Tux accessories?

DH just bought his first tuxedo for evening formal wear. He also bought a pleated shirt and bow tie, and a pair of patent leather oxfords. He will wear his Tiffany cufflinks.

Does he need a belt or suspenders? Cumberbund? I don't think he would be interested in nor need a vest.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Cumberbund. On board you can buy matching cumberbund and bow ties. I think it looks nice if the colour of these matches their partners dress.

Sandy in Spain

DH just bought his first tuxedo for evening formal wear. He also bought a pleated shirt and bow tie, and a pair of patent leather oxfords. He will wear his Tiffany cufflinks.

Does he need a belt or suspenders? Cumberbund? I don't think he would be interested in nor need a vest.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Yes, he should most definitely get a cummerbund.

Suspenders are not necessary.

Keith

Thoughts? Suggestions?

He needs a belt or suspenders - should have one or the other, but not both ;) Cumberbunds are traditionally meant for wear with suspenders, not a belt, but are pretty common regardless - if the jacket is single breasted.

He needs a belt or suspenders - should have one or the other, but not both ;) Cumberbunds are traditionally meant for wear with suspenders, not a belt, but are pretty common regardless - if the jacket is single breasted.

I have no idea how one would wear a belt with Tuxedo Pants as they normally do not come with loops for a belt and there is really no reason to wear suspenders either. You normally can make adjustments to the waist if necessary from inside the trousers. Most people including myself just wear a cummerbund.

Keith

they normally do not come with loops for a belt

Very true, and traditionally true, but they were certainly available at least for a time - the whims of fashion. Also to allow me the bad joke about using a belt and suspenders. Also true that suspenders are really just for fashion these days (actually, much like a belt) - most aren't actually needed to hold up the pants - but I like the look of them.

DH's tux doesn't have belt loops, and he's somehow managed to keep his pants up without suspenders.

His cumberbund is black; matching my dress looks a little too HS prom for me.

He has cufflinks and studs from both my father and my maternal grandfather--that's very special to me.

This subject comes up once in a while...less now than in past years as not so many men wear tux on formal nights now.

But, although I know it's not nice to correct spelling, I think a lot of people misspell cummerbund because they pronounce it wrong. The word is cummerbund, not cumberbund. Trifling point to some people I do realize

Just as style is a personal thing, cummerbund or vest is also a personal choice. I have both for my husband, although he doesn't own a tux, I don't care for the rental accessories and we do have those. My son does own a tux and he has both, plus bow tie and black silk tie.

I do love a man in a tux, cummerbund or vest, bow tie or regular tie :)

This subject comes up once in a while...less now than in past years as not so many men wear tux on formal nights now.

But, although I know it's not nice to correct spelling, I think a lot of people misspell cummerbund because they pronounce it wrong. The word is cummerbund, not cumberbund. Trifling point to some people I do realize

Just as style is a personal thing, cummerbund or vest is also a personal choice. I have both for my husband, although he doesn't own a tux, I don't care for the rental accessories and we do have those. My son does own a tux and he has both, plus bow tie and black silk tie.

I do love a man in a tux, cummerbund or vest, bow tie or regular tie :)

They did misspell it.

Keith

Yes, I misspelled it, which I found out from Google after I posted, "Did you mean cummerbund?" :)

I guess we'll have to pick one up. Do they come in waist sizes?

As KS noted normally they are adjustable but sometimes they might come in one of a couple of sizes.

Keith

I agree about the matchy matchy for cummerbund/bowtie to lady's dress. We never cared for that sort of thing but if it pleases you, by all means....... :)

I also don't care for the matchy matchy look. Also Don't really care for cummerbunds I really like the look of the braces. :)

Archived