Kindle, Nook, other, neither?

I'm thinking about getting one of those tablets a lot of people have on which you can read books and newpapers and play games. Some people like the Kindle and others the Nook, and my stepmother has something similar but isn't either. Is it reasonable to believe I can buy one of these devises for about 200.00 that I can use for reading and playing Scrabble? What else can you do with it?

Paid $100 for my Kindle Touch. I can read, play games, and listen to audio books. Love it!

I have an Ipad 2 and LOVE it! The only downside I have found is you can't use it in bright sunlight. Do research and figure out which would be right for you. I like mine for downloading movies, tv shows, games, books, and having total internet access. I also do not have a cell phone so found a wonderful app, Textnow, that has free text and you can make calls. I went on vacation without my husband and was still able to talk to him.

I'm thinking about getting one of those tablets a lot of people have on which you can read books and newpapers and play games. Some people like the Kindle and others the Nook, and my stepmother has something similar but isn't either. Is it reasonable to believe I can buy one of these devises for about 200.00 that I can use for reading and playing Scrabble? What else can you do with it?

Amazon has the refurbished kindle fire for $169. Two weeks ago there was a one day sale for $139 that prompted me to get one for my wife.

Assuming that you have wifi you can basically do almost anything on the fire that you can do on a Pc. As others have mentioned a regular kindle is best for reading. My wife now has both...thanks to mothers day. Myself and my 7 year old daughter have had a fire since Xmas.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I prefer a real book but the advantage of having many books on a small reader is great. I have a Blackberry Playbook that I got for $199. It's got a great colour screen, I can check my emails, Facebook, play games and it's a Kobo reader as well. I took it on my last trip and it was great.

I have a Kindle Touch I use for reading. I love the e-ink. I easily get eye-strain reading on a computer, but the e-ink is just like ink on paper. I have a separate light for it for nighttime reading.

I also have a 7" Lenovo Ideapad A1 tablet that I use to play games on and access the internet/email while I'm not home.

My android phone is my go-to for a quick internet lookup, and also can become a wifi hotspot if needed. I carry around all three almost all the time.

They each have different uses. I can't read books on my tablet. I get eye strain and a headache. I do have some word games on my Kindle Touch.

I have a Nook Color and LOVE it. I've had it for quite some time and am still satisified. In the beginning I used it more for reading books but now I use it mostly for games (this drives my husband crazy). I've downloaded quite a few game apps and they are reasonably priced. On the other hand, I have friends who LOVE their Kindle. It's just a matter of personal preference between the two but you will probably enjoy which ever you choose.

I prefer my Kindle because I find it offers the friendlier user interface and the better bookstore. Amazon is just really good at selling things (including books) online, since that's all they do, whereas Barnes and Noble was primarily a brick and mortar store that got into the e-reader thing a little later. Some don't mind, but for me personally Amazon is just the easier experience. Plus, if you are an Amazon Prime member, you can get one free book from the Prime Lending Library on your Kindle every 30 days.

I have the Kindle Touch for the beach, for using on buses/public transport (and for cruising of course!) for all the reasons folks here have listed:it's inexpensive, and you can read an e-ink screen even in direct sunlight (not true of tablet screens on Kindle Fire/Nook Tablet/iPad). I don't worry about it getting sand on it or getting damaged, because it was cheap and can be easily replaced. I also find that even with a little sand in it, it's a fairly foolproof machine and doesn't damage easily. I get the 3-G version because there's no monthly fee and when you're travelling (or say, in a cruise port) you can download new books from the store without needing ship's internet or wi-fi, for no extra cost.

I also have an iPad, but that is for flying/business trips/very long bus rides. It's great because you can watch movies, read magazines in color, play games, write email or papers, etc. But it's expensive and I worry about it getting damaged or stolen, or making me a target for theft (person with high-end tablet probably has other good stuff to steal). So I don't tote it around too many places. It's machinery is more delicate, so I don't take it to the beach where it could be damaged. I also don't have the 3G version, since that requires a monthly fee for the iPad, and there are plenty of things to do on the iPad when you're not connected to wi-fi.

I have a nook color, simple nook and now an iPad. I like all three for different reasons. You really have to ask yourself what you want to do. My first thought was I wanted an iPad but salespeople scared me as well as the price so i chose a nook color. I love that I can download books to take with me and I can access the Internet in a hot spot. The Internet is not like a laptop but it's not bad. What I hated was I couldn't sit by the pool and read in the sunlight and I see a lot of free books on ereader news for the kindle that I can not get on nook, they were geared for the kindle. My husband bought me nook simple for Christmas and its great for outside, smaller and lighter than my nook color. I also am not going to be out a lot if a $79 reader gets wet by the pool than one I have hundreds invested. They have now improved it with a glow light which I think I'll be wanting that in the future. A little later I get the iPhone 4s and now I'm really wanting an iPad which my husband who can't say no got me as an early mother's day gift.I'm really think the iPad and either a simple kindle or nook is the perfect combo for me. I love my reading and Internet devises.

Like many who have already responded, I have multiple devices (nook color, kindle, and iPad). Each have their strengths and weaknesses. Like other posters have said I prefer the iPad overall but it's larger than the readers and battery life is shorter between charges. If you only want to read then I would go with kindle. Small, light weight, and great interphase. However, I like to read at night with lights out which makes the nook color a better choice for me on a cruise. I have also "rooted" my nook color which allows it to function as a nook or an android tablet. That way I can use the kindle app on it which I prefer over the nook. If interested in rooting a nook just google it and many sites are dedicated to that option. Also with all the new devices coming out you can get a kindle for about $79 and a nook color for $169 or less on Craigslist. I think the kindle fire is still around $200

HTH,

Terry

I'm not a techie with lots of toys. I was a hold out with books - I LOVE real books. However, after taking 12 books on one cruise, with the weight and amount of luggage space they took - I switched to a Nook.

I did a lot of research before buying. Most of my reading is done outside, so that was a big factor. My Nook Touch doesn't have a glare, and is great for outdoor/sunshine reading. It is like reading a real book, it doesn't have the flicker of smartphones/laptops/notebooks/tablets - the flicker is basically unnoticeable, but makes it hard for some people to use those for long periods of time.

I already have a smartphone with games and internet, so I didn't need to have that with my Nook - I wanted an eReader. And let me say - I love it!!! I love having literally hundreds of books at my fingertips. I love the portability and size of it. I bought an easel style cover so it sits upright on a table or on the ship deck. It's great!

I hope you find the right reader for you. :)

I have a nook (first generation) and love that for reading ebooks and would recommend the nook over the kindle to anyone, but with these first generation devices, you can't play games. For that, you'll need an ereader tablet (either Kindle or nook), a smart phone, or a full tablet (nook and kindle tablets are scaled down/not full tablets).

Yes, you can get the nook or kindle tablets for about $200.

Downside to all of the above is that if you're outside, you'll have a hard time seeing the screen (except for dedicated ereaders).

You can probably get a 7-inch tablet for about $200 as well, and then you can download whatever app (nook or kindle) you want, you will likely have full access to the android market (now called Google Play). Or spend a little more and get a 10-inch tablet. I prefer my 10-inch tablet to the 7-inch, and it is still more portable than people give it credit for.

I have a nook color.. which I do like very much. I use it for reading books, accessing the internet, playing scrabble (or words with friends) either by myself or interactively with others (mostly facebook friends). As others have alluded to in this post, the nook color is impossible to read around the pool in bright sunlight with or without sunglasses. Also, in comparing the internet on the nook with the internet display on my wife's i-pad2, the ipad wins hands down in both the presentation of the pages as well as the speed of the processor. In response to the responses of those using the android phone as their main medium for their reading and playing games, and internet access, etc, it is a personal preference kind of thing. I have a blackberry phone , my wife has an android phone. I used to read books on my blackberry prior to getting my nook and after awhile reading on that small screen gave me eye strain. the android screen is a little bigger, not by much, but if you are not accustomed to reading on such a small screen, you might want to re-evaluate that idea.also on a cruise you probably will have your wifi turned off on the device to avoid humungous charges, so the internet is a moot point anyway! again, personal preference. enjoy your cruise, We are going on the carnival dream june 9 2012. we are looking forward to ours, also

I have the Nook Tablet and I love it. You can download books from the library or the Nook store. You can also borrow books from your Nook friends. Magazines that you subscribe to are also available on the Nook. The Words with Friends app is a lot of fun. I usually have several games going. Also you can use the internet at the ports. I used it at a Starbucks in Cozumel. For the price of a coffee I had unlimited use of the internet. I bought a stylus to write with because the keyboard is quite small compared to a computer. We are going on a 12 day cruise in June and I am going to download a lot of books and magazines for the trip.

You have to consider that if you get more than a basic simple touch Nook which can only display books/mags and sort of connect to the net-- that if you have kids, your Nook may well be appropriated by them! Don't buy anything attractive to teenagers or young boys! I love my Nook. It is something also to think about-- that if you and your Mom and friends all have the same ereader, you can "lend" books to each other. At least you can on Nook.

I had a Kindle 2 that I gave to my daughter when I bought the K3. I love both of them but wanted the smaller size of the K3. My husband bought me the Fire for my birthday and I love it too! I use the Fire for internet, streaming movies, and games and the K3 for reading. I prefer reading on the K3 -- I don't like to read on the backlit screen. But,I work on a computer all day so it's harder on the eyes.

I fought buying an ereader for a while because I like books too but I will never go back. This is way better than carrying a lot of books and if I finish one I have another available all the time :)

Do yourself a favor, if you don't already have one, get an Android smartphone. You can read books in one hand, play games, watch shows, take pictures and video, use GPS for driving directions, surf cruise critic and make phone calls. You can even play music on Pandora while you are reading. Just make sure to put it airplane mode on the ship to avoid astronomical cell bills. Seriously, I used to have a kindle and GPS unit in my car and got rid of both when I got a smartphone.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

I was going to write the same thing, but you said it all. I got the bigger screen version. I've had it about 4 months and just noticed it will read aloud to you and hilight it in yellow as it does. No telling what else it does...lol

You can get a basic kindle now for only $79. There are some games that you can get for it as well. If all you want is to read and a little bit of games, this is a great option. If you want to watch movies and email and so forth, you prob need to look at a Kindle Fire or the Nook family. If you are just reading, I would go with the least expensive option.

Archived