Why not just end formal nights altogether?

I have given this a lot of thought and think I may have come up with a win/win solution - which I call DressAwards. Basically, it permits people who have paid thousands of dollars for their vacation to dress as they choose, but bestows benefits based on personal selections.

Class "E"

Men - Muscle shirt, low riding cargo shorts, flip flops

Wowen - Tube top, swimsuit coverup, flip flops

Reward - Complimentary glass of Old Milwaukee beer (or brand of similar ilk).

Class "D"

Men - T-shirt, jeans, crocs

Women - Halter Top, capris, sandals

Reward - Complimentary glass of imported beer

Class "C"

Men - Sport Coat, slacks, deck shoes

Women - Blouse, skirt, ballerina shoes

Reward - Complimentary glass of wine

Class "B"

Men - Suit, tie, shoes with socks

Women - Dress, high heels

Reward - Complimentary glass of good wine

Class "A"

Men - Tux, cumberbund, shoes with laces

Women - Gown, bling, stiletto heels.

Reward - Complimentary Champagne cocktail

By the time all that liquor is imbibed nobody will care what anybody else is wearing. Not only that but it will get rid of the modern day equivalent of "let them eat cake" - to wit: "let them eat at the buffet". Thus, those with a yen for stronger sartorial panache will be rewarded with a more superior libation and can bask in the satisfaction that dressing up brings its own rewards.

I wonder if RCI will give me OBC for this idea?

I'm working on solving the chair hog problem next!

No I'm serious but you've got to be kidding. Many of those that want to control how others dress are the ones that can't accept that others may have a different opinion. They are the ones that are so judgemental and are doing the name calling.

You are doing what you claim others are doing. You can't accept that others have a different opinion, you have been judgmental and you have engaged in name calling. Unlike the poster who started the thread, I have doubts that you are doing anything here but stir the pot.

Well, I certainly am not going to compare cruising on a ship with going to a wedding. You say I am trying to diminish the formal night by comparing it with work attire. Well, I say you are trying to diminish the importance of a formal Wedding by comparing it with a cruise!

Formal nights are what you want to make of it, nothing more. And how many times do I read here that people want to wear formal because they want a formal photo of their family. While I think that is a great idea, this is the reason why cruise lines LOVE formal nights "ka-ching".

Which means the cruise lines will continue with their formal nights for those who want to, and who want the photo opps, but they will not stop others cruising and dining who don't want to wear formal because hey, guess what, they can't do without their money either.

I agree with you that formal night on a cruise does not equal a wedding. On a cruise it is a made up special occasion. So I don't think people should have a cow about the people who don't dress up. While I do dress up, like the vast majority do, despite what some state, there are very few who don't dress up. I am not bothered by those who don't because I am not the one who designated the evening formal or invited people to the event. It is up to the cruise line to enforce or not enforce and as many have stated Royal does not turn people away who don't dress formally.

Crews stopped requesting pax go back to their cabins and dress appropriately because the crew was being verbally abused by pax whose manners evidently matched their lack of the ability to know how to dress for dinner.

We witnessed a few of these encounters.:eek: We felt badly for the crew who were trying to do their jobs.

Well, I certainly am not going to compare cruising on a ship with going to a wedding. You say I am trying to diminish the formal night by comparing it with work attire. Well, I say you are trying to diminish the importance of a formal Wedding by comparing it with a cruise!

Formal nights are what you want to make of it, nothing more. And how many times do I read here that people want to wear formal because they want a formal photo of their family. While I think that is a great idea, this is the reason why cruise lines LOVE formal nights "ka-ching".

Which means the cruise lines will continue with their formal nights for those who want to, and who want the photo opps, but they will not stop others cruising and dining who don't want to wear formal because hey, guess what, they can't do without their money either.

There you go again. Diminishing--> "Formal nights are what you want to make of it, nothing more." No, formal nights are formal nights and not what you make of it. You can participate or not. It's your choice. Diminishing--> "ka-ching". Those that favor formal nights appreciate the tradition and have little or no concern about the "ka-ching" that benefits RCI.

Let me stress again, you can participate or not just stop justifying non-participation by diminishing the event.

To all of the posters from the new thread, I'll summarize for you...So there you have it. No need for you to read a couple of hundred posts.

I think what you meant to say was this:

The argument is that some cruisers want to control how others dress, while others recognize that RCCL suggests dress for formal night but formal dress is not required. The group that does not want anyone to dress up for Formal nights, refuses to accept that some passengers want to dress in formal attire and does not understand that the world has not changed all that much. Many people want to purchase and bring formal clothes on cruises. The group that wants to control how you dress is judgemental and will attack you if you disagree. They will even resort to name calling. I will take this opportunity to accept their apology and let them know I am not offended by their attacks.

There that makes much more sense. I will await your apology.

Well, I certainly am not going to compare cruising on a ship with going to a wedding...

No the whole cruise is not like the wedding but the formal night is, except you might just see multiple brides and grooms. The rest of the cruise is just like the hotel stay if you went to a resort for a wedding.

Formal nights are what you want to make of it,...

No, if that were the case they would be called personal choice nights, which is of course what all the other nights on a cruise are called.

I think its time we all take a deep breath and relax a little. That being said, if you don't want to dress up for dinner on formal nights eat someplace else on those nights and let those folks who do enjoy the experience of formal nights do so.

Well Said!!!!!

I have given this a lot of thought and think I may have come up with a win/win solution - which I call DressAwards...

Class "E"

Men - Muscle shirt, low riding cargo shorts, flip flops

Women - Tube top, swimsuit coverup, flip flops

Reward - Complimentary glass of Old Milwaukee beer (or brand of similar ilk).

If Class E comes with free skeet shooting off the Aft, I might just trade in my tux. I would have to forgo the American beer, because that is one of the few things that I don't think we make better in this country.

,,,the major lines have more than one ship sailing essentially the same itinerary. I would keep one ship an elegant dining decor staffed with waiters and other postions dressed in formal wear where the meal is a true dining experience and not just a place to go to get the third meal of the day. I would keep the current dress codes but I would enforce them to the letter with no exceptions. The other ship would be retrofitted to replace the elegant dining room with an "Applebee" decor with red and white checkerboard tablecloths, paper towell dispensers on the tables and waiter and waitresses dressed in jeans and cowboy boots. There would be no dress code and anything goes. The food would be the same on either cruise.

Problem solved

,,,the major lines have more than one ship sailing essentially the same itinerary. I would keep one ship an elegant dining decor staffed with waiters and other postions dressed in formal wear where the meal is a true dining experience and not just a place to go to get the third meal of the day. I would keep the current dress codes but I would enforce them to the letter with no exceptions. The other ship would be retrofitted to replace the elegant dining room with an "Applebee" decor with red and white checkerboard tablecloths, paper towell dispensers on the tables and waiter and waitresses dressed in jeans and cowboy boots. There would be no dress code and anything goes. The food would be the same on either cruise.

Problem solved

I made pretty much the same suggestion a few pages back except it would be two seperate dining rooms on the same ship.:D

Sorry Charlie,

You are doing what you claim others are doing. You can't accept that others have a different opinion, you have been judgmental and you have engaged in name calling. Unlike the poster who started the thread, I have doubts that you are doing anything here but stir the pot.

No, that is not accurate. I don't care haow anyone dress and and I make no judgements about them. On the other hand, the "formal group" wants to control how others dress beyond actual requiremnts set by RCCL. Just by having a differnt opinion I'm called rude and judgemental. The judgements are coming from those that are trying to control others.

Sorry Charlie,

No, that is not accurate. I don't care haow anyone dress and and I make no judgements about them. On the other hand, the "formal group" wants to control how others dress beyond actual requiremnts set by RCCL. Just by having a differnt opinion I'm called rude and judgemental. The judgements are coming from those that are trying to control others.

Sorry bud but you are what you are.

It is Royal Caribbean that calls it Formal Dinner. It is Royal Caribbean that says Formal Attire. They don't call it Freestyle Dinner. LOL. It is Royal Caribbean is trying to control how you dress. Don't blame a so called formal group. It is Royal Caribbean.

I am flabbergasted at the response to my thread here, I had no idea this was such a touchy subject. In any event some interesting information here.

Yup, it's right up there with religion and politics as a topic that inspires emotional responses. :)

I normally steer clear of these types of threads but decided to throw in my $.02 this time. Any of the type of bickering between whether people should dress formally on "formal" night or not in the MDR is totally misdirected. RCI has made the decision for everyone although not in a definitive way. The fact that they have contradictory printed information posted between what is suggested attire, compasses, and guidelines as to what is formal and what isn't is one area of confusion. The fact that they don't enforce tightly what they have posted is another. A third area is the waiters themselves who encourage people to come to the MDR on formal nights knowing they won't dress formally is still another. I have had this happen to me and heard it from many many other passengers as well...personally while I will dress neatly in trousers and dress shirts..that's as far as I am willing to go.

So by default there really are no true formal nights. Some people will dress formally..some won't..and that's just the way it is. And in my opinion that's the way it should be. It's so silly and shallow for people to worry about what other people are wearing (within reason) If you wish to dress formally..great do it and enjoy it..if you don't... great do it and enjoy it...but good grief quit judging each other by what clothes are being worn. (either way)

Yes JamesCC, cruise dressing is very contraversal!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

Waxing Witch, you are invited to join us at our table anytime!!!!!!!!:)

And no apologies from me, I did not srart the Civil War!!!!:D

I just went to bed too early last night....

The free drinks will not work, too much cost for the lines, maybe we are reverting to the three classes of passage like the Titanic :eek: No I do not want that, but it would seem to solve some of these issues, more of the lack of respect/immaturaty ones over the actual dress rules.;)

Waxing Witch, you are invited to join us at our table anytime!!!!!!!!:)

thanks :D dh and i have had people get up and leave tables with us before. it's sad to us that many people assume we're a certain way (what way?? lol) because we're modified. we're actually really like an old, married couple. just tonight we got angry at a telemarketer that called after 9pm lol.

If someone don't like the formal evenings, why book a cruise on a cruise line who has them?

If i like playing tennis I'm not buying a membership on a golf club.

You know, the considerations I make when booking a cruise, are the timings of the cruise, and the Ports I visit. And cost. When I posed such a question on this board months ago, no-one suggested about the Formal thing.Seriously, whether the cruise has a formal suggestion or not is the last thing I would think about.

Funny thing, I purchased a cruise because I wanted to Go on a Cruise! So, you are suggesting that when purchasing a cruise, you are really "purchasing a ticket to a formal dinner" - hmm, your analogy doesnt quite work here.

I think its time we all take a deep breath and relax a little. That being said, if you don't want to dress up for dinner on formal nights eat someplace else on those nights and let those folks who do enjoy the experience of formal nights do so.

Um, nope. The formal nights are just a dress suggestion and not a requirement. I am happy for people to dress as they see fit. Just as I will do. But I will be doing this in the MDR and not slink in the WJ because as a personal preference I dislike buffets.

I agree with you that formal night on a cruise does not equal a wedding. On a cruise it is a made up special occasion. So I don't think people should have a cow about the people who don't dress up. While I do dress up, like the vast majority do, despite what some state, there are very few who don't dress up. I am not bothered by those who don't because I am not the one who designated the evening formal or invited people to the event. It is up to the cruise line to enforce or not enforce and as many have stated Royal does not turn people away who don't dress formally.

Yes, indeed, this is the crux of the issue. It's funny, I wouldnt wear a cocktail dress on formal night because that isn't why I am on a cruise, esp a Med cruise, but unlike others who WOULD wear formal on a formal night, I would never wear JEANS on ANY night, but some of them would! Go figure.

So by default there really are no true formal nights. Some people will dress formally..some won't..and that's just the way it is. And in my opinion that's the way it should be. It's so silly and shallow for people to worry about what other people are wearing (within reason) If you wish to dress formally..great do it and enjoy it..if you don't... great do it and enjoy it...but good grief quit judging each other by what clothes are being worn. (either way)

I snipped some of your thread but I totally agree. I dont care what others wear as long as they are neat and presentable and dont over expose themselves (which i might add, I have seen WAAAY too much flesh in some formal outfits) and dont smell.:o People can dress formal and look awful, people might not dress "formal" but look fabulous. Again, go figure.

You know, the considerations I make when booking a cruise, are the timings of the cruise, and the Ports I visit. And cost. When I posed such a question on this board months ago, no-one suggested about the Formal thing.Seriously, whether the cruise has a formal suggestion or not is the last thing I would think about.

Funny thing, I purchased a cruise because I wanted to Go on a Cruise! So, you are suggesting that when purchasing a cruise, you are really "purchasing a ticket to a formal dinner" - hmm, your analogy doesnt quite work here.

So when choosing a restaurant you look for the right area and then see if they have an available table, then upon being seated you look for what's being served?

I'm guessing you've ended up with your valentine date at burger joints or being served six course dinners when you just wanted a quick sallad.

I dont care what others wear as long as they are neat and presentable and dont over expose themselves (which i might add, I have seen WAAAY too much flesh in some formal outfits) and dont smell.:o People can dress formal and look awful, people might not dress "formal" but look fabulous. Again, go figure.

Have to agree here. Too many gowns dated two decades ago coupled with 20 pounds too many than originally intended makes for far too much exposure and doesn't make the tradition of formal night very appealing. :eek:

Makes casting those stones a bit harder to fling. Dressing like this for formal night still does not mean you're dressed appropriately for formal night.

After thinking about this for a few days, I've finally figured out why I have no desire to dress up for cruise ship formal nights and why I enjoy dressing in a suit or tux for a wedding. It's because the cruise ship formal night is a fabricated event without any purpose and something like a wedding is a celebration that I enjoy. There really isn't any purpose for formal nights so why pretend that it is a celebration?

After thinking about this for a few days, I've finally figured out why I have no desire to dress up for cruise ship formal nights and why I enjoy dressing in a suit or tux for a wedding. It's because the cruise ship formal night is a fabricated event without any purpose and something like a wedding is a celebration that I enjoy. There really isn't any purpose for formal nights so why pretend that it is a celebration?

That's a perfectly valid opinion (in my opinion). I also like to dress up for weddings. But for me and hubby formal night on a cruise is a very special occasion. The purpose is, it's part of the whole cruise vacation experience, and in a selfish way a time for us to celebrate us, and make a big deal of a night that is special in a way that we like to make it.

If you don't want to dress, fine. No one can force you. I'm sure you will look as nice as you can or want to. Just don't suggest that something that many of us enjoy go away.

PS New Years is a pretend celebration as far as I'm concerned yet so many use that occasion to dress up. Others don't.

Archived