Carnival Fantasy out of Charleston

May 4th – May 8th, 2012

Captain: Roberto Costi

Hotel Director: Mark Hoffman

Cruise Director: Risa Barnes

Our Cruise History:

23rd overall, 9th with Carnival

Day One

After dropping our dog off at the vet’s, we hit the road around 7:30 a.m. We arrived at the port around 10:45. We were able to pull into the parking lot and get in line for parking. We waited around 45 minutes before we were able to begin actually parking. Parking is $75 for the week and if you have a handicap tag it’s free.

We were parked, on the shuttle, and in the check-in line in no time. I don’t think we even had to wait in line before seeing an agent. They won’t let you into your cabins until 1:30 so we had to carry our luggage with us. We only brought a carry-on each and one large duffle bag so that wasn’t too bad. We were eating lunch by 12:30 and since we’d been on the Fantasy before, we just sat around waiting for 1:30. At 1:15 we decided to see maybe we could get into our cabin, and they had the doors open so we found our cabin and began unpacking.

We met Tim, aka, Timrod, and Jennifer, aka, KATJEN from our roll call.

Food

My favorite desserts were the bitter & blanc and the soufflé. The other nights I stuck with ice cream. My husband had the chocolate melting cake, his favorite, and the cheese cake. On formal night you may want to order more than one lobster tail or maybe both the lobster and prime rib…as you can see there’s not much to the lobster.

2027595230097872471S600x600Q85.jpg

Pizza & The Deli: The Deli has a good variety of grilled and cold sandwiches. Pizza of course was good and again, a good variety.

Lido Grill: The grill at the Lido had the usual hamburgers and hot dogs and the Mongolian Grill was also located on the Lido. I tried that the first day and it was quite good

Celebration Dining Room: We had Your Time Dining and usually went around 6:00. We never had to wait and had a table for two every night except one, when we met up with a couple from our Roll Call, Susan, aka, lexisgram, and her husband, Brad.

Bitter & Blanc: 2737178470097872471S600x600Q85.jpg

Chocolate Melting Cake: 2340646840097872471S600x600Q85.jpg

Day Two

This was our first sea day so after breakfast, we commandeered some chairs on the Serenity Deck…we were actually quite lucky to find two together on the front row! I spent the day in the sun while Mike spent the day in the hot tub.

Day Three, Nassau

After disembarking, we made our way to the bus or Jitney to spend the day at Breezes. We caught the one going to “Beaches” at the corner of Bay Street and St. George Street. The fare is $1.25 per person each way, exact change only.

We got to Breezes and bought our day passes, $60 pp for the day. This includes use of facility, towels, beach area, and all the food & drinks you could possibly hold. The jerk chicken is very good, messy, but very tasty if you like hot & spicy. After heading back to the ship, we took some pics of the other ships docked with us, one being the Dream and RCCL’s Oasis of the Seas. That ship is huge! Yes, I got pics!

2511327070097872471S600x600Q85.jpg

2275180900097872471S600x600Q85.jpg

2698578910097872471S600x600Q85.jpg

Day Four, Freeport

In Freeport, we took the taxi/bus to Our Lucaya. There we got a day pass at the guard station to the Radisson for the day, $10pp for use of the facility and the beach. No food, drinks or towels included here, but this place is beautiful with very relaxing areas all around. There are several pools including an infinity pool. There is a grill and restaurant on the grounds. They don’t take cash only credit cards. There is also a little grill around the corner and behind the Radisson called Iries and Billy Joe’s Restaurant on the beach beside the Radisson, so there are some other options.

2904390320097872471S600x600Q85.jpg

Infinity Pool: 2967164530097872471S600x600Q85.jpg

2499995460097872471S600x600Q85.jpg

Day Five, Sea Day

Finding a chair on the Serenity Deck this day was a little more difficult, though I did get one. This was also packing day, so some of the day was spent doing that.

The Ship

This old girl is in pretty good shape for her age. She was actually our first Carnival cruise back in the early 90s and although she’s been retrofitted and is different from our first time with her, we still enjoy sailing on the Fantasy.

2898581970097872471S600x600Q85.jpg

2905148420097872471S600x600Q85.jpg

Serenity Deck: 2837806080097872471S600x600Q85.jpg

Atrium Bar: 2867344870097872471S600x600Q85.jpg

Our Cabin: We chose E85, an inside cabin since we’ve been on the Fantasy before and really didn’t need a balcony or window for these ports. It was around the corner from the Atrium bar where you embark and very convenient to the Universe Lounge and the Celebration Dining Room. I decided to shower in the spa because the showers are much more roomier. I have to say, though that the towels in the spa are the same size and just as rough as the ones in the cabin. Other cruise lines’ towels in the spa are bigger and much softer!

Our cabin stewardess, Dewi, was excellent. She and her assistant did a great job of keeping our cabin cleaned and our bed always made up beautifully.

Entertainment

The Welcome Aboard Show was nice, even though we’d seen it before. We got a sneak peak at the two comedians on board and we enjoyed both of them. They were Kenny Miller and John Wesley Austin. We caught both of their adult only shows, but only John Wesley Austin’s family show. Both are quite funny.

We saw the production show, Ticket to Ride, which was a tribute to the Beatles and pretty good.

We stopped in on the Karaoke one night and there were a few pretty good singers. We sat in on the Gender Game and the Scavenger Hunt which was very entertaining.

Disembarkation

This was just as quick and easy as embarkation. We did self assist, carrying our luggage off ourselves. We were off the ship, through customs and on the road home by around 7:30.

Overall we enjoyed this cruise even though we took it last year. It is a convenient, easy cruise for us with an easy drive from Charlotte. I’m sure we’ll be taking it again.

Thanks for a great review! We are looking forward to seeing the changes on the Fantasy and the quick trip between Charlotte and Charleston. (no airfare yeah!)

Thanks everyone...Mom07, it is nice to not have to bother with airports. I'm sure you already know, but the drive down is so easy. You will enjoy this cruise.

Ah, the Fantasy. That ship has great memories for us. We sailed it also when it was a new ship for our first cruise. While her home port was Mobile, as sailed it again and renewed our vows for our 25th anniversariy, even getting the cabin we had on our first trip.

We have sailed on larger ships that may offer additional perks, but the Fantasy has a lot of little shops, nooks, etc. and is a great ship. We're sailing her sister ship Elation on June 2nd and looking forward to see how it compares.

Thanks for the review! We cruise on the Fantasy in 60-something days. I can't decide what to do in Nassau- we love the idea of an All-Inclusive at Breeze's but are toying with the idea of the British Colonial Hilton. Do you have any more pictures of Breeze's that you could post?

Thank you :)

Thanks for the review with pictures:) The Fantasy was our second cruise...first Carnival...and I love the ship...We've sailed her a few more times...it's always a nice trip!

Being from near Raleigh..we have around a 5 hour drive down there...much easier than the drive to florida and a million times better than flying:eek:

Thanks for the review! We cruise on the Fantasy in 60-something days. I can't decide what to do in Nassau- we love the idea of an All-Inclusive at Breeze's but are toying with the idea of the British Colonial Hilton. Do you have any more pictures of Breeze's that you could post?

Thank you :)

We went to the Hilton last year and enjoyed that also. Personally, I liked it a little better. You get a $30 voucher for food and drinks, but they have a little "restaurant" area with tables where you can sit and eat. At Breezes there weren't any tables. Also you can walk to the Hilton very easily. Here a few shots of the Hilton:

2984998650097872471S600x600Q85.jpg

2860707240097872471S600x600Q85.jpg

Entire album from last year: 2914528900097872471fJDRnA_th.jpg

Thanks for review and pictures. We are planning to go Nov after thanksgiving. Son lives in Charleston so we can spend time with him first. Plus no flying.

How perfect!

Thanks for the review with pictures:) The Fantasy was our second cruise...first Carnival...and I love the ship...We've sailed her a few more times...it's always a nice trip!

Being from near Raleigh..we have around a 5 hour drive down there...much easier than the drive to florida and a million times better than flying:eek:

Absolutely...and it's an easy drive, we got there in no time from Charlotte. After two cruises out of Charleston, I'm ready to give up flying altogether.

We're near Fayetteville, so I was curious about this cruise as well since it's such a short drive for us. :)

Thanks for the review!

Archived