HAL Excursions vs Own booking

We are sailing on the Veedam to Bermuda in June. On previous cruises we always booked excursions through HAL primarily due to the fact that if they ran late, the ship would wait for us. Since we will be docked in the same port the whole time, what is your take on booking independently?

We are sailing on the Veedam to Bermuda in June. On previous cruises we always booked excursions through HAL primarily due to the fact that if they ran late, the ship would wait for us. Since we will be docked in the same port the whole time, what is your take on booking independently?

What sort of excursions are you looking at? It's so easy to get around in Bermuda that you can do a lot on your own. All bus routes begin in Hamilton, plus there are ferries. If you want to go to a beach, the caves, St Georges, the aquarium, you don't need a ship's excursion.

For some of the boat-based excursions, it might be easier to book with the ship. But if you poke around the internet you can probably find comparable things on your own. You might also try the Bermuda port of call board for info on specific tours.

Our first day we took the "all Island" ship bus ride just to get an overview of the whole island, but after that we just took buses and ferries on our own. I suggest you do a lot of research before you go and then just buy a 3-day bus/ferry pass.

Bermuda isn't a bad place to experiment with doing your own thing - even if you do miss the boat, it's not that far to go to get back home.

The bigger question is how comfortable you are being on your own, making all your own plans, preparing for contingencies (weather, traffic accidents/delays, opening/closing hour changes, etc.) - if you're comfortable with it, then go for it.

In general, I book HAL excursions unless I feel "comfortable" with the area and there is a significant price difference. In alot of ports, the savings is not very much and by bboking HAL you get the security of not missing the ship and further the money you spend goes towards earning you "days" on HAL (one per $300 spent).

DaveOKC

Bermuda isn't a bad place to experiment with doing your own thing - even if you do miss the boat, it's not that far to go to get back home.

The bigger question is how comfortable you are being on your own, making all your own plans, preparing for contingencies (weather, traffic accidents/delays, opening/closing hour changes, etc.) - if you're comfortable with it, then go for it.

Remember that Veendam is in Bermuda for several days, so there's no risk of missing the boat except on the last day. We've always saved that day for things we want to do in Hamilton, so we're never more than a short walk from the ship.

In general, I book HAL excursions unless I feel "comfortable" with the area and there is a significant price difference. In alot of ports, the savings is not very much and by bboking HAL you get the security of not missing the ship and further the money you spend goes towards earning you "days" on HAL (one per $300 spent).

DaveOKC

I agree that the port affects whether we take a ship's tour or go out on our own. How "comfortable" we are with the place and also how far it is to the attractions we want to see. Bermuda is a place where we feel very comfortable about touring on our own.

Archived