Do NOT rent a car from Enterprise in Victoria if you're on a cruise ship stop!

Although your confirmation states that you will be picked up from the dock, here's what it DOESN'T say: from the time you call, it takes around 25 minutes until the pickup van comes; they will take ONLY the driver; they wait until the van is full with other renters before leaving (and if you just miss the van, it will take 50 minutes until it can return for you); it takes 25 minutes to get to their office to actually rent the car; it takes time for all renters to process their paperwork; then if you have passengers, it will take another 25 minutes for you to go back to the dock to get them. At least an hour and a half has gone by - and the same process in reverse at the end of the day. Three or four hours of your 7 or 8 hours shore time are spent getting and returning the car!

Btw - Enterprise in Astoria was great! Picked all four of us up at the pier, which was 5 minutes away, and gave us a choice of cars.

Although your confirmation states that you will be picked up from the dock, here's what it DOESN'T say: from the time you call, it takes around 25 minutes until the pickup van comes; they will take ONLY the driver; they wait until the van is full with other renters before leaving (and if you just miss the van, it will take 50 minutes until it can return for you); it takes 25 minutes to get to their office to actually rent the car; it takes time for all renters to process their paperwork; then if you have passengers, it will take another 25 minutes for you to go back to the dock to get them. At least an hour and a half has gone by - and the same process in reverse at the end of the day. Three or four hours of your 7 or 8 hours shore time are spent getting and returning the car!

Btw - Enterprise in Astoria was great! Picked all four of us up at the pier, which was 5 minutes away, and gave us a choice of cars.

What a terrible ordeal you encountered and a waste of time. Thanks so much for the heads up. It was something we were (past tense) thinking about doing.

Stick with the major (bigger) companies to rent in Victoria (Budget, Hertz, Avis). They all have downtown offices and will be at the cruise ship pier to meet potential and reserved customers.

Heads up: google map it to see where the closest office is. OP - sorry you had to go through this and to future customers, always check the major companies' addresses. I worked for Budget Rent a Car in Victoria for 5 years.

I am afraid this is another example why I am loath to rent a car from Enterprise anywhere.

It's a shame it's so inconsistent. We have rented in Torontowith great results, yet in Long Beach, California they were very lax to take care of us as walk-in customers - standing in front of them wanting to rent a car.... not on the phone and may come in later, but right there before them! Shameful. :(

• 3 weeks later...

We decided to rent a car in Victoria as we had 12 hours in port and rented from National just last week. The representative was waiting for us at the dock! I feel bad that he waited more than 30 minutes as it took longer to disembark. Paper work was ready for us to sign at their downtown office and they also gave us a ride back to port upon returning the car.

we had a similar problems in Monterrey with Enterprise, also with Budget in Naniamo.

Both places couldn't handle everyone from the cruise ship, but didn't bother to inform anyone. Both places when we called we were told "it's only a few blocks you should have just walked over" Wow, was I made when I got to the counter!!!

The best experience we had was with Avis in Victoria. We choose to walk (15mins) to their office downtown. The person working there was the most pleasant car rental agent I've ever encountered.

Archived