Flying in to meet cruise ship in Aruba

VT Hokie Cruiser

Our extended family is planning a March 2013 Panama Canal cruise on Island Princess. One couple has a scheduling challenge that will force them to miss the first three of the 14 days. They are considering flying to Aruba to join the ship on the fourth day. It seems that this would be allowable. Has anyone else ever done this? Also, how difficult will it be to find a hotel near port for one night during peak season (?) in Aruba? Thanks!

Hi there VT Hokie. I'm a JMU Duke. I've never boarded a cruise after it has started but I have spent a lot of time in Aruba. We have booked one night stays at Divi Village and at Manchebo. Both are very nice places, and just a few minutes from the cruise port. We cruised on Island Princess a few years ago to Alaska. It is not one of the new super sized ships with all of the bells and whistles, but we loved it. Hope you have a great trip.

They need to call the cruiseline and set this up...it's doable, but I'm sure there are restrictions and what-not to deal with. The cruiseline is the best source for info on how to do this! The ship will need to know that they are NOT a "no-show"...that they WILL be arriving later! Call the cruiseline!

Aruba is a small place. There are no hotels that are very far from where the ship will be docked. Agree, call the cruise line to see if this can be arranged, and when the dates are booked, make a hotel reservation.

I am sure they know they will need passports.

Closest hotel to the airport would be Talk of the Town which caters mainly to a European clientèle.

A bit further away, but closest to the cruise terminal, and nicer, is the Renaissance Resort.

• 2 weeks later...

The closest hotel to the cruise pier is Mariott's Rennaissance. A beautiful resort in a great location just across from the cruise pier. Lots of shopping and dining walking distance from the hotel. The other hotels mentioned (Manchebo, Talk of the Town, Divi Village) are further and not in walking distance.

Archived