shipboard account overcharge

bus man

When I got my onboard account statement on the last night of my recent Disney cruise, I reconciled the various charges against the receipts I had collected along the way (I'm anal that way), and everything agreed. (Well, almost; they charged me for alcohol that was actually purchased by our traveling companions; but we agreed to settle that amongst ourselves.)

A few weeks later, I got the credit card bill. DCL billed the card three separate times during the week of the cruise, but the amounts totalled up to the onboard statement, exactly. But then there was a separate charge for $10, dated the day after the cruise. They didn't say what it was for (it was identified as "DCL Shipboard Charge" or some such, same as all the others), and in any case nothing I had purchased was for exactly $10. Not to mention, the rest of the account was already reconciled.

I disputed the charge with my credit card company, and I've been told that they'll credit the $10 back to my account. So, case closed.

My point in bringing this up is to ask: has anyone else had this happen to them? I assume it was nothing more than an innocent mistake, but the more cynical side of me is wondering if Disney is applying some kind of post-cruise charge for some random reason and only taking it off if someone complains. Anyone else out there have any experiences like this?

When I got my onboard account statement on the last night of my recent Disney cruise, I reconciled the various charges against the receipts I had collected along the way (I'm anal that way), and everything agreed. (Well, almost; they charged me for alcohol that was actually purchased by our traveling companions; but we agreed to settle that amongst ourselves.)

A few weeks later, I got the credit card bill. DCL billed the card three separate times during the week of the cruise, but the amounts totalled up to the onboard statement, exactly. But then there was a separate charge for $10, dated the day after the cruise. They didn't say what it was for (it was identified as "DCL Shipboard Charge" or some such, same as all the others), and in any case nothing I had purchased was for exactly $10. Not to mention, the rest of the account was already reconciled.

I disputed the charge with my credit card company, and I've been told that they'll credit the $10 back to my account. So, case closed.

My point in bringing this up is to ask: has anyone else had this happen to them? I assume it was nothing more than an innocent mistake, but the more cynical side of me is wondering if Disney is applying some kind of post-cruise charge for some random reason and only taking it off if someone complains. Anyone else out there have any experiences like this?

It happens. Not just DCL. And not often. As long as you can verify (or not) that a charge that shows up after you leave the ship is yours or not, DCL will adjust it.

:)

Did you take the laundry bag home? Its $10 and after you disembark if the stateroom host sees its gone you will be charged $10.

Did you take the laundry bag home? Its $10 and after you disembark if the stateroom host sees its gone you will be charged $10.

I don't even remember seeing a laundry bag, much less taking one. I suppose it's possible that something went missing from the cabin, but if I did take anything, it was unintentional . . . and I haven't found it yet!

Hmm.... we debarked Magic yesterday and I checked my credit card charges online today and noticed the same $10 charge pending in addition to the charge matching my final onboard statement. I remember seeing laundry bags in the closet, but I certainly didn't take one. Don't know how I could verify that though.

Archived