Has anyone ever had a 'Front Facing' Ocean View cabin?

edmusic

Has anyone ever sailed in a front facing cabin such as F6001 & F6002 on the Oosterdam and F6003 & F6004 on the Nieuw Amsterdam? We might end up with one of those on our OV guarantee and they look way different in their layout than other OV rooms. If anyone can share the good, the bad, and the ugly, I'd sure appreciate it.

We had family in a similar type cabin on the Volendam. One requirement of the passengers in the forward facing location is that they must keep the shades closed at night when the cabin lights are on. Otherwise the light pollution affects the night vision of the crew on the bridge. It is a safety issue.

We had that cabin on the Oosterdam to Mexico. It had the sideways configuration, so the window was not over the head of the bed like in a normal ocean view room. We could actually stand at the window to look out, and we used the window ledge for storage. The room seemed larger than normal also.

The view is out over the forward bow deck, which was not used during this cruise, so we never saw any people out there.

No one ever said anything to us about the lights and we kept the curtains open at night to look at the stars.

I would recommend this room over an ocean view on the main deck for the better configuration and the total quietness. Only downside was that it was at the very end of the hall, of course, so long walk to the elevators and stairs.

We had that cabin on the Oosterdam to Mexico. It had the sideways configuration, so the window was not over the head of the bed like in a normal ocean view room. We could actually stand at the window to look out, and we used the window ledge for storage. The room seemed larger than normal also.

The view is out over the forward bow deck, which was not used during this cruise, so we never saw any people out there.

No one ever said anything to us about the lights and we kept the curtains open at night to look at the stars.

I would recommend this room over an ocean view on the main deck for the better configuration and the total quietness. Only downside was that it was at the very end of the hall, of course, so long walk to the elevators and stairs.

Thanks for this info. Question - looking at the deck plans, it appears there is a door at the end of hallway to your room which goes out to a large balcony (not a private balcony) Is that true? Can you walk out your door and go stand on a front, public balcony?

No - that door was marked "do not enter" "emergency only" or something similar. Believe me, I was tempted to try it, but never did. I was feeling poorly one day and everyone went into port and left me and I was going stir crazy for some fresh air - wanted to go stand out there so I could see more.

Some pictures of one of the lesser understood room configurations on the Vista Class ships (Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Noordam) and similar configurations on Eurodam and presumably Nieuw Amsterdam.

These rooms are category F (lowest oceanview category on these ships without an obstruction of some kind) and located all the way forward on deck 6. In fact the 2nd picture shows the railing on the forward public viewing deck. The windows have a dark reflective tint that prevents people from seeing in during the daytime and at night your curtains would be recommended (closed) when you have the lights on to ensure maximum privacy. While decor may vary slightly on the other Vista and Signature Class ships, these pictures are from Oosterdam. Photos 2010

[

Cruise Critic Member: DBA

Yes , we had a forward facing cabin , 5002 , on Noordam in 2010. It was great .

Felt like a private yacht .

But it was a handicap room given to us as a guarantee .

Loved that view however .

No - that door was marked "do not enter" "emergency only" or something similar. Believe me, I was tempted to try it, but never did. I was feeling poorly one day and everyone went into port and left me and I was going stir crazy for some fresh air - wanted to go stand out there so I could see more.

sorry to tell you this now , but they will open it for you in port if you ask . I did and it was no problem . Then they started leaving it open all the time and only closed it when it got very windy.

We had a CC member in 6100 on the Volendam. Room was nice but he complained about noise from the show theatre right below him. He heard bingo announcements during the day and the show blasted into the room at night. He had the hotel manager confirm the noise but they couldn't do anything for him. If you are a light sleeper this may not be a good cabin for you. He couldn't go to bed until after 11pm when all the shows were over. HOpe this helps.

Yes , we had a forward facing cabin , 5002 , on Noordam in 2010. It was great .

Felt like a private yacht .

But it was a handicap room given to us as a guarantee .

Loved that view however .

Sailed twice in 5001 - once on the Westerdam and once on the Oosterdam. Great cabin. Tons of storage which is really great for a longer cruise. Nice size balcony and the forward facing window lets lots of light in and it does make you feel like you are on the bridge.

5001 is a handicap room and therefore has the roll in shower. The only down side is if the seas are rough you do tend to feel it more and it really is a long walk down the hall to the elevators.

The door to the front deck is open on special occasions, i.e. Panama Canal, some sailaway, etc.

I know that Joannie swears by her aft wraparound cabin. We were in one once and it was tight with my husband's scooter, no such problem with 5001.

Just for clarification - we were in F6001 on Oosterdam. Not a handicapped room - we had the bathtub. The window DID NOT have a reflective film and we were never told anything about closing the curtains at night for the bridge. This overlooks the forward bow but is above it, so no one on that deck for scenic cruising can see up and back into the room. There was no noise - quietest room ever on a HAL ship as it is so far forward there is no engine or thruster noise, and only other rooms above.

This was such a better view than the "F" rooms on the main decks and the "C" rooms we have had. Would do it again!

Archived