How would you rate NCL Lobster Dinner?

Happy HALer

How would characterize the MDR Lobster Dinner if that were only choice?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. How would characterize the MDR Lobster Dinner if that were only choice?

• I wouldn't miss it.
    • Good night for specialty reservation.
    • I would rather hit the Buffet.
    • Room service would be better than the Lobster.

have been on NCL a few times as you can see and let me tell you DO NOT EXPECT much on lobster night, in the dining room anyway, it is a little, and i mean little bigger then a shrimp, they give you half a tail with some other fish so you better tell the waiter to bring at least 3 to 4 dinners to make up for one tail!:mad:

Best post so far. So much passion and conviction. I love it. I don't know why, but I found myself reading the post with a bit of a British accent.

Bingo, you got it right - what made you feel my post has a GB/UK spin on it, LOL ?? Yes, as a matter of fact - my birthplace was a former colony and school thru early years as such - before coming to the States decades ago to finish up high school - and then further drilled my writing style in college's rethoric class too.

Sticking to post & subject matter - is the grass really greener on the other side, I can say no if it's a contest between NCL & RCCL - one of our friends' opinion is that for better food, go try out Princess - even meals in Le Bristo aren't going to taste better than 4 star land-based gourmet dining venue, but it's the total experience. For that, NCL does a much better job for it overall - the crew, the energy and the looks & feel for it - that "home away from home" theme that wasn't on our ship last week.

• 1 month later...

I was on NCL Star in September 2011 and the last night at sea was lobster night. The lobster was a 6 oz tail which is what I expected. It was chewy but NOT rubber-like; I recall it was tasty. I asked about having a 2nd serving of lobster tail and the waiter brought back tails for my wife & I. :)

We do not eat lobster often these days, maybe once a year. Several years ago, a relative in California was scuba diving and caught his limit of Pacific lobsters and shared several with us. Those were 16-24 ounce lobster tails and they were tasty.:)

+2

It really is an offensive presentation of a Carribean lobster. It is quite similar to an overcooked large shrimp. Perhaps NCL should just serve overcooked large shrimp. It would save everybody some money and end with the same result. I guess they couldn't call it lobster then. Maybe loobster? :D

They call cheap sparkling wine Champagne so why not call shrimp lobster?

Is lobster really so important? Lots of people say that the lobster is awful but why care? Order something else.

My wife and I came back from the Mediterranean cruise two weeks ago on the Spirit. Lobster night was the First night.

Like most, it's 1/2 a tail. Our Server was wonderful when I asked him if he could bring out more. I ended up having 6 pieces. I'm thinking there from 1 pound lobsters. The taste was good.. Not great, not terrible. You can tell they have been frozen for some time.

Brian

We don't eat a lot of lobster but every once in a while it is a nice change. Walking Seattle's Pike Market the day before our cruise we were simply AMAZED at the size of the lobsters they had available for sale in the public fresh market. The tails ALONE on most of those were FAR larger than my hand so they looked like 3 to 10 lb tails (alone so the Lobster they were originally attached to MUST have been HUGE!). Don't expect ANYTHING even resembling an ACTUAL lobster on either NCL, Royal or Carnival lines.

Unfortunately, something was missing on the ones actually served us on the cruise. We decided that they weren't actually LOBsters but rather my 16 year old named them ..."Ob-sters"...think ob-fuscate, ob-struct, ob-jectionable, etc...

My original plate was 1/2 of (maybe) a 1/2lb lobster so the tail was (maybe) 3 ounces TOTAL (including shell). I did ask for another plate while I consumed the salmon (that was "ok"). They did bring me a second plate with 2 FULL tails (4 halves) and they were both about twice the size of the first and FAR better cooked so IMHO it's worth asking for seconds.

The lobster wasn't that bad. It's actually a nice dish. The rice, lobster and red snapper all go well together.

Our server (without asking) brought us two pieces of the lobster each to start and it was plenty along with the apps and salad.

Is it the same as Maine lobster tails you pay $40+ in a restaurant? No. Was it a good meal? Yes.

I like the poster who suggested getting a beef dish to go along. Maybe next cruise we will skip an app and split a steak or prime rib.

To put this into perspective, we just dined at Fleming's steakhouse on land. It's a very pricey chain, similar to Ruth's Chris, but I think it's better.

We ordered a $24/pp appetizer of the "chilled seafood tower." The lobster tail on the tower was the same size as NCL serves. Granted there were other seafood items on the tower, but it just shows that even at a very nice restaurant, you can still get a tiny lobster tail.

That being said, I still think "lobster night" is pretty pathetic and the size could be improved. We skip the crowded dining room with diners that are complaining about the small tails and do a specialty restaurant that night. Because once the group next to you is mad about something, it quickly turns into "everything is wrong and I need to loudly and sarcastically complain to my tablemates and server." Ugh. Thanks for deciding you need to ruin it for others around you, sir and ma'am. I wish complainers would just be a little more polite and consider others around them that may be enjoying their meals. The worst is when some loud guy decides he wants to start ganging up and recruits other tables around him by looking at you and saying, "it's awful, isn't it? I can't believe we are paying for this!" Does that happen all the time? No. Has it happened a few times on both cruises and land restaurants? Yes.

To put this into perspective, we just dined at Fleming's steakhouse on land. It's a very pricey chain, similar to Ruth's Chris, but I think it's better.

We ordered a $24/pp appetizer of the "chilled seafood tower." The lobster tail on the tower was the same size as NCL serves. Granted there were other seafood items on the tower, but it just shows that even at a very nice restaurant, you can still get a tiny lobster tail.

It's not so much how big the tail is (I won't go any further down that path;)) but how the lobster is prepared. It's like fresh corn on the cob and frozen corn on the cob. The frozen corn may do in a pinch but absolutely cannot compare to the fresh. Frozen lobster just isn't as good as fresh, and rock lobster can't compare to Maine lobster.

In my opinion you can't cook lobster for a huge crowd and get it right. They probably steam them or bake them and some stay in the warmer waaaay toooooo loooong. One of the best things about lobster is the texture of a perfectly cooked one. I would rather pay extra in the specialty restaurant than to be disappointed in the MDR with a "rubber lobster".

Having been brought up in the New England area and having had Maine lobster - as the lobster I know and love - well, there is a difference. I have eaten the lobster tails that are served aboard the different NCL's cruise ships and on the most part have enjoyed them but still prefer the Maine lobster. You have to give them a try and decide for yourself. Enjoy !!!!!

i paid 55$ for 13 maine lobsters yesterday and made perfect lobster rolls.....and had lobster salad for bfast and lunch. can't beat maine in the summer!.....will be on the dawn fri and have reservations for le bistro! lol:D

Archived