Cruise Tomorrow-Dilemma

bby31288

Hi Guys I cruise tomorrow. Due to a family emergency I now only have about $800.00 for my cruise. Its just me and my husband. While we are cruising that Friday, my husbands paycheck will be direct deposited.

Havent cruised in a while. Will this be enough? Should I put like $500. in cash down or give them my debit card with $500.00 available and keep $300 cash for ports. We planned on just jumping into a cab and hitting the beach. We are going to Grand Turk, HMC and Freeport.

Any advice the best way to do this??

Sorry stupid phone! What i meant to say was that they put 300$ into their onboard account. He had some drinks. They had a great time just got off at the ports and walked around. So yes i think you will be fine. Just keep an eye on your account. Have a great trip :)

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xcwxdx

I would NOT use your debit card for your S&S card. You may have holds placed on your money that could cause overdrafts. I would put cash on your S&S card and make sure you keep track of where you are at $ wise.

I would just put cash down. Holds will be placed on a debit card which could cause problems. HMC and Grand Turk are free beaches and no transportation needed. Just watch your drinking (it can add up)

Use a cash account, there will be a hold on your debit card for a while after the cruise. What you don't spend, you'll get a check from Carnival on the last day, and it can be cashed at guest services or put into your account when you get home, or cash it at your bank.

Agree - don't use a debit card for sail and sign. They can decide on a random amount to hold which could cause you to have overdrafts for things you technically have enough money in your account to cover and then the overdraft fees will really mess you up financially.

I agree, do not use your debit card to set up you S&S account. Even if you say you want your S&S on a cash basis they will require you to use a card to set it up. Last time we did this was for the same reasons you are. I get paid once a month and payday was going to be the 2nd or 3rd day of the cruise. We already had enough cash for all of our ports of call. I put $300 cash down when I set up the S&S ( also had to use a card as they would not let me set it up with just cash). Second day of the curise I had a note to go see guest services. They told me I had insufficant funds for my S&S. We had less than $100 spent on the S&S. They had tried to put a hold on an additional $500 on my checking account. I then had to use some of the cash I had saved for port to put more on the S&S even though there was still over a $200 balance on it. The next day my paycheck was deposited so there wasn't a problem, but it pissed me off. I had paid all of my next months bills in advance as I would be on the cruise when I normally pay my bills at the first of the month. I was worried all cruise that because they had tried to put a hold on so much money that one of the bills I had sent out might have bounce before my paycheck was deposited. I had budgeted $2,000 for the S&S it just wasn't going to be avalible until the 3rd day.

When you get into your first port check to see if his pay was credited and withdraw more cash with an ATM card. If not check at next port - you should probably be able to take out enough cash if his check goes to get you through your cruise.

We had the same situation last year. What I did was put $ on the S&S and took off tips and then put them back on when my husband got his pay - That way we had $$ for the week and believe me, I wouldn't stiff the staff, but it was an option and I made them note on my account that we were putting tips back on on Friday. Friday came, I got money first thing in the morning from the ATM on the ship - felt it was safer than waiting to go into port - and immediately went down and put money back on my card and reactivated the auto tips. It was all good! And I have to say - we had a great time in all our ports without spending a ton of $$$!!

800 is plenty - more than enough in fact. If you don't gamble and drink minimally you'll come back with money. I'd put down 300 cash on the account and put the rest in my pocket for the ports. BTW, good for you to have a budget and stick to it. There's nothing like coming home without a bill to worry about.

I don't know if this helps, but I have Chase and we always use our debit card, but as credit. I notice that as others have said they authorize throughout the cruise, however none of it clears until after the cruise is over. It all shows as pending. I guess in theory you could set up the account with the cash and use your ATM card as credit for back up and by the time your husbands check went in it would all be good? I mean I'm not saying this is full proof, never done it. Just a thought. I really think though that $800 would work out. $161 tips, $100 for each port and about $60 per day spending on the ship. You'll be fine.

Using your debit card as a credit card only impacts how the transaction is handled by the company processing the transaction. Banks charge customers for debit transactions and merchants for credit transactions. So when you have a store process your debit transaction as a credit the only thing that does is make the merchant pay the processing fee - it will not prevent the cruise line from placing a random hold on your account to insure that they are paid. The hold varies depending on where you are. Used my debit card to reserve a hotel room in Atlantic City - even paid for the room in cash when I checked in and still had $1000.00 hold on the account my debit card was linked to for 5 days.

Hi Guys I cruise tomorrow. Due to a family emergency I now only have about $800.00 for my cruise. Its just me and my husband. While we are cruising that Friday, my husbands paycheck will be direct deposited.

Havent cruised in a while. Will this be enough? Should I put like $500. in cash down or give them my debit card with $500.00 available and keep $300 cash for ports. We planned on just jumping into a cab and hitting the beach. We are going to Grand Turk, HMC and Freeport.

Did you prepay tips? Aside from tips, my mother in law did a 5 days, with some drinking and penny slots, shopping etc for about $400.

We prepaid, and plan to have minimal drinks, bring our own soda, and we're not buying their overpriced gifts or pictures and we don't plan to spend more than then $250 OBC we have.

I would do cash. Don't do your debit. They place holds and if your budget is that tight, youre likely going to overdraw with the holds.

You have the best port for this kind of situation.

You can do a lot of free stuff in all these ports.

Grand Turk has the beach right there...no taxi needed. AND a free pool at Margaritaville.

HMC is where Carnival provides lunch and ice tea and lemonade...so no money will have to be spent there.

Freeport.... last 2 times, we just hung around the port and used it as a "sea day at port"...enjoying a quiet ship.

We always use a debit card for our S&S account, and have never had any issues with the fact that they put on a hold on the account for a couple of days while the account settles. We always have more than enough money in the account that the debit card is tied to.

YMMV

We always use a debit card for our S&S account, and have never had any issues with the fact that they put on a hold on the account for a couple of days while the account settles. We always have more than enough money in the account that the debit card is tied to.

YMMV

The OP clearly said they won't have extra money, though.

That is way more than we've ever spent on cruise extras (ie, not fare or airfare)

Don't drink on the ship, except wine you bring, don't gamble and you'll have plenty of money and have a great time.

The only thing that has to go on your sign and sail is tips. My first cruise I didn't buy anything else.

Well, your life will be a lot easier and save money on cabs!

HMC--you are at the beach! You have a huge beach to pick where you want to hang out.

Grand Turk--same thing, the beach is right there!!!!! There are enough deck chairs for just about everyone on the beach, but the water is not a sandy bottom, it is rocky and can be hard to walk in and out of......you can also snorkel right off the beach!!!!!

I hear ya on tight budgets, but my friend just came back a week ago from a five day cruise and had $150 in OBC. She ended up getting a cheque for $2 back at the end of the cruise....Yep, all of her ES Price reductions were after final payment and that meant OBC...

I would NOT use your debit card for your S&S card. You may have holds placed on your money that could cause overdrafts. I would put cash on your S&S card and make sure you keep track of where you are at $ wise.

I second this - if you are tight on funds do NOT use a debit card. The hold could tie up double what you spend until they release sometime after you get back and cause you to overdraw. Pull it out in cash and use that or use a credit card if you have one and pay it off as soon as you get back.

Only you know what you’re spending habits are BUT my husband and I usually do 7 day cruises with $400 on our S&S account and another $200 for shopping in ports. We also usually bring money home with us. I should note that we do not drink alcohol. We do put our tips and a soda card for both of us on the S&S.

Also – You DO NOT need a card to set up your S&S account. We always put cash only on our account - I don't even have a card to use. Never a problem. Using your debit card could be more problems than it’s worth.

Have a great cruise,

Jacki

I think you've gotten plenty of good advise. Use some cash for your S&S, keep the rest in hand for any "just in case" situations. We do drink some, gamble a bit too. Our last bill was about $600. for a 7 day, but that included tips & $195. for a tour. Just watch your drinking & other onboard spending- you should be fine.

Thanks all! I have already pre-paid my tips when I booked and paid in full! We are bringing out two bottles of wine. Red Sangria to be exact and some water bottles. I need water!

I am grateful the family emergency didn't require us to have to cancel. I am glad for the advice about how to handle the money issue!! Thanks all. I'll be leaving for the port of Baltimore in 12 hrs!!! Can't wait.

Thanks all! I have already pre-paid my tips when I booked and paid in full! We are bringing out two bottles of wine. Red Sangria to be exact and some water bottles. I need water!

I am grateful the family emergency didn't require us to have to cancel. I am glad for the advice about how to handle the money issue!! Thanks all. I'll be leaving for the port of Baltimore in 12 hrs!!! Can't wait.

Have a wonderful time! We will be boarding next Sunday when you guys get back. :D

Archived