OK....let's be honest here (Chogs)

jakeHOU97

Have you ever chogged? (Be Honest)  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever chogged? (Be Honest)

• Never have, never will
    • Never have, but may in future
    • Only a few times under 10 mins
    • A few times approx 30 mins-1 hr
    • Many times approx 30 mins-1hr
    • A few times for multiple hrs
    • Many times for multiple hours

I am an early riser so in the morning I like to just pre hog some chairs before the other hogs get there.

I don't care for the pool,to many spoiled kids for me

I will get a chair on the upper deck and see how long it takes for someone to move those towels,just a little something fun on at sea days.

It's just a towel move it and stand your ground if you want that chair.

That chair hog might say something but just look at them and they will move on.

No I have never hogged a chair.

But I went to Galveston the week and on the 4th took the grandkids to the beach early before it got to hot and you should have seen all the beach hogs. There were ezups all up and down the beach and no one around. When we were getting ready to leave about noon they all started showing up. Made me laugh and really wish September would get here for my next cruise.

I'm from So Cal, so I have no intense fascination with 5' deep postage-stamp-sized pools filled with urinating excitement-deprived snow bunnies. This is where all the chogging is occurring, so a nice quiet deck close to snacks and a cool beer, away from all the madness is desirable for me. Never a problem. :)

Is it okay to sit at any vacant chair (one that has been vacant for a bit) until the "owner" returns? It would seem reasonable to do so, but I don't really want to be yelled at by irate people thinking I'm encroaching on their territory.

Sure it is Ok, but if someone is rude enough to do this they will most likely be the type of person that would yell at you or at least be rude to you.

I just don't get why some people think they are better than another...

I am an early riser so in the morning I like to just pre hog some chairs before the other hogs get there.

I don't care for the pool,to many spoiled kids for me

I will get a chair on the upper deck and see how long it takes for someone to move those towels,just a little something fun on at sea days.

It's just a towel move it and stand your ground if you want that chair.

That chair hog might say something but just look at them and they will move on.

I like your experiment!

Never. I get up early and do get one of the better lounges with an umbrella on the Serenity deck. I only leave to get a drink and am back quickly. I stay for about 3 hours then I'm off to other things.

I'll ask the person in the next chair to watch my stuff while I'm gone and hae always returned promptly.

Can't stand chair hogs.

Even though there are a lot of us here, I think on most ships there are a lot of people who do not read these forums. I choose to think that CHOGS don't read the boards and don't know better. I can't imagine anyone doing it if they knew how much they are "hated."I never want to get up early enough to do it.

Before I joined this board, I had no idea what chair hogging even was. Truth be told, I had never even noticed signs about the 30 minute rule.

I say my DH and I are Chogs, but not to the extent of some. We wake early, go to the buffet 7ish and put our towels out while eating. We are already in our swimsuits, so we start laying out right after eating. We do stay out all day tanning, so in a sense we ARE Chogs. We do not go to our room and leave our belongings behind, as when we're done for a while, we're done for the day. I recently acquired a couple of hogs to put down with our towels on our next cruise....:D

I say my DH and I are Chogs, but not to the extent of some. We wake early, go to the buffet 7ish and put our towels out while eating. We are already in our swimsuits, so we start laying out right after eating. We do stay out all day tanning, so in a sense we ARE Chogs. We do not go to our room and leave our belongings behind, as when we're done for a while, we're done for the day. I recently acquired a couple of hogs to put down with our towels on our next cruise....:D

Makes me want to print off a couple of piggy pics to stick on a chair or two. LOL

I dont think you are chogs at all. IMHO if you are really using the chairs and not just "saving" them for possible use for yourself or others hours from now then go for it. If you park yourself and are there all day that is well within your rights. Nowhere is is written than you can only use them for a certain amount of time.

When hubby and I go to the resorts in Myrtle Beach we notice alot of Chogging.

As we drive down - we pack a couple of the over the shoulder type chairs that we call soccer chairs.

Pop them out and you can sit where ever you like!

We usually get some nice spots that way as they are smaller than the loungers and fit into places they won't.

Too bad we can't bring them on our cruise - I might be tempted to park them right in front of the notorious Choggers!

Well, I think I along with most others here might think that chair hogs are public enemy number 1 here on CC.....but I've seen it so much that if everyone didn't like chair hogging there would be not as much hogging on Cruises.

So lets be honest, have you EVER been a chairhog, and for what reason and how long?:cool:

Never a deck chair....but I have been known to hog a bar stool for long periods of time! :D

I hate lying in the sun on a ship while I can be doing actual activities. In almost 30 cruises, the only time I remember snoozing on a chair was an Alaskan cruise when it was very pleasant outside and I only stayed about 15 minutes. Laying in the sun is so hot and boring and I don't need to coax the skin cancer either!

Now hubby, on the other hand, lays out all day long soaking up the rays but gets a chair on an upper deck. When my son was young on a Mexican Riviera cruise, he was in charge of the kid-watching at the pool. He failed when son got a very bad sunburn on a very overcast day causing a couple of visits to the ship's doctor for treatment.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon9.gif

I get enough sun while we are beaching in ports!

Lucky, I think it depends on where you sit. The areas by the pools are notorious chair hogging grounds. I was on the Dream last year in late August. If you were not up at the crack of dawn (and I mean that literally) then you didn't get a chair. People would leave stuff on their chairs for the entire day. I honestly didn't feel like fighting people so I went upstairs and enjoyed the Serenity deck (where I didn't experience a lot of chair hogging).

People have actually posted pictures on here on people chair hogging. One picture was a huge section of chairs by the pool with no one sitting in them, but all had towels, bags, etc on them.

We always sit by the pool. Sorry but I still contend this happens rarely as I haven't seen this in 12 cruises

I've been on 25 Carnival cruises and I've seen it on every cruise I have been on...Its funny just walking around the deck above the pool and watch people scurrying around putting stuff on chairs between 7:00 and 8:00 am..But lets just wait and see what Carnival will do about it, I'll bet they will need one of those big rolling canvas laundry hamper.....:0.Dennis

I voted "Never have, never will..." but it isn't necessarily a grand gesture on my part, since I never have and never will see any purpose for dominating a chair.

There are chairs all over the ship, and some deck areas are like long abandoned ghost towns (oh no, don't want to bring up that topic again!) Not only that, but the most popular chairs are often propped around one of those 10-million LED monstrosity screens, and the last thing I want to see in the middle of the ocean is a giant TV.

And finally, what is the deal with some people that they need their *sses attached to a chair for hours on end? Why does it seem like these sedentary beings are probably couch potatoes when they're home, with their favorite seat fiercely guarded against any trespassers? I can see getting a little rest and relaxation, but wow...

YES I have been a chair hog.. First few time before I knew the rules. Then I was reformed and did not chair hog for awhile. But on my last cruise I was a CHOG My sister, our friend and I got up early and hit the lido. We saved FIVE chairs.

earlyCH.jpg

Then the three of us sat in three of the five chair for HOURS till my parent appeared on deck.

seaday.jpg

We then spent another few hours enjoying those chairs. When the festivities began (hairy chest contest etc) we gave them up as it was too crazy for them.

I will never apologize for those few hours of chogging. Neither of my parents could navigate the stadium seating. And it was the last few hours I'd ever spend "on deck" with my dad.

YES I have been a chair hog.. First few time before I knew the rules. Then I was reformed and did not chair hog for awhile. But on my last cruise I was a CHOG My sister, our friend and I got up early and hit the lido. We saved FIVE chairs.

earlyCH.jpg

Then the three of us sat in three of the five chair for HOURS till my parent appeared on deck.

seaday.jpg

We then spent another few hours enjoying those chairs. When the festivities began (hairy chest contest etc) we gave them up as it was too crazy for them.

I will never apologize for those few hours of chogging. Neither of my parents could navigate the stadium seating. And it was the last few hours I'd ever spend "on deck" with my dad.

I don't consider this chogging because at least you were in the chairs. I consider chogging when no one is in ANY of the chairs and just a towel or one small item is there and no one has been around for hours. (Early in the morning)

And I admire your consideration for your parents and I am glad the had the time on the deck. Sometimes "rank" should have it's privileges. I am glad you all had that time together.

On the other hand, my DH is a different type of chair hog. He will stay in a chair ALL day and only get up to go the bathroom. They bring drinks to him and he will skip eating to worship the sun. He isn't picky where the chair is on the deck as long as it is in the sun. I don't know how he does it, a hour or so and I am done. That is why I like cruising, I can always find something else to entertain me!

Archived