a meal on Celebrity that I didn't like the wait staff was more than happy to bring a replacement. Usually it was my own fault, too, because I didn't listen to the server's warning not to order that particular item in the first place. They know what's not coming out of the kichen up to par on a given night.

I'll take the lower prices that allow us to vacation more often!

MAXSALES:

You make some interesting points. Recent comments since the menu changes appear to be highly positive. I've experienced the new menu several times on three different ships and believe that Celebrity has responded quite well to past criticisms. Of course some have voiced complaints based on their preferences and that's understandable. I expect the chilled soup at dinner controversy to continue for some time. One Sous Chef told me that Celebrity made the decision to shift from "quantity" to "quality" in meals. IMHO this was a correct choice.

MAXSALES:

You make some interesting points. Recent comments since the menu changes appear to be highly positive. I've experienced the new menu several times on three different ships and believe that Celebrity has responded quite well to past criticisms. Of course some have voiced complaints based on their preferences and that's understandable. I expect the chilled soup at dinner controversy to continue for some time. One Sous Chef told me that Celebrity made the decision to shift from "quantity" to "quality" in meals. IMHO this was a correct choice.

I would agree with that 100%. With so many dining choices I don't find it necessary to "load up" at dinner. My preference would be quality over quantity. After all the buffet is available about 17 hours per day.

Ok, you gave a perspective of cost...

Others may have a different perspective, they are no more right than you.

Too many factors involved, changing tastes of the general public vs. the once limited cruising public for one thing. I think the people who post negative things are comparing to a traditional cruise experience that they enjoyed in the past. Which is a different perspective than comparing to Applebee's.

Just plain different.... Not wrong or right but a difference that may matter in how someone spends their time and money.

Have always enjoyed the food on Celebrity. Of course, I have my favorites and dishes I am not interested in eating daily.

As the OP has showed is the total cost of the cruise including the food is still a great vlaue.

What I like about Celebrity is that all their breads, dessert are made fresh on board. And the MDR dinners are not just buffet food served in a fancier setting.

Ok, you gave a perspective of cost...

Others may have a different perspective, they are no more right than you.

Too many factors involved, changing tastes of the general public vs. the once limited cruising public for one thing. I think the people who post negative things are comparing to a traditional cruise experience that they enjoyed in the past. Which is a different perspective than comparing to Applebee's.

Just plain different.... Not wrong or right but a difference that may matter in how someone spends their time and money.

Sorry I don't understand. I did not give a perspective of price, I gave an actual price from a menu at Applebee's today. Why is that not a fair comparison?

Using that menu and ordered that meal today that is what you pay plus tax and tip.

Let me re-state, I was not attempting to put down Applebee's, I enjoy eating there. I was trying to draw a comparsion of values offered by Celebrity Vs. a shoreside restaurant.

My opinion is that Celbrity cruise lines offers their customers a very good value for the dollar spent. I felt that the Applebee's comparsion made that point.:)

My current cruise booking is a 17 day Panama Canal Cruise, Aqua class. It is the same price as a veranda cabin booking in the late 1990's. In terms of real dollars, cruising is more affordable than ever. Although I shouldn't say this, I wouldn't mind a bit more luxury in the food and would be willing to pay more for the upgraded quality. However, Celebrity and the other brands under the Royal umbrella are positioned to be more mass market than luxury. I've priced out the luxury cruise lines as well as the European river cruises and a little more luxury costs a lot more dollars. So at this point, Celebrity is the line of choice. We've taken more cruises on Royal than Celebrity and Royal's mass market pricing and cost cutting resulted in our return to Celebrity.

Good, interesting perspective. From doing the galley tour on our Solstice cruise last June, I was hit by the fact that they prepare about 12,000 meals . . . EACH AND EVERY DAY . . . for the passengers AND crew from 17 different kitchens. That's lots of food to prepare and serve. With that type of demand and numbers, it is harder to be a "custom" dining experience. Under those challenges, they do a decent job. It's not Michelin three-star, but that's a totally different experience . . . AND COST!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I have not sailed on Celebrity yet but I am booked for a cruise in 2013. However You see these same threads on the RCI board also and I have previously posted the same thing you are saying over there. Having spent some time during my military career managing dining facilities, I can say it is indeed a challenge to put out meals in those numbers daily. You cannot prepare meals to order due to the sheer number of prepole that are being served. Could you imagine how long you would be waiting for dinner if they took you order in the MDR and and cooked it when they received the ticket??? Lunch is being prepared while the breakfast meal is still going on. Dinner is being prepared while lunch is still going on. Preparations for the next day are happening while you are tucked away in your cabin sleeping. No you are not going to get 5 star restaurant quality as you would when your meal is made fresh upon ordering it.

Like you I commend these cruiselines for being able to serve that many meal to 2,000 or more people each day of the cruise to give you a gourmet type meal experiance! I have not seen yet anybody being wheeled off a ship on a gurney at the end of the cruise because they were suffering from malnutrition!

We love Celebrity but book our cruises in the UK so a bit surprised at the OP pricing. $100 is approx £75. All our cruises have been in middle range but ordinary balcony cabins and we have paid from £1700 to £2100 for 14 days. This works out at $183 to $225 a night. This years is even more expensive but we are in Aqua.

We actually think cruising is a great holiday and good value for money, we have only cruised with Celebrity. We enjoy the food and the fact the staff will swop anything you really don't like in the MDR.

Is the $100 based on a late or special price? Is the difference per night due to the fact we have only cruised in Europe?

We not complaining just wondering ?

We love Celebrity but book our cruises in the UK so a bit surprised at the OP pricing. $100 is approx £75. All our cruises have been in middle range but ordinary balcony cabins and we have paid from £1700 to £2100 for 14 days. This works out at $183 to $225 a night. This years is even more expensive but we are in Aqua.

We actually think cruising is a great holiday and good value for money, we have only cruised with Celebrity. We enjoy the food and the fact the staff will swop anything you really don't like in the MDR.

Is the $100 based on a late or special price? Is the difference per night due to the fact we have only cruised in Europe?

Overall, we have always enjoyed the food in the MDR and specialty restaurants too. We love Celebrity as we feel it a great value for the experience they provide.

Welshfamily, My pricing always seems to be in the same range as yours.....$180-$200+ per night. Those seem to be the averages when we can travel. But I can't help but wondering if the food quality may be slightly different on cruises sold at peak travel times? Anyone have any thoughts on that?

That's not experience either, and we are in the U.S. Our upcoming cruise will cost around $150 pp per night; we are concierge class. Eating in a specialty restaurant each night would increase the cost of the cruise about 25%.

Bad food is not a bargain at any price. I think the disappointment comes in because X markets the food as being luxurious dining. At best, it's good mass-market food.

Archived