Vancouver disembarkation question

Getting great flights for our Alaskan cruisetour was challenging, to say the least. We will have 11-12 hours worth of travel to get into Fairbanks from Houston. So...when I saw a direct flight from Vancouver to Houston, I jumped on it. Now I am questioning my decision. Our cruise ship (Island Princess) is scheduled to arrive in Vancouver at 7:30 AM. Our flight leaves at 11:44. I have NO idea how close the dock is to the airport. We do have transportation through Princess, so perhaps everything is fine! Do we need to consider changing our flight?

You need to check with Princess, I have notion that with their transfers they do not support anything before 1230. However, if that is the case all is not lost. If you can handle your own luggage and can self-disembark you will should have no trouble with that time. In fact the ships are tied up at Canada Place well before 0700, with self-disembarkation you will be thru Canadian customs and on the curb by 0830 latest. Then comes a 35 min trip out to YVR and you must be there a full 2 hrs pre-flight time in order to clear US customs and security.

Now if you can't handle self-disembarkation you are kind of on the cusp but by explaining your flight plans to the Passenger Services Desk you should be able to get an early disembarkation time and still make it but it is a bit tight. You may also want to consider taking a limo from Canada Place out to YVR, at $52 plus 12% tax and a tip it is likely cheaper than a Princess transfer for two or more.

Putterdude offered some good info and advice, but personally, I would never do a flight that early. I do not want to spend my vacation stressing out over departure morning. Yes, you should carry your own luggage off and many people will tell you this is an easy, do-able option but as I said, I wouldn't even do this and I live here. Nope. Any hitch or delay of any kind and you are hooped.

WE were on a NCL Cruise getting off in Vancouver on May 6, 2012, we opted to purchase their transfer to the airport. I do not know but would think your cruise ship will arrive at the same place ours did, and will use the same busses to the airport. Our flight departed Vancouver at 1:30pm, we got off the Ship at 9:20am and were at the gate only 10 minutes before boarding. We had to wait in line for room on the bus for over an hour, the ride took 40 minutes, going through the airport another hour plus. I would suggest taking a taxi for the quickest way to the airport or getting a later flight. We first had a flight for 11:45am, then after looking on these boards changed it to a later flight. (thankfully) If you get off the earliest possible from the Ship and take a taxi direct you may have no problem.

Archived