How big is too big?

cluelyss18

HSAT358_lg.jpg.946cdadef6adc841d7dda2bd605b7053.jpgI know this is a long-debated issue, but I must ask. My boyfriend recently purchased new luggage. When I looked at the dimensions it says it's 26" high, we are flying Delta and US Air.

I know we should stay within the stated measurements, but my question is this. How strict are they? Do they let a couple inches slide? I'm asking because if this wont fit, we will just check a larger bag.

This is a pic of the bag in question.

Thank you.

[ATTACH]232390[/ATTACH]I know this is a long-debated issue, but I must ask. My boyfriend recently purchased new luggage. When I looked at the dimensions it says it's 26" high, we are flying Delta and US Air.

I know we should stay within the stated measurements, but my question is this. How strict are they? Do they let a couple inches slide? I'm asking because if this wont fit, we will just check a larger bag.

Thank you.

You also need to figure in the width and what the overall outside dimensions of the bag are.

While Eng23 is correct, there are some basics for bags that are simple to see. If you are saying this is a carry on, it is definitely too big. The maximum number usually associated with carryons is 22 inches. 25 is usually the smallest checked bag size.

If that is a 26" High Sierra wheeled duffle, it's too big for a carry on. The dimensions of this bag (& I don't know if they are including the wheels and handle in this measurement) are 11.5 x 26 x 13 inches - which equals 50.5 inches. It's 5.5 inches too large. If it's overstuffed, it's going to be even larger.

Size requirements for US are:

Up to 45 in/115 cm (14 x 9 x 22 in or 36 x 23 x 56 cm), and up to 40 lb

If that is a 26" High Sierra wheeled duffle, it's too big for a carry on. The dimensions of this bag (& I don't know if they are including the wheels and handle in this measurement) are 11.5 x 26 x 13 inches - which equals 50.5 inches. It's 5.5 inches too large. If it's overstuffed, it's going to be even larger.

Size requirements for US are:

Up to 45 in/115 cm (14 x 9 x 22 in or 36 x 23 x 56 cm), and up to 40 lb

It is a High Sierra bag. You can enlarge the picture and I think it is the bag you mentioned.

Then we will just back one large checked baggage. We were trying to avoid having to check bags since for 4 legs of flights it's roughly an extra $100 per bag, but if we can get away with sharing one checked piece, we'll do that!

Thanks for the info. Wouldn't want to start our vacation with any hiccups

Then we will just back one large checked baggage. We were trying to avoid having to check bags since for 4 legs of flights it's roughly an extra $100 per bag, but if we can get away with sharing one checked piece, we'll do that!

Thanks for the info. Wouldn't want to start our vacation with any hiccups

You're welcome. :)

[ATTACH]232390[/ATTACH]I know this is a long-debated issue, but I must ask. My boyfriend recently purchased new luggage. When I looked at the dimensions it says it's 26" high, we are flying Delta and US Air.

Thank you.

Are you talking about carry-on or checked?

We were trying to avoid having to check bags since for 4 legs of flights it's roughly an extra $100 per bag, but if we can get away with sharing one checked piece, we'll do that!

What airline are you on that's charging you checked bag fees for each leg of the flight? Or do I not understand correctly what you are saying?

What airline are you on that's charging you checked bag fees for each leg of the flight? Or do I not understand correctly what you are saying?

I was just coming on here to ask this!!! For some reason I had it in my mind that we would be charged $25 for each part of the flight, so if we have one layover that would be $50..this is incorrect though, right?? If we check one bag between the two of us, it will only be $50 ROUND TRIP? :confused:

WOW can you tell my mind is already on vacation??

I was just coming on here to ask this!!! For some reason I had it in my mind that we would be charged $25 for each part of the flight, so if we have one layover that would be $50..this is incorrect though, right?? If we check one bag between the two of us, it will only be $50 ROUND TRIP? :confused:

WOW can you tell my mind is already on vacation??

Yes, if you only check one bag your baggage fee should be $50 round trip. The baggage fee is per bag up to 2 bags, you do not pay the fee for each segment of your trip each way. If you have a connection you are not charged the fee again.

Yes, if you only check one bag your baggage fee should be $50 round trip. The baggage fee is per bag up to 2 bags, you do not pay the fee for each segment of your trip each way. If you have a connection you are not charged the fee again.

I cannot believe that for the last 4 months of planning I was trying to figure a way to cram all my stuff into a carry-on because I thought I was going to have to pay $100 just for my one bag! Aye yi yi.

BTW I noticed your avatar pic..are you on the job? I dispatch up here in RI

Many people do not understand how the baggage fees work. I recently had a multi-segment day of travel with one segment on a tiny regional plane. The carry ons people had for the normal big jets would not fit on the regional prop plane.

Everyone had to gate check nearly everything bigger than a lunch box and the battle raged, but there were no fees for gate checking on that segment.

Some of the airlines have made bagge, especially carry on baggage into a battle.

I cannot believe that for the last 4 months of planning I was trying to figure a way to cram all my stuff into a carry-on because I thought I was going to have to pay $100 just for my one bag!

The connecting flights must be on the same ticket. You mentioned that you're flying DL and US. If they are on the same ticket, the $25 each way ($50 round trip) applies. But if it's on two separate tickets, you have to claim your bags at the connecting airport and re-check them onto the connecting flight. The fee will be charged again, since the second ticket originates at the connecting airport and they don't know (or care) that you flew or drove there.

The connecting flights must be on the same ticket. You mentioned that you're flying DL and US. If they are on the same ticket, the $25 each way ($50 round trip) applies. But if it's on two separate tickets, you have to claim your bags at the connecting airport and re-check them onto the connecting flight. The fee will be charged again, since the second ticket originates at the connecting airport and they don't know (or care) that you flew or drove there.

Good point to consider here.

I cannot believe that for the last 4 months of planning I was trying to figure a way to cram all my stuff into a carry-on because I thought I was going to have to pay $100 just for my one bag! Aye yi yi.

BTW I noticed your avatar pic..are you on the job? I dispatch up here in RI

Hi. Yup, been on the job for 22 years now.

Archived