Oosterdam - Tracy Arm

sail7seas

:rolleyes: Actually, your 'assumption' we have only a very short stay in Seattle is incorrect.

We will have more than the fast in and out stay and it should be enough to provide a day for us to go to Victoria as well as do most of whatever else we have on our 'like to do list'.

I'll contact our hotel concierge prior to our arrival to discuss our perhaps spending a day there as you describe. :)

My 'assumption' was only that your Seattle stay would be shorter than ours as we stay at least 2 weeks every visit and have plenty of time for a day in Victoria BC. Only an educated guess, of course.

We received the e-mail from HAL. Our cruise is in Sept. so it looks like all of the Osterdam Alaskan cruise's will have this itinerary. I don't really care for Tracy's Arm

and we don't usually leave the ship in Victoria anymore but we are still leaving Ketchikan at 1:00 so I wonder why it will take a extra hour to port into Victoria? Maybe because of other ship traffic into that port? But I do feel HAL should give a better answer. If this were my 1st trip I think that I would book on the Westerdam!

We thought Tracy Arm was beautiful. And then we saw Glacier Bay! That was so stunning that I wondered why our cruise (Zuiderdam 7-day) bothered with Tracy Arm. I suppose they hedge their bets. We had great weather for both days of glacier viewing, but that doesn't always happen.

But if I could see only one of those two, it would be Glacier Bay.

We thought Tracy Arm was beautiful. And then we saw Glacier Bay! That was so stunning that I wondered why our cruise (Zuiderdam 7-day) bothered with Tracy Arm. I suppose they hedge their bets. We had great weather for both days of glacier viewing, but that doesn't always happen.

We also find cruising Tracy Arm beautiful - as long as you aren't expecting to get more than a glimpse, way off in the distance, of the glaciers. It is a lovely supplement to either Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier, but I pity anyone for whom that is their only tidewater glacier viewing from the ship.

We also find cruising Tracy Arm beautiful - as long as you aren't expecting to get more than a glimpse, way off in the distance, of the glaciers. It is a lovely supplement to either Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier, but I pity anyone for whom that is their only tidewater glacier viewing from the ship.

I love Hubbard Glacier. Last year we spent a lot of time in Tracy's Arm for shelter from the Sept. storms and the calm water there was very welcome by most on our ship! The waterfalls were amazing. But after a couple of hours the views were unchanging.

Oh my,,,,,,,, Pity? :eek: :D

Poor us, we're only going to see Tracy Arm and that is but a maybe, I gather.

LOL.....

I haven't cruised in Alaska so am no expert other than what I read here. We are thinking of doing it next summer, so have questions. I understand that to do the Inside Passge you cruise from Vancouver which will probably be our preference even if we went to Seattle first and then drove or Amtracked up to Vancouver. I'd rather do the IP than be out in the Pacific. But.....

What I don't understand afer reading this thread is why take a cruise RT from Seattle that only goes to Tracy Arm when there are Seattle RT 7 days that go to Glacier Bay instead, obviously a much more scenic cruise according to the Alaska experts here. Everything else about the HAL Seattle/Alaska cruises appear to be comparable except Tracy Arm vs Glacier Bay. What am I missing?

We cruised Tracy Arm last year, and found it spectacular, from the moment you begin weaving though the mountains so close you feel you can touch them, watfalls at every turn, to the jaw dropping glacier at the end. We hope also to see glacier bay one day, but Tracy Arm is a memory I would not give up.

I haven't cruised in Alaska so am no expert other than what I read here. We are thinking of doing it next summer, so have questions. I understand that to do the Inside Passge you cruise from Vancouver which will probably be our preference even if we went to Seattle first and then drove or Amtracked up to Vancouver. I'd rather do the IP than be out in the Pacific. But.....

What I don't understand afer reading this thread is why take a cruise RT from Seattle that only goes to Tracy Arm when there are Seattle RT 7 days that go to Glacier Bay instead, obviously a much more scenic cruise according to the Alaska experts here. Everything else about the HAL Seattle/Alaska cruises appear to be comparable except Tracy Arm vs Glacier Bay. What am I missing?

Speaking only for myself, what you are missing is the consideration we just might wish to sail that particular ship. We wish to sail Oosterdam before she leaves for Australia.

When there are choices, everyone will make their choices for their own reasons. What one person values more, another may not. The reason HAL offers various itineraries and ships in a particular region at the same time is to allow each guest to select what works best for them.

I seriously doubt we will be the only folks who booked Oosterdam's itinerary. It is likely there'll be a shipful of others who made the same selection.

We cruised Tracy Arm last year, and found it spectacular, from the moment you begin weaving though the mountains so close you feel you can touch them, watfalls at every turn, to the jaw dropping glacier at the end. We hope also to see glacier bay one day, but Tracy Arm is a memory I would not give up.

:confused:

Well, this is interesting.

A poster above said she pitied those who will only see Tracy Arm way far in the distance.

Thank you for your post, Sister.

Makes me think we may have the opportunity to enjoy the views in Tracy Arm afterall. :)

Your enthusiasm is contagious and I can feel your joy in your post. :)

Speaking only for myself, what you are missing is the consideration we just might wish to sail that particular ship. We wish to sail Oosterdam before she leaves for Australia.

When there are choices, everyone will make their choices for their own reasons. What one person values more, another may not. The reason HAL offers various itineraries and ships in a particular region at the same time is to allow each guest to select what works best for them.

I seriously doubt we will be the only folks who booked Oosterdam's itinerary. It is likely there'll be a shipful of others who made the same selection.

<snip>

I agree. We chose our cruise because we could combine it with a coastal and sail into San Francisco. That and being on HAL were our main considerations. Pretty strange that I went to Alaska so I could sail under the Golden Gate Bridge, but that's how we started looking at that trip.

We had never been to Alaska before so we figured anything we saw would be new and interesting.

Twice now our cruise was suppose to do Glacier Bay but was changed to Tracy's Arm.

You are not really missing anything and your observation is correct. The thing is that each year there are less and less ships granted access/permits to Glacier Bay same with Hubbard Glacier. Hubbard is down to small hand full now. These permits are quite costly, the alternative is Tracy Arm. Five years ago HAL basically did not have that many going to Tracy Arm it was more as an additional stop when cruising out of Vancouver. It was ships like NCL, RCI/CEL and PCL that would have Tracy Arm but HAL round trip Seattle was always one Hubbard and the other Glacer Bay. It was not till this season that they no longer had the permit for Hubbard. Of course they knew a few years in advance this was coming :o There was a time when Princess also had more going to Glacier Bay but now most go to Tracy. To insure going to Glacier Bay those sailing out of Vancouver will be the itineraries to select. Vancouver sailings always cost just a bit more which covers the cost plus sailing this is my estimate that they also burn less fuel so it helps cover the cost.

The averager person looking to do an Alaska cruise do not want to take on the additional expense of sailing out of Vancouver not just becauset the cruise itself is slight more but based on cost of flights or hassle factor getting to Vancouver and or not wanting to invest in getting a US Passport.

Also the average person who cruises to Alaska has not been advised of what each itinerary really consists of they just think they are going to Alaska and they are all the same. In the end the budget wins out over what they may want to see.

Then there is one last option of why choose Tracy Arm but this is actually three part, for those that have cruised to Alaska many times and want to change what they have seen from previous years or if they have not sailed a particular ship and want to add that to the list of ships they have sailed ;) Or for religious reasons Westerdam for Glacier Bay sails on Saturday and some cannot start their sailing on Saturdays and so it makes more sense to start travel on Sunday.

You are not really missing anything and your observation is correct. The thing is that each year there are less and less ships granted access/permits to Glacier Bay same with Hubbard Glacier. Hubbard is down to small hand full now. These permits are quite costly, the alternative is Tracy Arm. Five years ago HAL basically did not have that many going to Tracy Arm it was more as an additional stop when cruising out of Vancouver. It was ships like NCL, RCI/CEL and PCL that would have Tracy Arm but HAL round trip Seattle was always one Hubbard and the other Glacer Bay. It was not till this season that they no longer had the permit for Hubbard. Of course they knew a few years in advance this was coming :o There was a time when Princess also had more going to Glacier Bay but now most go to Tracy. To insure going to Glacier Bay those sailing out of Vancouver will be the itineraries to select. Vancouver sailings always cost just a bit more which covers the cost plus sailing this is my estimate that they also burn less fuel so it helps cover the cost.

The averager person looking to do an Alaska cruise do not want to take on the additional expense of sailing out of Vancouver not just becauset the cruise itself is slight more but based on cost of flights or hassle factor getting to Vancouver and or not wanting to invest in getting a US Passport.

Also the average person who cruises to Alaska has not been advised of what each itinerary really consists of they just think they are going to Alaska and they are all the same. In the end the budget wins out over what they may want to see.

Then there is one last option of why choose Tracy Arm but this is actually three part, for those that have cruised to Alaska many times and want to change what they have seen from previous years or if they have not sailed a particular ship and want to add that to the list of ships they have sailed ;) Or for religious reasons Westerdam for Glacier Bay sails on Saturday and some cannot start their sailing on Saturdays and so it makes more sense to start travel on Sunday.

Thanks for the explanation of the permits. We had a park ranger on board doing commentary. I wonder if he's also on board to keep track of where the ship goes and make sure they don't do anything naughty, like sounding the horn to "encourage" calving of the glacier. (I've heard that was common practice in the early days of Alaska cruising)

You're right about Vancouver--I was amazed at the difference in cost and availability for flights to Vancouver vs Seattle. Fortunately, we had the time to spend a few days in Seattle, got to visit a friend we hadn't seen in several years, and the chance to take Amtrak to Vancouver. For us it isn't just about the cruise. We look for good stuff to tack on to either end. But if all you've got is a week, choices are definitely limited.

The Alaskan National Park Service -- I think that is the correct group -- determine how many ships they will allow into Glacier Bay, etc.

Nothing - you are figuring out Alaskan cruises the correct way -- by reading what everyone has to say and their opinions.

Inside passage from Vancouver is great!!

Last year on the 14 day Alaskan cruise out of Seattle -- we were thrilled that we got to do the Inside Passage -- this year we are a tad disappointed that now we will just swing out into the Pacific.

I for one, would never consider a round trip cruise from Seattle that goes to Tracy Arm -- chances of getting close are slim most of the time.

Our first Alaskan cruise was Glacier Bay and it was marvelous. Next time we did Hubbard Glacier -- of that beautiful blue ice. Heaven. We have seen more calving in Hubbard than at any other glacier.

Nothing - you are figuring out Alaskan cruises the correct way -- by reading what everyone has to say and their opinions.

Last year on the 14 day Alaskan cruise out of Seattle -- we were thrilled that we got to do the Inside Passage -- this year we are a tad disappointed that now we will just swing out into the Pacific.

I for one, would never consider a round trip cruise from Seattle that goes to Tracy Arm -- chances of getting close are slim most of the time.

Our first Alaskan cruise was Glacier Bay and it was marvelous. Next time we did Hubbard Glacier -- of that beautiful blue ice. Heaven. We have seen more calving in Hubbard than at any other glacier.

Thanks, KK. You are expert on so many things, including cruising to Alaska. Looking at the fares of Inside Passage, Glacier Bay, and Tracy Arm cruises also verifies what you say and the opinions here of most past AK cruisers.

Yonnie - Ingrid and I have done Alaska 9 times and probably will do a 7 day out of Seattle this summer.

We too have had itinery changed from the inside passage to the outside passage. Normally this is due to the tides at Seymore Narrows.

From the sounds of it, my impression is that the Oosterdam is down one engine and cannot make speed. Hopefully they will bring all engines up to speed and be able to do their normal itinery. I have always felt that Glacier Bay is the most reliable compared to the Hubbard, Tracy Arm and College Fiord. Anyway a cruise is still much better than staying at home, reguardless of the ports.

Yonnie - Ingrid and I have done Alaska 9 times and probably will do a 7 day out of Seattle this summer.

We too have had itinery changed from the inside passage to the outside passage. Normally this is due to the tides at Seymore Narrows.

From the sounds of it, my impression is that the Oosterdam is down one engine and cannot make speed. Hopefully they will bring all engines up to speed and be able to do their normal itinery. I have always felt that Glacier Bay is the most reliable compared to the Hubbard, Tracy Arm and College Fiord. Anyway a cruise is still much better than staying at home, reguardless of the ports.

What makes you say Oosterdam is down an engine?

Have you seen some announcement or comment from someone on board?

Certainly this thread doesn't indicate any sort of engine problems...... though it might be the case, but I haven't seen anything in this thread to lead me to decide the ship is 'down an engine'. :confused:

We also received the announcement of the time changes for our cruise next weekend on the Oosterdam. This is the second consecutive cruise on the Oosterdam where we arrived in Victoria an hour later.

We love Victoria, especially when the weather is nice having dinner on the front porch of the Empress Hotel. Last year we were in Victoria for twelve hours on the end of the Westerdam repo cruise and the weather was horrible. With some luck, it will be in the 70s like it as in May 2009.

Hi Ron

Actually our schedule change was not a last minute change or anything like that.

When HAL posted the Alaskan itineraries last year -- we all knew in advance that the 14 day cruise would not be doing the inside passage.

I read on another thread where you might be doing the Westerdam the end of May or early June -- we liked that itinerary.

Have a great cruise if Ingrid and you do it.

Archived