How to go about requesting an MRD table?

I would like to know also. I have requested the last 3 or 4 cruises to be placed near a window, but have never received what I wanted. I also have requested large tables because my husband and I like to meet people and the last cruise it was a table for 4 (my immediate family only) and the time before that it was my family with a couple who spoke Chinese. This was very uncomfortable. We asked to change, but they said "the tables were full."

Best suggestion I have is to visit the MDR as soon as you've boarded and ask to speak to the Maitre d' who will show you where you are seated. You can then request a change. I assume you have requested something via RCCL already in your booking. You can also contact the dining room coordinator for your ship. When I was on Navigator the email address was : nv_restaurantoperationscoordinator@rccl.com so you will need to find out the specific code for your ship.

Is it possible to request a table in the MRD, like near the window or something? How do I go about requesting? Email? Phone? Any input is much appreciated, thank you :)

It is certainly possible but it is not guaranteed that your request will be granted. Let's face it, most of us would, if asked, prefer a table near a window but there is a limit to the number of such tables and not everyone who makes a request will get one. As far as table size goes, our experience has usually been that they do their best to provide whatever the guests requests, but again there are limitations on how much they can do. The best advice is to make a visit to the dining room shortly after you board and see where and what type of table you have been assigned. If it is not to your liking, ask to see the maitre'd to request a change. There will likely be a line of others making similar requests and sometimes a switch can be achieved. It might be valuable to remember that at dinner those tables by the windows are frequently no better than those in the middle of the MDR, because it is dark outside and often the curtains are drawn.

..book a suite and then your request will have more "weight".....all about the "bucks"....;)

I agree, when we were in the Owners suite on our TA last year, I was able to get a table exactly where I wanted. :)

On the Oasis is 2010 they put my DW, DS and I on a table with all with Spanish speaking people of 9. I quickly spoke to the M'D and next day they moved us to a able with a great family from Liverpool. This year I told RCCL when booked a table with only English speaking people no matter where they are from.

Do not accept a table for 7 days that you will be unhappy with.

No matter where we sit....it's a good table when it's on a cruise! We've always had great tablemates and have stayed in touch with some. The only time we had a bad experience was at breakfast in the MDR....it was obvious that those 3 people needed a wake up ...and a separate table for themselves....they were cranky with everyone! The rest of us just ignored them and chatted on.

We've had tables by the windows before. Only thing was it was always dark out and we couldn't see a thing. :(

That is what happen to us:D I did my best and got that window to only find out that you can't see out at night. But had a family cruise two years in-a-row on the Monarch and was able to get the back booth table at the time of booking. Asked for it both times and got it both times. We were a family of 7 and it held 7 so RCCL was happy to make us happy.

It is certainly possible but it is not guaranteed that your request will be granted. Let's face it, most of us would, if asked, prefer a table near a window but there is a limit to the number of such tables and not everyone who makes a request will get one. As far as table size goes, our experience has usually been that they do their best to provide whatever the guests requests, but again there are limitations on how much they can do. The best advice is to make a visit to the dining room shortly after you board and see where and what type of table you have been assigned. If it is not to your liking, ask to see the maitre'd to request a change. There will likely be a line of others making similar requests and sometimes a switch can be achieved. It might be valuable to remember that at dinner those tables by the windows are frequently no better than those in the middle of the MDR, because it is dark outside and often the curtains are drawn.

I requested a table by the window on the freedom. I was pleasantly surprised at dinner on the first night. We had early seating so it was still daylight when we sat down. We had some great views of the ship pulling away from port and sunsets. The night before we returned back to port, when sailing along the tip of florida, we saw two carnival ships sailing out. I took many photos out the window during dinner. So depending on your dinner seating and time of year, you can get some nice views out those windows.

I requested a table by the window on the freedom. I was pleasantly surprised at dinner on the first night. We had early seating so it was still daylight when we sat down. We had some great views of the ship pulling away from port and sunsets. The night before we returned back to port, when sailing along the tip of florida, we saw two carnival ships sailing out. I took many photos out the window during dinner. So depending on your dinner seating and time of year, you can get some nice views out those windows.

Obviously there are times of the year when what you describe is possible, especially if you have early seating, but otherwise, unless you are sailing in Alaska, there are probably more nights during the year when it is dark or rapidly becoming so at dinner time. I think I and others were simply pointing out that some who think that having a window table will provide them with great views of the sunset or the outside, may be sorely disappointed with the reality that faces them when they go to dinner.:)

Obviously there are times of the year when what you describe is possible, especially if you have early seating, but otherwise, unless you are sailing in Alaska, there are probably more nights during the year when it is dark or rapidly becoming so at dinner time. I think I and others were simply pointing out that some who think that having a window table will provide them with great views of the sunset or the outside, may be sorely disappointed with the reality that faces them when they go to dinner.:)

I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just pointing out there are times when it can be really nice to have that seat by the window. :)

To me this is one place that RCCL is really lacking. I cruise solo and always request a large table when booking. I have never been seated at a large table. On my last cruise I even went to the maitre d as soon as I boarded and he said I was at a large table and then when I went to dinner the first evening I was sat at a 4 top by myself. It took me until the 3rd day to get moved to a table with other people and only after I refused the menu and insisted very nicely and quietly that I be moved. I have given up hope of this ever not being a problem.

We've never requested a specific table...or asked to be moved. So far, so good! Nice tablemates everytime. It's not the table that makes dinner special, it's the COMPANY at the table! So, no worries! Go, eat, and enjoy! We've been near the windows, but the conversation is enough to distract you from the view....so we really don't care where in the dining room we are.....we can ocean gaze anytime! We enjoy the conversation!

You have hit on one of the truly great elements of cruising....meeting interesting folks...The other key, is that you are dining, not eating. The entire experience, nightly, makes it an event unto itself. Others go purely to eat, we go to dine...

Actually had a window seating on our first cruise - but then realized we were right where the smokers congregated - having a puff before late seating! After that realization, were quite happy with having the blinds pulled. However, if we had faced into the dining room, we wouldn't have had to see them but we would then have had a view of the serving station! The bottom line for me is that I didn't have to cook it or clean dinner up and I was not sitting with anyone's children, and it was great! We had a great table for 8 with a variety of ages(20 something newly weds to 80 year old couple from Ireland) and we laughed and had a great time all week! It is all in the attitude!

To me this is one place that RCCL is really lacking. I cruise solo and always request a large table when booking. I have never been seated at a large table. On my last cruise I even went to the maitre d as soon as I boarded and he said I was at a large table and then when I went to dinner the first evening I was sat at a 4 top by myself. It took me until the 3rd day to get moved to a table with other people and only after I refused the menu and insisted very nicely and quietly that I be moved. I have given up hope of this ever not being a problem.

Nonna5 ~ I think that's really mean of royal to put a single cruiser on their own. How difficult can it really be ? I wonder if its because large groups travelling together nab the big tables so there's hardly any spaces for 1-2 people to join? I've only cruised once (with mum and son) and we had a big table with 5 others. Was really good fun! Hope on your next cruise they find you a nice big group.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Nonna5 ~ I think that's really mean of royal to put a single cruiser on their own. How difficult can it really be ? I wonder if its because large groups travelling together nab the big tables so there's hardly any spaces for 1-2 people to join? I've only cruised once (with mum and son) and we had a big table with 5 others. Was really good fun! Hope on your next cruise they find you a nice big group.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

I cruise solo all the time and RCCL is the only cruise line I have had a problem with. Usually they change my table rather quickly but not this time. On my first solo cruise six months after my husband passed away they put me at a 4 top with a honeymoon couple. Hopefully they will get it right eventually.

Archived