Crown Princess Galveston departure

Dambuster

Hi,

The boss and I are booked on The Crown Princess departing from Galveston in Jan 2013. Can anyone please provide any information about this departure port, as in the past we have always departed from Fort Lauderdale.We are having to fly into Houston from the UK. Thanks in anticipation.

Hi,

The boss and I are booked on The Crown Princess departing from Galveston in Jan 2013. Can anyone please provide any information about this departure port, as in the past we have always departed from Fort Lauderdale.We are having to fly into Houston from the UK. Thanks in anticipation.

Rule #1: Arrive in Galveston the day before sailaway (you probably already knew that.)

Rule #2 - Enjoy Galveston's Strand district. http://www.galveston.com/downtowntour/

Hotels: The Tremont is a four star hotel in the Strand and walking distance to the port. http://www.galveston.com/islandhotels/ The web site has a ton of information about Galveston. http://www.galveston.com/whattodo/

I'm an early adopter - Booked Crown as soon Princess declared their return.:)

Hi,

Family connection?

http://www.dambusters.org.uk/

I also suggest arriving a day early. I stay at the Harbor House. It is an easy walk to the ship. http://harborhousepier21.com/

This webcam is mounted atop the roof of the Harbor House hotel. http://www.galveston.com/cruisecam/

This webcam is pointed at the dock used by Carnival. I assume this is where the Crown will dock. http://www.galveston.com/pier23cam/

We also stayed at Harbor House - be sure to pre-book the free shuttle to get to the ship. This books up fast.

Also, be prepared for long delays getting off the ship at the end of the cruise. I think many people drive to this port and want to be the first off the ship. It was our experience that over half the ship we were on elected for the self serve disembarkation, making the process very disorganized and long. Be sure to consider this when booking your return flights.

We have sailed out of Galveston recently and there were delays leaving and coming back due to fog. We drove from San Antonio to the port so not a huge issue for us. We did go the day before and stayed in a hotel. Ship was not at port yet when we arrived at 10:30 am (fog on outskirts of Galveston had the port closed). Ship finally able to dock about noon and we started boarding about 2 pm. Coming back was MUCH longer delay. We were stuck outside of galveston (just sitting there) while port remained closed due to fog. We did not get to come into port till after 1 pm and not off the ship till after 3 pm. LOTS of people that were flying out of Houston had to scramble to change flights. I would HIGHLY suggest not booking your return flight till the day after ship returns to be completely safe. Fog seems to be a huge issue at this port and delays are more common than on time departures and arrivals. It is best to be prepared for delays (staying extra night in Galveston or Houston) then to have to scramble to change flights, etc. Especially coming from overseas. If you are going to have transfer to and from Houston to Galveston already set up, you can book your hotel at the end of the cruise for one of the many that offer free shuttle to the airport (in Houston). That way, you can just get dropped off at the airport and take the complimentary shuttle to the hotel for the night and then to the airport the next morning.

Rule #1: Arrive in Galveston the day before sailaway (you probably already knew that.)

Rule #2 - Enjoy Galveston's Strand district. http://www.galveston.com/downtowntour/

Hotels: The Tremont is a four star hotel in the Strand and walking distance to the port. http://www.galveston.com/islandhotels/ The web site has a ton of information about Galveston. http://www.galveston.com/whattodo/

I'm an early adopter - Booked Crown as soon Princess declared their return.:)

I do agree about the Tremont , and have enjoyed staying there a couple of times ..

Srpilo

Hi,

IAH is about 70 miles from Galveston, so if you have to fly into there I suggest trying to get Princess bus transfers. If you can fly into Hobby its only 40 miles and transport will be cheaper. In as much as the fog issue, it does sometimes become a problem, but it's nowhere near the frequency you might expect. A bigger issue in the past there has been Customs & Border Patrol immigration clearance. This can be long, or short...who knows why.

Hi Stevesan

Sadly, no blood family connection, but I served as a groundcrew Flight Sergeant on No: 617 (Dambusters) Squadron, Royal Air Force for a good number of years. Stationed at RAF Lossiemouth in Scotland. However, the Squadron, both Aircrew and Groundcrew, do become your second family. I was especially proud to serve with 617 Sqn.

Thanks for all of your replies so far. We are arranging our own flights into Houston, and will go for the Princess transfer to Galveston. THere are numerous comments of fog. The last time I was in Galveston was in 1992 when I was in The Royal Air Force, and went with a Nimrod MR2 aircraft to take place in the "Wings Over Houston Air Show" along with the Confederate Air Force. We were accommodated on Sea Wall Boulevard on Galveston, and encountered fog every morning we drove up to Hobby Airfield. Thanks all again.

IAH is about 70 miles from Galveston, so if you have to fly into there I suggest trying to get Princess bus transfers. If you can fly into Hobby its only 40 miles and transport will be cheaper. In as much as the fog issue, it does sometimes become a problem, but it's nowhere near the frequency you might expect. A bigger issue in the past there has been Customs & Border Patrol immigration clearance. This can be long, or short...who knows why.

We live down here in SE Texas and cruise often out of Galveston due to the convenience. I just got back from a short 5 day cruise on Carnival last Saturday. We were off the ship by 9:40, got a porter and picked up our luggage, zipped through customs (2 ppl ahead of us!!!) and in our car by 10:15! It was the quickest we have ever gotten through customs anywhere!

I will say that this year we had a very, very mild winter which contributes to fog issues. I do agree with the poster on the fog issues as well. Fog is an issue at many ports, not just Galveston. The bigger issue in Galveston is the Coast Guard that closes the port down. When we sailed on Mariner of the Seas in November, the Captain told us that they were working with the Coast Guard on the closures. I hope they figure it out!

We live down here in SE Texas and cruise often out of Galveston due to the convenience. I just got back from a short 5 day cruise on Carnival last Saturday. We were off the ship by 9:40, got a porter and picked up our luggage, zipped through customs (2 ppl ahead of us!!!) and in our car by 10:15! It was the quickest we have ever gotten through customs anywhere!

I will say that this year we had a very, very mild winter which contributes to fog issues. I do agree with the poster on the fog issues as well. Fog is an issue at many ports, not just Galveston. The bigger issue in Galveston is the Coast Guard that closes the port down. When we sailed on Mariner of the Seas in November, the Captain told us that they were working with the Coast Guard on the closures. I hope they figure it out!

Thanks CGBCruiser

I recall your previous post on their effort to resolve iisues of closure!

It seems I saw a CC post within the last couple of months,

that indicated on a Sunday in the fog

the Mariner and Magic did get into Galveston.

So maybe there has been a change in policy regarding the fog

with the Coast Guard, RCCL, Carnival and the pilots!

Hopefully so!!!!:)

We have also sailed out of and into Galveston many times.

We have never experienced problems in Galveston.

Our time will come Im sure,

but our bad experiences have been in Florida(Ft Lauderdale, Miami and Orlando/Pt Canaveral) and in Europe for various reasons!

Reasons have been strikes, missed flights, rude port contractors, rude TSA officals, cruise lines not getting bags off efficiently, weather issues, Customs not showing up, transfer issues/almost missing departures, cancelled flights and etc.

When you travel

these all can happen everywhere

and can happen anytime anywhere!

Make your plans!

Enjoy your cruise!

Buy insurance regardless when you travel!

Patience is essential, attitude is everything.

A good attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure!

Being happy does not mean that everything is perfect.

It means you have decided to look beyond

the imperfections of you’re expectations.

Toes in the water, Ass in the sand,

Not a worry in the world,

a Cold Beer in my Hand, Life is Good Today!!!

Zac Brown Band!!

I recall your previous post on their effort to resolve iisues of closure!

It seems I saw a CC post within the last couple of months,

that indicated on a Sunday in the fog

the Mariner and Magic did get into Galveston.

So maybe there has been a change in policy regarding the fog

with the Coast Guard, RCCL, Carnival and the pilots!

Hopefully so!!!!:)

I did see that as the season progressed those ships were coming into port in the fog! It was duly noted! I have seen many pics and videos of ships coming into port in heavy fog in Galveston in the past. Let's hope they can work all of it out. The technology that these ships have enables them to actually dock at the pier with no visuals! Of course, that is not the perfect scenario but definitely can be done!

Hi Stevesan

Sadly, no blood family connection, but I served as a groundcrew Flight Sergeant on No: 617 (Dambusters) Squadron, Royal Air Force for a good number of years. Stationed at RAF Lossiemouth in Scotland. However, the Squadron, both Aircrew and Groundcrew, do become your second family. I was especially proud to serve with 617 Sqn.

As well you should have been.

I, too, was Air Force. Twenty years and one day.:D

Thanks for all of your replies so far. We are arranging our own flights into Houston, and will go for the Princess transfer to Galveston. THere are numerous comments of fog. The last time I was in Galveston was in 1992 when I was in The Royal Air Force, and went with a Nimrod MR2 aircraft to take place in the "Wings Over Houston Air Show" along with the Confederate Air Force. We were accommodated on Sea Wall Boulevard on Galveston, and encountered fog every morning we drove up to Hobby Airfield. Thanks all again.

Nimrod were such great aircraft...just got to spend the weekend with the new RC-135 Brits training at Omaha at Offutt AFB. We are kindred souls. Back to cruising...we live in SA and drive to Galveston to port...very convenient now that Princess and RCL are sailing from there again...having said that we have personally never experienced any issues (except for that one time we were on the Conquest and Hurricane Ike washed our cars away while we were stuck at sea)....how often does that occur??? Other than that, VERY convenient for those of us wanting to drive to port...3 hours door to ship. :)

• 4 weeks later...
We have sailed out of Galveston recently and there were delays leaving and coming back due to fog. We drove from San Antonio to the port so not a huge issue for us. We did go the day before and stayed in a hotel. Ship was not at port yet when we arrived at 10:30 am (fog on outskirts of Galveston had the port closed). Ship finally able to dock about noon and we started boarding about 2 pm. Coming back was MUCH longer delay. We were stuck outside of galveston (just sitting there) while port remained closed due to fog. We did not get to come into port till after 1 pm and not off the ship till after 3 pm. LOTS of people that were flying out of Houston had to scramble to change flights. I would HIGHLY suggest not booking your return flight till the day after ship returns to be completely safe. Fog seems to be a huge issue at this port and delays are more common than on time departures and arrivals. It is best to be prepared for delays (staying extra night in Galveston or Houston) then to have to scramble to change flights, etc. Especially coming from overseas. If you are going to have transfer to and from Houston to Galveston already set up, you can book your hotel at the end of the cruise for one of the many that offer free shuttle to the airport (in Houston). That way, you can just get dropped off at the airport and take the complimentary shuttle to the hotel for the night and then to the airport the next morning.

This fog issue concerns me. Is it bad year round, or just in January? I plan on leaving out of Galveston in February.

Felicia

Hi Stevesan,

I served a total of 32 years in The Royal Air Force as an Aircraft Avionics engineer finest time of my life!!!!

The similarities never stop.

I, too, was Avionics: Radar/Navigation. The initial training, nine months in classrooms for six hours a day six days a week paid off both during and after my 20 years in the USAF. It, combined with line and shop experience, helped provide the basic skills for a marvelous 24 year career with Texas Instruments.

I was at Wings that year. Loved the show the Nimrod put on.

It can or can't be bad. Depends 100% on weather conditions.

Some years we have fog in January and February and other years we have little or none.

Get travel insurance for no matter where you go.

I always get travel insurance. Murphy's Law prohibits me from doing so! If I don't get it, I'm sure I would not be able to travel. :D

Felicia

Archived