Why not just end formal nights altogether?

We for one love to dress for formal night. Heck that is why I bought my own Tux. I wear it only for cruising and the rest of our family (men have their own Tux's also). The Ladies get to SHOP!!!! for their evening wear and look beautiful. We hope they will always have the Formal Nights on cruises. That said, as stated before. You don't have to dress for formal night if you don't want too. It is a suggestion.

Happy sailing

Two hours ive been wanting to ask this but havent got up the nerve.I dont mind formal night wouldnt mind if it went away either.But i wonder if this splits on an age bias.Older more experianced cruisers remembering the glory of days gone by and younger cruisers looking to simply melt away from the rat race.Dont drag me into street and stone me.The real problem will be realizing we and i mean we are the older ones.

I don't think you can split it along age. It's more like the group that follows the rules and/or suggested guidelines as opposed to the 'it's all about me group' that feel it's their vacation and they can do whatever they want. I've seen old and young on both sides.

Seems we don't know what cruise lines will do. They seem to make it up as they go. Perhaps formal nights will go away as tradition is going away. Some for good, and others sad.

What continues to crack me up is people who fixate on the word suggested attire. If you read the dress codes, when is says "formal night" that should be the end of it. It's formal. But RCCL goes the extra (secondary) mile in instructing folks what that means and whats acceptable.

It doesn't "suggest" that you go formal or not, it suggests what to wear on formal night.

YES, YES, YES! Thank you so much for saying this. I cannot believe how people misinterpret this statement. It is quite clear to me that RCI is stating that certain nights are formal, and that for those nights, they give you "suggestions" of what is appropriate. That doesn't mean that formal is optional. It means, if you don't know what formal is, here are some suggestions for you.

Unfortunately, as long as RCI continues not to enforce their own guidelines, people will continue to ignore them and then spout off about how dressing formally is only a suggestion.

Hey Heidils... I'm going to the MDR every night and I'll wear a nice shirt and dress slacks. If you have a problem, maybe you should do specialty dining on nights you choose to be formal. It says Formal suggested not formal required. Please don't be so judgemental about my dress and I won't judge how you look in that evening gown.

Wrong. Your reading comprehension needs some work. The website states that certain nights are formal, and then "suggests" what types of things qualify as formal.

Two hours ive been wanting to ask this but havent got up the nerve.I dont mind formal night wouldnt mind if it went away either.But i wonder if this splits on an age bias.Older more experianced cruisers remembering the glory of days gone by and younger cruisers looking to simply melt away from the rat race.Dont drag me into street and stone me.The real problem will be realizing we and i mean we are the older ones.

The desire to dress up or not dress up is not an age issue. I am in my 20s and have loved dressing up since I was a teenager. It's a cultural issue.

YES, YES, YES! Thank you so much for saying this. I cannot believe how people misinterpret this statement. It is quite clear to me that RCI is stating that certain nights are formal, and that for those nights, they give you "suggestions" of what is appropriate. That doesn't mean that formal is optional. It means, if you don't know what formal is, here are some suggestions for you.

Unfortunately, as long as RCI continues not to enforce their own guidelines, people will continue to ignore them and then spout off about how dressing formally is only a suggestion.

Someone posted somewhere that at the Captains Party people were turned away for not being formally dressed. So they can do it if or when they want, but turning a blind eye to some seems to be the practice.

So you can see why some who don't want to dress formal on formal night in the "suggested" attire can feel like it's ok because Royal doesn't enforce their own code.

PS I'm older now but remember whenever we flew as kids we were always dressed up. I've always enjoyed an opportunity to get dressed up. Also I remember when my Dad came home from fishing and had to go the bank, he came home showered and shaved, and put on dressed up clothing. Yesterday my mother in law was here and asked my husband why he had a hat on in the house? Nowadays most young people haven't even heard of such practices, antiquated as they may be. :)

Why would you have turned it down?? We have had dinner at the captains table, where one lady wore a pink t-shirt.

For awhile, I just said, I want to leave my formal wear at home. We don't know the captain, we won't be invited to his table.

After the third occasion of having to borrow a jacket, or rent a tux, that did not really fit properly, I gave up a long time ago.......not including a tux in the suitcase.

Again, it's old school, and I'm an old fart, who can remember back to the 50's where one would wear a suite and tie, when flying first class, but there were no rules regarding "dress code". It was just done.

Today, first class is filled with jeans, flip flops, shorts, t-shirts, and very few with a shirt and tie. I'm comfortable in a tommy and slacks.........see, times have changed.

This being the Royal Caribbean thread, and not Regent or Crystal, or Oceania, all which have other dress codes, I still feel that my last post, where I will either wear what the cruise line suggests in public places, or not appear.

The code of ethics, as well as the country (good ol USA) is on the down hill slide, and it's minds like the ones that say......"It's my vacation, and I'll dress any way that I want" that might as well enjoy their freedom now, because in a few years........the freedom may no longer be here, nor will the ships be here. Something to think about.:rolleyes:

Rick

I suppose we should have had dinner with the captain. But all DH had along were polo shirts. Actually our table was next to the Captain's table. The was on the Explorer last October and I think you were on that cruise. We did a B2B2B.

On the other hand there is a small dinner theater about 50 miles from where we live. We have been going there for years and at first people really used to dress up. Now it too is very casual. By the way their dinners are somewhat better than RCIs. ;) Of coarse they only offer one entree. But then to that's only for a few hundred people.

Jan

My husband and I were retired when we began cruising. We do several each year, have 7 more booked this year and we love to dress formally and it doesn't bother us that some do not. Looking forward to our cruises that begin this week and more to come.:o:o

I have enjoyed many cruises without formal days - Windstar and Regent both are very classy without the prentence. I would LOVE to see "formal evenings" gone and in its place a real respect for all the human-beings on the ship. Ah well, I can dream.

soooo... having a formal night that encourages people who desire to dress up to do so, and encourages people who prefer not to dress up to have dinner at an alternate, non-formal venue is disrespectful to some of the human beings on the ship? i don't follow that at all. it would be disrespectful (and flat out bad business) if the formal dining option was the ONLY option for dinner on the ship, but there are alternatives.

My husband and I were retired when we began cruising. We do several each year' date=' have 7 more booked this year and we love to dress formally and it doesn't bother us that some do not. Looking forward to our cruises that begin this week and more to come.:o:o[/quote']Good for you,life is grand isn't it,don't be:o,just be:D:p:D.

I've only been on 3 cruises[1 Princess and RCCL EOS] and I wear the same thing every night, even for formal nights.

Thread is too long for me to read all of the posts, so maybe this has been mentioned, but I would greatly appreciate pax wearing different clothes nightly, unless they are laundered frequently. :eek:

soooo... having a formal night that encourages people who desire to dress up to do so, and encourages people who prefer not to dress up to have dinner at an alternate, non-formal venue is disrespectful to some of the human beings on the ship? i don't follow that at all. it would be disrespectful (and flat out bad business) if the formal dining option was the ONLY option for dinner on the ship, but there are alternatives.

I think they mean, instead of having formal nights, they would rather a rule that required everyone to be respectful of the other passengers on the ship - since these days, it seems that has gone out the window. At least I think, and hope, that was the intent of this post.

Agree, they won't me$$ around with the bottom line.

Actually, I think they are moving in the only direction they can.

Keep formal night...but allow smart casual dressers into the MDR

also on 'Formal Night'.

Reason: On my last RCCL cruises our MDR wait staff seemed worried by

the many empty tables on Formal Night...no doubt affecting their personal

bottom lines.

On a solo cruise the M/D' called me and asked why I hadn't gone to MDR.

That's proof that they are monitoring absentees...if they called me.

So, Ya, a compromise it is.

:cool:

If the food was anything special people would dress up and not miss dinner in the MDR. Unfortuately on Royal Caribbean these days might as well go to the Windjammer.

I think they mean, instead of having formal nights, they would rather a rule that required everyone to be respectful of the other passengers on the ship - since these days, it seems that has gone out the window. At least I think, and hope, that was the intent of this post.

not sure what the poster i quoted meant, but my problem with the whole 'formal night or no formal night' debate isn't the actual dress, but the sense of entitlement. the 'it's my vacation and i'll do what i want to'. i worked in travel-hospitality for some years and saw it all the time. many people expect to be catered to and do whatever they want. rules don't apply to them on vacation. common courtesy and manners don't apply on vacation. and as much as some people think enforcing a formal dress night is some how disrespectful to some people, i find it disrespectful that people do not display respect to everyone else by following the rules.

and i don't mean following the dress code alone. yes, formal night should be formalISH - i have no problem with clean jeans and a nice button down shirt on 'formal night'. but even on the non-formal nights, there should not be any ratty shorts, tank tops, or hats in the MDR. you sit down to put food in your mouth, your hat should come off. we all have to make our own fun and are each responsible for our own awesome vacation - no matter how much awesomeness rci throws at me, it's up to me to enjoy it and use it and have fun with it.

which comes back to that sense of entitlement. i'm not on vacation to enforce rules or suggestions. i do what i can to have the best vacation i can and i won't let your dressing down ruin my vacation. however, i agree with what others have said that having people REALLY dressed down on formal nights kind of makes it less special for all of us. we're looking forward to dressing up on our next cruise - my brother is buying his first grown-up suit, my husband needs a new one too, and i love ANY excuse to totter around in my 4.5" platform heels :D

not sure what the poster i quoted meant, but my problem with the whole 'formal night or no formal night' debate isn't the actual dress, but the sense of entitlement. the 'it's my vacation and i'll do what i want to'. i worked in travel-hospitality for some years and saw it all the time. many people expect to be catered to and do whatever they want. rules don't apply to them on vacation. common courtesy and manners don't apply on vacation. and as much as some people think enforcing a formal dress night is some how disrespectful to some people, i find it disrespectful that people do not display respect to everyone else by following the rules.

and i don't mean following the dress code alone. yes, formal night should be formalISH - i have no problem with clean jeans and a nice button down shirt on 'formal night'. but even on the non-formal nights, there should not be any ratty shorts, tank tops, or hats in the MDR. you sit down to put food in your mouth, your hat should come off. we all have to make our own fun and are each responsible for our own awesome vacation - no matter how much awesomeness rci throws at me, it's up to me to enjoy it and use it and have fun with it.

which comes back to that sense of entitlement. i'm not on vacation to enforce rules or suggestions. i do what i can to have the best vacation i can and i won't let your dressing down ruin my vacation. however, i agree with what others have said that having people REALLY dressed down on formal nights kind of makes it less special for all of us. we're looking forward to dressing up on our next cruise - my brother is buying his first grown-up suit, my husband needs a new one too, and i love ANY excuse to totter around in my 4.5" platform heels :D

Well said!

Where are you seeing formal night as a suggestion? RCCL says there are 3 DISTINCTLY different dress codes. One of which is Formal.....Then.........there is a "Suggested" code of dress.

Please enlighten me.

Hardly anyone complies with smart casual. Dress on smart causal evening has been the same as casual evenings.

The only thing I disagree with in your post is that you say some people think rules don't apply to them on vacation. In fact, I am quite certain that those people don't think rules apply to them in regular life either. It is an overall attitude people have these days, not just while on vacation. Society has gone into the toilet.

The only thing I disagree with in your post is that you say some people think rules don't apply to them on vacation. In fact, I am quite certain that those people don't think rules apply to them in regular life either. It is an overall attitude people have these days, not just while on vacation. Society has gone into the toilet.

exactly. well, maybe up to the society in the toilet idea. i try to be a glass-half-full kind of gal, so i like to think that society is just going through a general restructuring ;)

On the FOS B2B recently; 4 formal nights (2 each week) saw maybe 15 guys in a tux on week 1 (and 1 in a kilt) and slightly less on week 2.

No shorts of flip flops though.

Not taking sides - just what I observed 2 & 1 week ago.

Each year you see less and less guys wearing the full penguin suit.

Baggage fees or just a changing of the guard?

If you don't pack a tux you are going to fill your suitcase with something else. Most still will take the same bag, bags.

I don't take my tux on Royal Caribbean because less are wearing them. I do take a dark suit instead. My suggestion is that they change the requested dress for formal nights to jacket at minimium and tie not required. Like on HAL. But enforce that. On HAL they have some jackets to hand out if someone comes without one. The ambience would still be dressy. The big difference though is you reall want to eat in the MDR on HAL. On Royal the Windjammer is just as good/bad plus there are a lot of specialty restaurants so I don't see why people want to insist on eating in the MDR without dressing up on formal night. I don't care for formal nights but I will certainly go to the Windjammer if I don't feel like dressing up in at least a jacket.

My husband and I were retired when we began cruising. We do several each year' date=' have 7 more booked this year and we love to dress formally and it doesn't bother us that some do not. Looking forward to our cruises that begin this week and more to come.:o:o[/quote']

at last

someone who makes sense:)

don't be embarra:Dsed

If you don't pack a tux you are going to fill your suitcase with something else. Most still will take the same bag, bags.

I don't take my tux on Royal Caribbean because less are wearing them. I do take a dark suit instead. My suggestion is that they change the requested dress for formal nights to jacket at minimium and tie not required. Like on HAL. But enforce that. On HAL they have some jackets to hand out if someone comes without one. The ambience would still be dressy. The big difference though is you reall want to eat in the MDR on HAL. On Royal the Windjammer is just as good/bad plus there are a lot of specialty restaurants so I don't see why people want to insist on eating in the MDR without dressing up on formal night. I don't care for formal nights but I will certainly go to the Windjammer if I don't feel like dressing up in at least a jacket.

good on yer:)

As far as luggage weight is concerned, I don't agree with that point of view. The only extra weight for us was DH's jacket and tie. He wore the slacks, shirts, and shoes the other nights on the cruises. My dressy tops were almost all chiffon or very lightweight materials, and I would wear the tops on other nights, then dress them up with a black chiffon jacket for formal nights. My shoes and pants were the same that I wore on other nights.

So, dressing for formal night (without a floorlength formal dress), is probably about an extra 2 - 3 lbs in the luggage.

If a tux/suit/jacket or your dresses are not packed the space in your bag will be filled with something else. About a month ago I flew to Ireland for a week and packed all casual clothes. I have a scale and the bag weighed about a pound less only because I did not pack dress shoes. The space was still filled though. Unless you can ditch the checked bag for a carry on, which most could not do on any cruise, I don't see luggage weight as being a real issue or excuse.

Well, we downsized the size of our suitcase, so we carry less. We used to carry 2 fullsized and a small, now its just 1 full size and 1 small for 2 people(7 DAY). Weight is not the issue but size is, no extra space for us. But, there is always a sport coat and tie in there somewhere. This is all we can handle now at our age along with a shoulder bag/carryon

Don't mind seeing people dressed to the hilt at all on formal night. Its always been a tradition.

One highlight of formal night was taking our DS to the games room for a game of after dinner "air hockey".

We were all dressed up and there was another couple, playing Guitar Hero in tux and gown. We never spoke but the nod of mutual approval at each others efforts spoke volumes.

Just big kids playing dress up!

Love it!

Archived