Dining

honkyjay

Going in sept and have booked my MTD me and dw like to meet new people and r thinking about asking to sit with others, so what do u think is best 6 or 8 seat tables ? can we change table/people every night or is this not the 'done thing' we r 1st timers so any info would be (hopefully) helpful thanks

Depends on if you have "open" seating, or traditional. I think you mean "My Time Dining" which is open seating, correct? Then you will likely seat with different people , at different size tables, unless you request the same table size each night when you show up.

Sometimes the dining rooms can get loud. So the bigger the table, probably the harder it will be to meet and talk to everyone else.

MTD means "my time dining"? That indicates that -- when you show up to the dining room (whenver it is open) -- you'll be greeted by a host or hostess and asks something like "what size table do you prefer?" If you want to eat by yourselves, you tell her "table for 2". If you're willing to share a table with others, then you state that -- and you'll be seated accordingly. So, unless you reserve a specific table each night (which you can do on some cruise lines), you'll be seated with different people each night, if you ask to share a table.

If this is on RCI, then you will most likely be seated alone. If you want tablemates, then choose one of the traditional dining times....and request a larger table. Most MTDers prefer solitude and don't want to eat with others.

We have booked the AOS for the transatlantic in November. We chose to do late traditional dining, but then found out the time for late seating was 9:30. That could cause some digestive problems. Someone on the thread thinks that is because the ship leaves from Malaga,Spain where it has been based for the summer/fall, and that the time will revert back to 8:30 for the TA cruise. We have 4 couples going together, so could do My Time dining and sit together. If we choose to stay with traditional, how do we ensure that we would all sit together in the main dining room?

Ciao,

Nikki

If this is on RCI, then you will most likely be seated alone. If you want tablemates, then choose one of the traditional dining times....and request a larger table. Most MTDers prefer solitude and don't want to eat with others.

I disagree with this. I, and many others, choose MTD because we like to meet people - different people every night, as opposed to being stuck on a table with the same ones.

We have booked the AOS for the transatlantic in November. We chose to do late traditional dining, but then found out the time for late seating was 9:30. That could cause some digestive problems. Someone on the thread thinks that is because the ship leaves from Malaga,Spain where it has been based for the summer/fall, and that the time will revert back to 8:30 for the TA cruise. We have 4 couples going together, so could do My Time dining and sit together. If we choose to stay with traditional, how do we ensure that we would all sit together in the main dining room?

Ciao,

Nikki

If you log in to your reservation there should be a place to add / link all of your reservations for dining. Then when you get on board go to the dining room and there will be someone there to help you out if for some reason you aren't at the same table.

With MTD you can show up with people you'd like to sit with -- those you sail with or new friends you met during the day -- or you can ask for a table to share. Unless you arrange to meet, odds are you will sit with different people at your table to share. It's not a big deal.

You'll also meet new people for breakfast and (when open) for lunch in the MDR, as this is always open seating and you are usually seated with others just arriving too. In the buffet (and other places like Cafe Promenade) you would usually sit by yourselves.

You can definitely ask to be seated with others when others arrive or if you meet new people who also have MTD then you can meet at the MDR and go up to the hostess desk together to be seated together. Keep in mind that in most MTD situations there may not be many large tables available and you may have a wait. DW and I love to be seated with new couples each night. We meet more people that way.

ChipQ http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

Here's my take on this. The staff at the entrance will do everything they can do provide you with pleasant dining experience. Just tell them what you prefer. We have gotten away from traditional dining times,and do my time dining now. We like to meet different people every night,and don't want to be rushed after a long port excursion.

Regards, jdc2204

DH and I sat at a table for 8 at 6:15 PM every night open seating. The hostess tried to seat us with the same group every night - a mother, a father, their daughter, and their daughter's fiancee - and then rotated one Baltimore couple and one Chicago couple in and out of our table. We had the same waiter every night. As first time cruisers, we enjoyed learning tips from these veteran cruisers every night.

Archived