Spa "service charge"?

mimbecky

Just made a reservation for a spa treatment. On the total for payment it says "service charge" and is 15%. Is this an automatic prepaid tip or am I to tip more at the time of service? I haven't experienced this on the other cruise lines we have cruised on.

yes this isyour tip. You can feel free to give more if you think the service warrants it. I usually wait until I get on board to book spa services. They usually run specials after the first day,,,Unless you have this time as a priority

What I object to is paying a 15% "service charge", for something that requires no services. We bought a cruise-long pass to the Persian Garden on Century, and yes -- they automatically add that service charge. I realize that they have to tidy the room and make sure that the towels are re-stocked. But they do that in other parts of the ship (like the gym) without a "service charge". That's probably the last time we'll ever pay for a Persian Garden pass. We'll just use our Elite "port-day" free pass. :mad:

What I object to is paying a 15% "service charge", for something that requires no services. We bought a cruise-long pass to the Persian Garden on Century, and yes -- they automatically add that service charge. I realize that they have to tidy the room and make sure that the towels are re-stocked. But they do that in other parts of the ship (like the gym) without a "service charge". That's probably the last time we'll ever pay for a Persian Garden pass. We'll just use our Elite "port-day" free pass. :mad:

Iagree with you on this

Don't know about the newer ships, but there was no "free" steam room on Century. There may have been a dry sauna in the mens/womens dressing rooms, but both DH and I prefer steam. The Persian Gardens had two steam rooms: a "light" steam/aromotherapy room, and a traditional hot steam room. BTW -- all the Persian Gardens facilities are unisex.

yes this isyour tip. You can feel free to give more if you think the service warrants it. I usually wait until I get on board to book spa services. They usually run specials after the first day,,,Unless you have this time as a priority

Agreed. The spa really inflates their prices big time. They seem to have a business model of trying to get as many people as they can to prebook at these exorbitant prices through trying to claim that if you do not book early, you will not get a slot. In reality the spa is almost never even close to fully booked and during the cruise they start advertising discounts, sometimes deep discounts (as much as 50% off). I would highly recommend not pre-booking a spa treatment, but waiting until at least a couple of days in and looking for specials.

And if you go right to the spa when you board, you might even be asked to be a "model" for one of the treatments, and receive that FREE! My SIL and I were asked on the Century, and she chose to "Model" the seaweed wrap and massage, I chose to eat and tour the ship!

On our last cruise on the Mercury, when I went directly to the spa upon boarding, they were offering 50% off Hot stone masages, which also included an extra 15 minutes scalp massage...but it was for when the ship departed. Since I'd already experienced the ship leaving Baltimore, I grabbed it! I also got an additional massage for 25% off the regular price by booking it at the same time. I had that one the night before we got back to Baltimore! GREAT beginning and ending of a cruise. I hope to be able to get a special like this on our cruise on the 27th! :)

Agreed. The spa really inflates their prices big time. They seem to have a business model of trying to get as many people as they can to prebook at these exorbitant prices through trying to claim that if you do not book early, you will not get a slot. In reality the spa is almost never even close to fully booked and during the cruise they start advertising discounts, sometimes deep discounts (as much as 50% off). I would highly recommend not pre-booking a spa treatment, but waiting until at least a couple of days in and looking for specials.

Very good info here. We are booked in AquaClass and while I have no interest in the Spa stuff other than the Persian Garden (I do love me some steam rooms), I know my wife to be loves all of that silliness.

Will they still drop prices so dramatically if it is only a 7 day cruise? Are these discounts given in the dailies that appear in (I presume) the staterooms? Or do we just have to check everyday to see what might be discounted?

Thanks.

In my experience you have to ask at the spa reception daily what is on offer for that day, when it is a port day they have to entice people to stay on board and spend money so these days are a good bet. I will be doing this on my forthcoming cruise as we will be visiting ports we have regularly been to.

Archived