More Questions for Newbe....

Tina0922

Been reading the DCL Tip Thread and people mentioned the following I have questions on:

1- Do the kid's check in the terminal instead of the ship. I already registered my nephews on line so do I still need to do it again at the terminal or on the ship?

2- There was a mention of 'theme nights'.... What are they and what is needed so we don't feel 'out of place' or have to spend a fortune on the boys that want to fit in?

3- Photo package deals you can pre-buy, Is it really a discount buying ahead of time or should we just worry about it onboard?

Thanks for any help or sugestions! Telling the boys Sunday that they are going & I'm getting really excitied that it is coming soon but don't want to be disappointed if we are not 'ready' for something onboard0! :)

Tina

Been reading the DCL Tip Thread and people mentioned the following I have questions on:

1- Do the kid's check in the terminal instead of the ship. I already registered my nephews on line so do I still need to do it again at the terminal or on the ship?

2- There was a mention of 'theme nights'.... What are they and what is needed so we don't feel 'out of place' or have to spend a fortune on the boys that want to fit in?

3- Photo package deals you can pre-buy, Is it really a discount buying ahead of time or should we just worry about it onboard?

Thanks for any help or sugestions! Telling the boys Sunday that they are going & I'm getting really excitied that it is coming soon but don't want to be disappointed if we are not 'ready' for something onboard0! :)

Tina

1- If you've already registed your kids online, you only need to present yourself & your kid at either the table in the terminal or at the club door onboard to get the wristband for your kids.

2- For the 3 & 4 night cruises there would be Pirate night. How "Pirate-y" you get is up to you. Some go all out, some not so much.

3- Photo packages offered precruise, online are 10, 20 & 30 credits. the 10 & 30 credit packages are only offered precruise, online. The 20 (as well as either 40 or 50) credit packages are offered onboard. The only package offered both precruise and onboard is the 20 credit package and it's the same price in both places.

:)

We actually got the same photo credit "deal" on board as was offered precruise.... and YES, you need to get in line in the terminal to get your children's ID bracelets, even if you've registered them online.

On the 7 night cruises (at leas on the Magic), I'd say about 30% dress for pirate night. On the 4 night Dream we just sailed, I'd say less than 10% dressed. Also on the 7 night cruises you will have a "formal" night and a Captain's Gala (semi formal).......

Enjoy!

Tina0922, you mention in your post that you are taking your nephews. Is their mom and dad going on cruise with you? If not, you will need a power of attorney to take children that are not biologically yours.

You do not need a power of attorney (although it might be a good idea to have one) - Disney has a form in the package you will receive precruise that the parent needs to fill out and sign - they don't even require that it be notorized. We took my dd's friend with us and were never even asked for the form!

You do not need a power of attorney (although it might be a good idea to have one) - Disney has a form in the package you will receive precruise that the parent needs to fill out and sign - they don't even require that it be notorized. We took my dd's friend with us and were never even asked for the form!

Not sure what the forms say, but a power of attorney or some other documentation is a good idea. I've had guardianship of my niece for 13 years and can't do anything at school, with insurance or medically without having a copy in hand. Her paperwork is on my list of things to pack in case of emergency.

If I pre pay for the 10 photo package and end up wanting fewer pics, do they offer a partial refund or are you stuck, guess I could ask for duplicates but 10 seems like a lot for just adults traveling.

AFAIK, yes. We had purchased the 20 credit package before our last cruise and, as it turned out, we only wanted 3 pictures. They credited back the package price and just charged us the individual picture prices.

That being said, I don't know for sure that works for the 10 credit package, also (with it only being available precruise, not onboard), but my best guess is yes, they will.

Here is the deal wih a power of attorney on ships. It will be the one time when you get denied boarding or you have a medical emergency. If you have medical emergency, and you don't have a medical power of attorney, things will get ugly fast. It happened to my wife and I with our grandkids; hospital did not want to admit without a parent being present. Second, there is a lot of child abduction; so the cruise lines are cracking down on non biological kids traveling with friends. On Royal Caribbean over spring break a lady was denied boarding for her nephew because she did not have the proper paperwork. I am not trying to put more pressure on you. But, if you have your heart set on this vacation, you may as well have all the I's dotted, and T's crossed.

AF-1 & ENCYMom, you guys are scaring me now.....I already filled everything out on-line for us & my brother is writing a letter like he gave me last year when I took them to the Disney Parks. Is it different for the ships? Also we booked GTY balcony cabin and as of now do not have room assignment or any packet information. We sail in 23 days...should I start to freak out???? PLEASE let me know ASAP if I need to start being a thorn in my TAs side!(which I don't want to do)....We are all very excited about this & would be devistated if turned away. And no my brother & sis-in-law are not going, just myself, my mom(grandma), & nephews.

Tina

AF-1 & ENCYMom, you guys are scaring me now.....I already filled everything out on-line for us & my brother is writing a letter like he gave me last year when I took them to the Disney Parks. Is it different for the ships? Also we booked GTY balcony cabin and as of now do not have room assignment or any packet information. We sail in 23 days...should I start to freak out???? PLEASE let me know ASAP if I need to start being a thorn in my TAs side!(which I don't want to do)....We are all very excited about this & would be devistated if turned away. And no my brother & sis-in-law are not going, just myself, my mom(grandma), & nephews.

Tina

I would call the TA now and ask if they have received your cruise documents yet. If they haven't they need to call DCL and find out about them. The documents generally arrive about 30 days out. It's possible the TA has received them and just not gotten them to you yet.

You can check your reservation at the DCL site online and see if they've assigned a room yet. But with a GTY it can be assigned at any time up to and including your embarkation day.

I totally know & understand about room being assigned at any time including day of booking...the DCL website shows nothing different from the day I booked it. I have been checking it at least twice a week. That's why I am getting concerned..... Thx Shmoo

I totally know & understand about room being assigned at any time including day of booking...the DCL website shows nothing different from the day I booked it. I have been checking it at least twice a week. That's why I am getting concerned..... Thx Shmoo

Just twice a week? :D Our first cruise we were GTY and I was checking every day (sometimes twice a day :rolleyes:)

Relax, you'll have a spot on the ship.

Shmoo, I know we will have a cabin that is not freakign me out. The documentation needed for my brother to fill out is. Spoke to my TA today and as of now DCL has not assigned cabin & won't send out documents until cabin is assigned she stated! I will see my brother the morning I pick up the boys but dont want to 'overlook' or forget something with the excitment!

Thanks

Tina

Shmoo, I know we will have a cabin that is not freakign me out. The documentation needed for my brother to fill out is. Spoke to my TA today and as of now DCL has not assigned cabin & won't send out documents until cabin is assigned she stated! I will see my brother the morning I pick up the boys but dont want to 'overlook' or forget something with the excitment!

Thanks

Tina

I wouldn't worry about it too much. There really isn't anything in the cruise documents you have to have to check in at the port. It's just nice to have all your cruise info together in a nice little booklet.

All you HAVE to have to check in at the port will be your IDs (passports or certified birth certificates and (for those over 16) a govenrment issued photo ID) and probably the paper from your brother saying it's OK for you to take them on the cruise and make medical decisions for them.

Tina. I did not intend to scare you. Tell your brother to write the letter, take it to his bank and have the bank notary stamp it. This will make it a legal document.

Thanks guys for re-assuring me. I have never been this close to sailing & not have a cabin assigned or documents in hand when booking GTY cabins. My stress is coming since this is first Disney cruise and first time taking my nephews so I don't want anything to occur that will keep us from boarding!

Tina

If I pre pay for the 10 photo package and end up wanting fewer pics, do they offer a partial refund or are you stuck, guess I could ask for duplicates but 10 seems like a lot for just adults traveling.

I just got off the Fantasy yesterday and had pre-purchased the 10 credit package. The notification in our stateroom said it was non-refundable. I never questioned it but seriously thought about it because having pictures taken (for just a party of adults) was a joke. Only 4 photographers for formal and semi-formal nights for a ship that holds 4,000?!?!?!?! AND, no photographers coming around during dinner. So, either plan on standing in line for 20-30 minutes (which really didn't make sense with the way our evenings were scheduled) or not getting pictures. This is where I'm going to say the forbidden word........Carnival! DCL needs to take some cues from them when it comes to taking pictures. The Fantasy is huge and there was no reason that all pics had to be taken in the atrium with crazy crowds, lines, etc.

Thanks for the info, your comments helped me decide. I just located my pictures from a 2 week cruise on the Magic four years ago and I only bought 3 photos, this time it's only a 6 day cruise so think I'll pass on the photo package. I appreciate your input. Ele

Thanks for the info, your comments helped me decide. I just located my pictures from a 2 week cruise on the Magic four years ago and I only bought 3 photos, this time it's only a 6 day cruise so think I'll pass on the photo package. I appreciate your input. Ele

No problem. Hopefully it will work out financially in your favor.

Archived